Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[ROM] Ubuntu Developer Preview (Toro port)

OP kdb424

23rd February 2013, 05:13 PM   |  #111  
Senior Member
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks Meter: 97
 
746 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
I'm glued to development by XDA devs so far... And so far there's a version of the phablet.zip without all the filler crap like music and such... Not sure if that makes anything functional, but it's a step in the right direction.

I'm wondering if Canonical saw all the posts here about how Canonical should work with XDA... And they released this hoping XDA people would finish the job? Like why release it so people here can improve it, when Canonical is going to do the same in who knows how long? So maybe as soon as Canonical releases a CDMA version, someone finally ported the radios for CDMA, like that would suck...
23rd February 2013, 07:50 PM   |  #112  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 161
 
336 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyco2008

I'm glued to development by XDA devs so far... And so far there's a version of the phablet.zip without all the filler crap like music and such... Not sure if that makes anything functional, but it's a step in the right direction.

I'm wondering if Canonical saw all the posts here about how Canonical should work with XDA... And they released this hoping XDA people would finish the job? Like why release it so people here can improve it, when Canonical is going to do the same in who knows how long? So maybe as soon as Canonical releases a CDMA version, someone finally ported the radios for CDMA, like that would suck...

Anything that's supported by CM10.1 (Including the toro and toro+) can be built from source right now. My machine is failing hard right now or I'd pt builds up.
The Following User Says Thank You to kdb424 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th February 2013, 10:31 PM   |  #113  
Spaniard85's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 65
 
416 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Just wanted to say thanks for this! Can't wait to get home and flash this bad boy later. I've really been itching for something new to play with.
25th February 2013, 01:07 AM   |  #114  
Senior Member
Flag Lacombe, LA
Thanks Meter: 71
 
282 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2008
More
Re: [ROM] Ubuntu Developer Preview (Toro port)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaniard85

Just wanted to say thanks for this! Can't wait to get home and flash this bad boy later. I've really been itching for something new to play with.

Don't expect much to work. About the only thing working is browser and slow at that. It's a developer preview build. Nice to check out how the UI works though and has lots of promise.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
25th February 2013, 07:54 AM   |  #115  
Senior Member
Flag Amherst
Thanks Meter: 932
 
562 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2008
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb424

Props goes to eng.stk for how to unofficially flash the GSM images. I have modified his quote to include this devices links, and Im' sorry for not asking to quote him. The only credit I take is for modifying one line to make it flash to our devices. The rest goes to the UbuntuOS team and eng.stk
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1#post38285911

...

Questions?


What is the one line you changed? I can't access your download location due to firewall issues, but am comfortable making changes to the files myself. Really looking forward to trying this out. Thanks!
25th February 2013, 08:47 PM   |  #116  
Spaniard85's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 65
 
416 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeard21

Don't expect much to work. About the only thing working is browser and slow at that. It's a developer preview build. Nice to check out how the UI works though and has lots of promise.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ya I had that expectation going in. I knew things would be pretty rough, but overall it was still pretty fun to see. It's a fresh take, and I'm definitely looking for to this thing evolving.
27th February 2013, 10:02 AM   |  #117  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 25
 
145 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
So apparently there are nightlies coming out now? http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-tou...-preinstalled/

Click on the 20130226 folder and you will find nightlies, but they are for Maguro (among others). Would someone be able to port the newest nightly to toro? If I knew what line to change in the code, I would.

Apparently the newest nightly is noticably better and includes some apps, atleast according to a post over on the general discussion thread.
27th February 2013, 11:45 AM   |  #118  
Senior Member
Flag Lacombe, LA
Thanks Meter: 71
 
282 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2008
More
Re: [ROM] Ubuntu Developer Preview (Toro port)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lazer

So apparently there are nightlies coming out now? http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-tou...-preinstalled/

Click on the 20130226 folder and you will find nightlies, but they are for Maguro (among others). Would someone be able to port the newest nightly to toro? If I knew what line to change in the code, I would.

Apparently the newest nightly is noticably better and includes some apps, atleast according to a post over on the general discussion thread.

If you can find one of the nightlies in a CWM zip format, using the Toro_Ubuntu.zip as an example here. Open the zip and go to this directory,
/META-INF/com/google/android/ and you should see the updater-script file. Open with text editor and you will see on the first line "assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "maguro" ||". I believe only thing that was changed was that first line from maguro to toro. I know not about creating flashable zips so unsure about best method to make that change and save it along with flashing functionality. Good luck.

Edit: I mentioned I was using the Toro_Ubuntu.zip as an example and the first line in the updater-script file in this modified zip would actually read "assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "toro" ||". Unmodified would be maguro in place of toro as I put in post earlier. Just to clarify.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by JPBeard21; 27th February 2013 at 11:52 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JPBeard21 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th February 2013, 01:00 PM   |  #119  
barrackOBAMA's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 334
 
579 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Re: [ROM] Ubuntu Developer Preview (Toro port)
So while installing this,

Do I just factory reset in twrp?

Like am I supposed to wipe cache before?

I would have imaged it would be a full wipe

Sent from club Clean Rom
27th February 2013, 01:08 PM   |  #120  
Senior Member
Flag Lacombe, LA
Thanks Meter: 71
 
282 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2008
More
Re: [ROM] Ubuntu Developer Preview (Toro port)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrackOBAMA

So while installing this,

Do I just factory reset in twrp?

Like am I supposed to wipe cache before?

I would have imaged it would be a full wipe

Sent from club Clean Rom

Do factory,system,cache and dalvik. Then install in order from OP. No wipe after flashing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes