Browse Your Files with Ease using MK Explorer

Google has made quite an effort in perfecting the powerful and multi-faceted OS that we know as … more

How to Fix the Nexus Available Storage Bug – XDA TV

Is your Nexus device only showing half of the available storage as it should? Many … more

Don’t Forget About Birthdays with Birthday Reminder

A person’s birthday is, without a doubt,one of the most important days in his … more

Don’t Fear Flashing with I Don’t Want You!

The XDA message boards are full of various modifications, with many of these helping … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Just ordered a gen samsung keyboard for tab2

OP Clippernote

11th July 2014, 04:47 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

19 posts
Hi I own a note 10.1 2012 model and bought a genuine samsung keyboard k12 I think but the size and pins are the same so my question is will it work on the note 10.1 I, m aware that the k14 is the correct model number for the note, but the tab 10.1 keyboard is much cheaper and still available. I will get it by monday so fingers crossed it will work fine? Your thoughts please?
Jay
Last edited by Clippernote; 11th July 2014 at 04:55 PM.
11th July 2014, 05:09 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 43

130 posts
I believe that the Note 10.1 is too big to fit into that keyboard dock unfortunately.
The Following User Says Thank You to link6155 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th July 2014, 05:17 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by link6155

I believe that the Note 10.1 is too big to fit into that keyboard dock unfortunately.

Really? I thought the tab2 10.1 and note 10.1 was same size all round?
No you are right note case is about 10mm wider I've canceled the order thanks for the quick reply it saved me time and money glad I joined this forum now!
Many thanks link6155 for the heads up?

I just wondered I have a docking station and if I got a double headed cable linking to keyboard to docking station then stick the note on top of the docking station would it pick up the keyboard?
Last edited by Clippernote; 11th July 2014 at 05:26 PM.
11th July 2014, 08:29 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 43

130 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippernote

Really? I thought the tab2 10.1 and note 10.1 was same size all round?
No you are right note case is about 10mm wider I've canceled the order thanks for the quick reply it saved me time and money glad I joined this forum now!
Many thanks link6155 for the heads up?

I just wondered I have a docking station and if I got a double headed cable linking to keyboard to docking station then stick the note on top of the docking station would it pick up the keyboard?

Since they both have the same number of pins, I think it would work, but I could be wrong. I have a HDMI dock designed for the Tab 7.0. At first, my Note 10.1 wouldn't fit into the tray since it was designed for the Tab 7.0, however, once I cut the whole front side off and trimmed the side down, it worked flawlessly with my Note 10.1
11th July 2014, 09:04 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by link6155

Since they both have the same number of pins, I think it would work, but I could be wrong. I have a HDMI dock designed for the Tab 7.0. At first, my Note 10.1 wouldn't fit into the tray since it was designed for the Tab 7.0, however, once I cut the whole front side off and trimmed the side down, it worked flawlessly with my Note 10.1

There is always some kind of modding that works well shame we have to resort to getting around the individual 30Pin system

I bought the EDD-D100BE docking station awhile back because I couldn't decide whether to go blue tooth keyboard and use the dock.
I didn't fancy paying the 50 odd pounds for a K14 either.
I like the K14 for only one reason it won't drain out the battery from blue tooth being on. But then again there is no battery compartment for the keyboard either??

Looks like I can buy a female 30 pin to 30 pin male so in theory the female 30 pin should plug into the cheap K12 keyboard then the male end plugs into the docking station and the Note 10.1 sits nicely on the docking station 30 pin?
5.00 for the cable
19.00 for the K12?
Total= 24.00 half the price of a K14. Its a long winded way of getting around this problem which leads me back to a generic Bluetooth keyboard, but it can be charged whilst on a docking station plugged into the charger?

I've ordered a OTG female USB cable for the docking station and I'm going to try it with my Logitech keyboard or mouse first.

I can see in reality you would only spend that kind of money if you typed a lot, but I can see majority most people who have bought a K14 doesn't really use it that much?
12th July 2014, 03:49 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 61

471 posts
More
i have a genuine samsung keyboard for a tab 10.1 and it don't fit my note 10.1 i was looking at getting one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1908908009...84.m1423.l2649
or just get my dremil out and file out 5mm from each side of the keyboard.
13th July 2014, 01:17 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
I could Carol but Dremeling a brand new not fitting keyboard seems just wrong LOL!
It would be risky to stress that small adapter point it could break?
I've found a possible solution to my needs .
I found a dedicated three port USB 2.0 adapter for the note 10.1
The difference on this one is there is a small charge port (DC5V) that has an external power supply to feed any portable devices like flash drives or keyboards. The problems with the current adapters seems to me that if it uses the note's power directly it will not recognise the device as it draws too much power from the Note so if there is a external power source actually on the USB adapter it should just pick up data passes instead?
Here is what I'm considering
Sorry cant post link so will give you Egay id no.

eBay item number:

The only thing I would like to know is will the Note only pick up one device at a time if I have three USB ports connected to it?
It would be nice to run a USB keyboard and mouse at the same time using an external 5V power supply and not drain out the Note?
Last edited by Clippernote; 13th July 2014 at 01:31 PM. Reason: spelling
14th July 2014, 03:53 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 61

471 posts
More
i have done it i removed the black surround and cut away the bottom section and it works needs a bit of trimming.
the keyboard i used was a uk one as it has the sign on the number 3 button all the one's on ebay don't
have that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	key1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	2850774   Click image for larger version

Name:	key3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	2850775   Click image for larger version

Name:	key.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	2850776   Click image for larger version

Name:	key2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	2850777  
Last edited by carols; 14th July 2014 at 03:55 PM.
16th July 2014, 02:55 PM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carols

i have done it i removed the black surround and cut away the bottom section and it works needs a bit of trimming.
the keyboard i used was a uk one as it has the sign on the number 3 button all the one's on ebay don't
have that.

Nice modding can't hardly see the cuts guessing a bit of light sanding with dremel and it would look OEM!
My USB OTG connector came and very happy.

I've tested my Logitech anywhere MX mouse and work a treat!
The Logitech(EX110) keyboard works well.
The SD card reader picks up all is good (scan disk)
The set up now is the note is on the docking station and the 30pin connection is connected to the USB and all works well together!
I don't need to buy a mouse or keyboard anymore as I can use the desktop ones aswell 3 well spent!
Did try the flash drive and external hardrive and demands too much power for connection, but I'll buy that three USB self powered one for testing next and see if it will work?

Just found an old hub and testing went well dual keyboard and mouse working perfectly also recognises the SD card reader to boot!

Last edited by Clippernote; 16th July 2014 at 04:30 PM. Reason: addtional info

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread