Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,727 Members 52,612 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM] Ubuntu Developer Preview (Toro port)

Tip us?
 
jimmyco2008
Old
#111  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 97
Posts: 746
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
I'm glued to development by XDA devs so far... And so far there's a version of the phablet.zip without all the filler crap like music and such... Not sure if that makes anything functional, but it's a step in the right direction.

I'm wondering if Canonical saw all the posts here about how Canonical should work with XDA... And they released this hoping XDA people would finish the job? Like why release it so people here can improve it, when Canonical is going to do the same in who knows how long? So maybe as soon as Canonical releases a CDMA version, someone finally ported the radios for CDMA, like that would suck...
 
kdb424
Old
#112  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 104
Posts: 266
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyco2008 View Post
I'm glued to development by XDA devs so far... And so far there's a version of the phablet.zip without all the filler crap like music and such... Not sure if that makes anything functional, but it's a step in the right direction.

I'm wondering if Canonical saw all the posts here about how Canonical should work with XDA... And they released this hoping XDA people would finish the job? Like why release it so people here can improve it, when Canonical is going to do the same in who knows how long? So maybe as soon as Canonical releases a CDMA version, someone finally ported the radios for CDMA, like that would suck...
Anything that's supported by CM10.1 (Including the toro and toro+) can be built from source right now. My machine is failing hard right now or I'd pt builds up.
Current:
Nexus 4
Transformer Prime

Retired:
Nexus 7 (Bricked in minutes)
Nook HD+ (Bricked)
LG Viper
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Toro)
HTC Thunderbolt (Mecha)
HTC Incredible (OG)
The Following User Says Thank You to kdb424 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Spaniard85
Old
#113  
Spaniard85's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 346
Join Date: Jul 2010
Just wanted to say thanks for this! Can't wait to get home and flash this bad boy later. I've really been itching for something new to play with.
LG G2

Retail Consultant, Sprint
 
JPBeard21
Old
#114  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 70
Posts: 268
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lacombe, LA
Default Re: [ROM] Ubuntu Developer Preview (Toro port)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaniard85 View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for this! Can't wait to get home and flash this bad boy later. I've really been itching for something new to play with.
Don't expect much to work. About the only thing working is browser and slow at that. It's a developer preview build. Nice to check out how the UI works though and has lots of promise.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
 
Mix3d
Old
#115  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 923
Posts: 552
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Amherst

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb424 View Post
Props goes to eng.stk for how to unofficially flash the GSM images. I have modified his quote to include this devices links, and Im' sorry for not asking to quote him. The only credit I take is for modifying one line to make it flash to our devices. The rest goes to the UbuntuOS team and eng.stk
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1#post38285911

...

Questions?

What is the one line you changed? I can't access your download location due to firewall issues, but am comfortable making changes to the files myself. Really looking forward to trying this out. Thanks!
 
Spaniard85
Old
#116  
Spaniard85's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 346
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeard21 View Post
Don't expect much to work. About the only thing working is browser and slow at that. It's a developer preview build. Nice to check out how the UI works though and has lots of promise.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Ya I had that expectation going in. I knew things would be pretty rough, but overall it was still pretty fun to see. It's a fresh take, and I'm definitely looking for to this thing evolving.
LG G2

Retail Consultant, Sprint
 
Dark Lazer
Old
#117  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 24
Posts: 142
Join Date: Aug 2010
So apparently there are nightlies coming out now? http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-tou...-preinstalled/

Click on the 20130226 folder and you will find nightlies, but they are for Maguro (among others). Would someone be able to port the newest nightly to toro? If I knew what line to change in the code, I would.

Apparently the newest nightly is noticably better and includes some apps, atleast according to a post over on the general discussion thread.
 
JPBeard21
Old
(Last edited by JPBeard21; 27th February 2013 at 10:52 AM.)
#118  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 70
Posts: 268
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lacombe, LA
Default Re: [ROM] Ubuntu Developer Preview (Toro port)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lazer View Post
So apparently there are nightlies coming out now? http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-tou...-preinstalled/

Click on the 20130226 folder and you will find nightlies, but they are for Maguro (among others). Would someone be able to port the newest nightly to toro? If I knew what line to change in the code, I would.

Apparently the newest nightly is noticably better and includes some apps, atleast according to a post over on the general discussion thread.
If you can find one of the nightlies in a CWM zip format, using the Toro_Ubuntu.zip as an example here. Open the zip and go to this directory,
/META-INF/com/google/android/ and you should see the updater-script file. Open with text editor and you will see on the first line "assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "maguro" ||". I believe only thing that was changed was that first line from maguro to toro. I know not about creating flashable zips so unsure about best method to make that change and save it along with flashing functionality. Good luck.

Edit: I mentioned I was using the Toro_Ubuntu.zip as an example and the first line in the updater-script file in this modified zip would actually read "assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "toro" ||". Unmodified would be maguro in place of toro as I put in post earlier. Just to clarify.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to JPBeard21 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
barrackOBAMA
Old
#119  
barrackOBAMA's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 299
Posts: 571
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default Re: [ROM] Ubuntu Developer Preview (Toro port)

So while installing this,

Do I just factory reset in twrp?

Like am I supposed to wipe cache before?

I would have imaged it would be a full wipe

Sent from club Clean Rom
 
JPBeard21
Old
#120  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 70
Posts: 268
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lacombe, LA
Default Re: [ROM] Ubuntu Developer Preview (Toro port)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrackOBAMA View Post
So while installing this,

Do I just factory reset in twrp?

Like am I supposed to wipe cache before?

I would have imaged it would be a full wipe

Sent from club Clean Rom
Do factory,system,cache and dalvik. Then install in order from OP. No wipe after flashing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes