Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,145 Members 42,211 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Recovering an n8010 from the leaked and locked n8000 kitkat

Tip us?

azureus139
Old
(Last edited by azureus139; 6th July 2014 at 08:57 AM.) Reason: spelling
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Well I was already out of warranty so that isn't an issue and I have it working with the proper kitkat for my device so tbh I don't know what difference it really makes. It shows n8000 in download mode and I will have to do something tricky via heimdall for any future updates, is that the only difference? Does it mean no access to custom roms as so far I've been happy to use stock and remove all bloat so that won't be too bad for me personally although it would be a real pain for some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erica_renee View Post
From past devices with SECURE.. NOT LOCKED boot loader.

This new knox boot loader is locked.. And im assuming.. that its locked with a SBK.. Secure boot key.. We had this issue back with the acer a 500. Where we could sign and flash a custom rom. If rom / android version was same or newer then the Versions set in the Secure boot key.

EVENTUALLY Someone found a way to Turn off that sbk . but this was only to those who had not yet flashed the sbk secure boot loader. So if today someone finds a fix for this.. It will ONLY Help those not in your situation . I think PEOPLE Should start screaming at and Protesting samsung that you DO not want there sbk boot loader as default on all devices and you should be able to remove it. But i can tell you. its a waster cause. and this device is not popular enough for someone to break up a the boot loader to get the sbk algorithms . LOok up the old threads ON THE ACER A500 Tablet.. you will see its Quite similar .

SO you are Likely STUCK...

Sorry . this is why i have NOT Flashed one of these roms on my n8013.. I will NOT Be in this situation..

erica_renee
Old
Thanks Meter 497

DONATE TO ME
As i said i never flashed that on my device. I am thinking all the issues/ benefits quarks of having the n 8000 boot loader on a non n 8000 device.. There may be NO Disadvantage unless Samsung Chooses to change how they sign there roms and so on.I just think Samsung Should Give us a way to avoid this .
They are my Nexus 7,Note 10.1 and Note 2 phone.
Get your own.Play nice and follow the rules or you WILL end up in the knob jail Cell

JamesEsh
Old
Thanks Meter 0
so would we be best to wipe data before doing this? just still have all the n8000 icons in the top corner like data icon etc.

azureus139
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
I did no wipes and just flashed over the top. All apps and data as before but no phone icon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesEsh View Post
so would we be best to wipe data before doing this? just still have all the n8000 icons in the top corner like data icon etc.

raducux
Old
Thanks Meter 164
Any news on restoring the n8010 bootloader? Would a jtag service be able to restore it?

azureus139
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by raducux View Post
Any news on restoring the n8010 bootloader? Would a jtag service be able to restore it?
Nothing from me. Everything I found says no way to unlock or replace the kitkat sboot. The n7100 apparently has a way but none for the 8xxx that I have found. Don't know what a jtag is?
The Following User Says Thank You to azureus139 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

keevo2481
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up fail to finish

[QUOTE=azureus139;53847738][SIZE="2"]Firstly, great guide

Extremely happy you made this guide.
I'm getting stuck though at the download on Heimdall

Either getting: Initialising connection... Detecting device... Claiming interface... Setting up interface... Initialising protocol... ERROR: Protocol initialisation failed! Releasing device interface...

OR

ERROR: Failed to send data!

really wanting to get my tablet back up and running as I only had it for a few days before i tried to update it/brick it with n8000

Just wondering if you can create a package in Heimdall or upload pit files as i'm struggling to make to get through.
thanks heaps!

azureus139
Old
(Last edited by azureus139; 14th July 2014 at 05:03 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
If you can't get heimdall to detect your tablet then it isn't going to flash to it either so a pit file wouldn't help you. It looks like a driver problem. I'd try uninstalling any samsung drivers and / or kies then reinstalling the heimdall ones.

[QUOTE=keevo2481;54114951]
Quote:
Originally Posted by azureus139 View Post
[SIZE="2"]Firstly, great guide

Extremely happy you made this guide.
I'm getting stuck though at the download on Heimdall

Either getting: Initialising connection... Detecting device... Claiming interface... Setting up interface... Initialising protocol... ERROR: Protocol initialisation failed! Releasing device interface...

OR

ERROR: Failed to send data!

really wanting to get my tablet back up and running as I only had it for a few days before i tried to update it/brick it with n8000

Just wondering if you can create a package in Heimdall or upload pit files as i'm struggling to make to get through.
thanks heaps!

keevo2481
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default This driver is too tired

Thought that could be the issue as it changes every time I reinstall the usb driver. Currently too tired. Going to do a fresh windows or Linux install on my spare computer so it's fresh to go and hopefully doesn't have driver issues. Will confirm how it goes either way. Computer needed an upgrade from 7->8.1 anyway.

Tags
kitkat, locked bootloader, n8000, n8010, sboot