Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,995 Members 48,061 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Note 10.1 Boot Loop. Can't access recovery mode

Tip us?

kyleschepis
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Tablet [Q] Note 10.1 Boot Loop. Can't access recovery mode

Hi. I have a Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet. I went to turn it on this morning and it for stuck in a boot loop. all it says it "Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1" and then shuts off. I try and into recovery and the TWRP title screen shows up and then immediately turns off. What should I do?

raducux
Old
Thanks Meter 168
Try flashing stock rom through odin

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

kyleschepis
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by raducux View Post
Try flashing stock rom through odin

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
Is the Stock Rom the same thing as a Stock Recovery? If not, where would I find a Stock Rom and how do I install it?

JJEgan
Old
Thanks Meter 4,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleschepis View Post
Is the Stock Rom the same thing as a Stock Recovery? If not, where would I find a Stock Rom and how do I install it?

Answer no but it includes stock everything .
Stock roms on the forum or sammobile.com samsung-updates .com .

kyleschepis
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Would flashing the stock ROM erase everything from the tablet? Is there a way to retrieve the files from it in download mode?

robb-x
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Bootloop - No Recovery Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleschepis View Post
Would flashing the stock ROM erase everything from the tablet? Is there a way to retrieve the files from it in download mode?
Hi all,

I have a similar issue to kyleschepis.

I am not using a custom ROM. I have the stock ROM that came with the GT-N8013.

My issue started a week ago. My Galaxy Note had been having occasional issues with the external SD card. A warning would appear saying that the SD card had been removed, and a couple of seconds later it would re-mount and every thing was fine.

But last week, I picked up my note and turned the screen on (it was already started) and noticed the warning message while the screen was still locked. Then, as the second message was still being displayed letting me know that the SD card had been mounted, I swipe the screen to unlock. But instead of unlocking, my Note completely rebooted. It got as far as the logo screen (displaying "Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1"), but would go no further.

I AM able to get into the Odin download mode but CANNOT get into recovery mode no matter what I do.

I have tried re-flashing the stock ROM ("KIES_HOME_N8013UEUCMI3_N8013XARCMI3_813049_RE V00 _user_low_ship.tar.md5") several times, as well as trying to install customer recovery modes like CWM and TWRP, as well as the stock recovery. The installation in Odin seems to run fine - I get the "PASS" message at the end of the prodedure. But the power + volume up combination does NOT get me into recovery mode. Even if, as many have suggested, I continue holding the button combination until the logo screen displays a second or a third time.

I have been without my Note for a full week now, and I use it for everything. So, any help I can get would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

tcm13
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Boot loop (soft brick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb-x View Post
Hi all,

I have a similar issue to kyleschepis.

I am not using a custom ROM. I have the stock ROM that came with the GT-N8013.

My issue started a week ago. My Galaxy Note had been having occasional issues with the external SD card. A warning would appear saying that the SD card had been removed, and a couple of seconds later it would re-mount and every thing was fine.

But last week, I picked up my note and turned the screen on (it was already started) and noticed the warning message while the screen was still locked. Then, as the second message was still being displayed letting me know that the SD card had been mounted, I swipe the screen to unlock. But instead of unlocking, my Note completely rebooted. It got as far as the logo screen (displaying "Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1"), but would go no further.

I AM able to get into the Odin download mode but CANNOT get into recovery mode no matter what I do.

I have tried re-flashing the stock ROM ("KIES_HOME_N8013UEUCMI3_N8013XARCMI3_813049_RE V00 _user_low_ship.tar.md5") several times, as well as trying to install customer recovery modes like CWM and TWRP, as well as the stock recovery. The installation in Odin seems to run fine - I get the "PASS" message at the end of the prodedure. But the power + volume up combination does NOT get me into recovery mode. Even if, as many have suggested, I continue holding the button combination until the logo screen displays a second or a third time.

I have been without my Note for a full week now, and I use it for everything. So, any help I can get would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob
I am having near the same experience as rob-x. I have had problems with some files on my SD card missing or arbitrarily renamed. I had the tab on charge and the next day it was looping through the boot screen,
I have tried flashing the firmware with Odin and also CWM, without results. I am unable to boot into recovery, only into download.
Also the only way to turn the machine off is to plug it in to charger then hold the on/off until the screen goes black.
My next plan is to flash the PIT and the firmware at the same time,

robb-x
Old
(Last edited by robb-x; 28th February 2014 at 11:10 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcm13 View Post
I am having near the same experience as rob-x. I have had problems with some files on my SD card missing or arbitrarily renamed. I had the tab on charge and the next day it was looping through the boot screen,
I have tried flashing the firmware with Odin and also CWM, without results. I am unable to boot into recovery, only into download.
Also the only way to turn the machine off is to plug it in to charger then hold the on/off until the screen goes black.
My next plan is to flash the PIT and the firmware at the same time,
Hi tcm13,

Three weeks later and I am still none the wiser with my Note. It is still caught in the bootloop.

I can tell you that I have tried flashing the PIT and the stock firmware, but in my case it did not help. You are welcome to try. It didn't get any worse, but it did not get any better either. I have also tried flashing the stock German and UK ROMs for the GT-N8010 (mine is the US GT-N8013) with or without the PIT. These both fail fairly early on in the flashing process. But the behavior of the device does not change. Still the same bootloop, stuck at the same place.

Sorry for the bad news. Like I said, in my case flashing the PIT didn't help, but I have read on forums that people did have success with it. So it is definitely worth trying. It doesn't make things any worse, any way.

Let me know how it goes for you.

Topazzar
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Ditto, same issue. I can flash a .tar file (I have tried CF-Auto and TRWP) in download mode using Odin but can't get the device into recovery mode.

It is just boot looping to the Samsung GALAXY Note 10.1 screen every 15-20 seconds. Can't even turn the damn thing off to save battery!!

tcm13
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topazzar View Post
Ditto, same issue. I can flash a .tar file (I have tried CF-Auto and TRWP) in download mode using Odin but can't get the device into recovery mode.

It is just boot looping to the Samsung GALAXY Note 10.1 screen every 15-20 seconds. Can't even turn the damn thing off to save battery!!
Hi,
I have been able to turn the device off by plugging it in to charge then hold the on/off down until the screen goes dark.

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb-x View Post
Hi tcm13,

Three weeks later and I am still none the wiser with my Note. It is still caught in the bootloop.

I can tell you that I have tried flashing the PIT and the stock firmware, but in my case it did not help. You are welcome to try. It didn't get any worse, but it did not get any better either. I have also tried flashing the stock German and UK ROMs for the GT-N8010 (mine is the US GT-N8013) with or without the PIT. These both fail fairly early on in the flashing process. But the behavior of the device does not change. Still the same bootloop, stuck at the same place.

Sorry for the bad news. Like I said, in my case flashing the PIT didn't help, but I have read on forums that people did have success with it. So it is definitely worth trying. It doesn't make things any worse, any way.

Let me know how it goes for you.

Hi,

I have tried all and every PIT, ROM custom or not, and various recoveries without success.

I presume, as opposed to assume that it is a hardware fault.

Faulty SD card reading, random freezing, crashes and long charging cycles lead me to surmise some basic fault is the cause, also seeing that my device is not the only one to have been stricken.

I have now surrendered my system to the "tender mercies" of the appointed Samsung technicians as my device is still under warranty.

I dislike admitting defeat but I have gone as far as I can without picking up a screwdriver.

Let hear if you have found another alternative.