Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,819 Members 40,957 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unrooting Note 10.1 so Sky Go works

Tip us?

fatarnie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy Unrooting Note 10.1 so Sky Go works

I have a Note 10.1 where I rooted the stock rom a while back for reasons I can't even remember.

I now need to get the Sky Go Tablet app (http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Archived...e/td-p/1505025) running so I can watch the Hungarian GP when I'm on holiday (don't panic I can mask my location as UK with VPN) The GT-N8000 is a supported device for Sky Go.

The trouble I have is that the Sky Go app looks for rooted devices and gives a splash screen indicating the app cannot be used on a rooted device.

I tried a plethora of "unroot" apps, and then ran some root checkers which said my device was not rooted. Sky Go still says it is.

So last night I downloaded a stock rom to the device from Sammobile:

Model: GT-N8000
Model name: GALAXY Note 10.1
PDA: N8000XXCMF1

I installed this rom and Sky Go still says my device is rooted,

Does anyone know how I can fix this???

SSThing
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Apparently this works:-
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...yroot&hl=en_GB

fatarnie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
There is no root on the device, its a stock rom.

running the app you suggest gives an error "no su binary"

link6155
Old
Thanks Meter 34
You can use this xposed module to hide root for specific apps: http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.devadvance.rootcloak

n-ctrl
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Good tip but unfortunately not for Sky Go, as listed under "Apps with calls most likely can never be directly intercepted by Xposed"

fatarnie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
OK a bit more info.

I read on the Sky forum that Go has issues on some devices at 4.1.2 . I have just installed the official 4.4.2 rom but the problem persists.

In the ODIN boot screen ist shows teh rom as official etc.

I also discovered the Barclays Pingit online banking app also does a root check and this too says my tablet is rooted.

Also it is suggested that there are two files apps look for to determine if the device is rooted. I'm wondering if these could stay on the device even through a ne rom has been installed? Files in question are:

/system/xbin/su
/system/bin/busybox

File explorer does not give access to the system folder, so I'm not sure how I can see without rooting the device again, which presumably vreates the files in the first place.

Any ideas how i can get to the system folder to check if these are there (and delete if they are) without rooting the tablet?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140716_171038[1].jpg
Views:	10
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	2854889  

Lange-199
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatarnie View Post
OK a bit more info.

I read on the Sky forum that Go has issues on some devices at 4.1.2 . I have just installed the official 4.4.2 rom but the problem persists.

In the ODIN boot screen ist shows teh rom as official etc.

I also discovered the Barclays Pingit online banking app also does a root check and this too says my tablet is rooted.

Also it is suggested that there are two files apps look for to determine if the device is rooted. I'm wondering if these could stay on the device even through a ne rom has been installed? Files in question are:

/system/xbin/su
/system/bin/busybox

File explorer does not give access to the system folder, so I'm not sure how I can see without rooting the device again, which presumably vreates the files in the first place.

Any ideas how i can get to the system folder to check if these are there (and delete if they are) without rooting the tablet?

Thanks
Maybe via adb, but I don't know for sure. I dont have lots of experience with adb, so I can't really say. The only way I know to get to these folders is via a root browser.

But I might have an idea to make your app working:

First do a factory reset (BACKUP ALL YOUR IMPORTANT DATA! and take your sd out, because everything will be wiped) and update via OTA. If you're country don't has the 4.4.2 update, boot your device in downloading mode (volume down and power button) and use Odin to install the firmware from sammobile.
Thank me if it helped, reply if it didn't or if I'm wrong.

Devices:
Samsung galaxy s4 stock 4.4.2
Samsung galaxy note 10.1 2012 4.4.2 stock (rooted)
Samsung galaxy ace s5830i (rooted)

fatarnie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Nailed it.

SU would not run as the device had been unrooted, but it was still installed, uninstalled thru Play and both SkyGo and the Barclays apps run fine.