Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,480 Members 53,594 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Upgrade to KitKat -- too many guides

Tip us?

sciurius
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default Upgrade to KitKat -- too many guides

I have a N8010 with CWM and rooted stock.

To upgrade to the official Samsung KitKat, do I need to start from scratch?
As far as I know, when I perform the upgrade using Odin it will overwrite everything (system, recovery, cache etc) so I will need to reinstall CWM and reroot. I also understand thet the recovery will be overwritten by Samsung's upon every reboot, which is pain.

Or can I just flash the system, like I do with CyanogenMod and Omni?

PhillipDSX
Old
(Last edited by PhillipDSX; 4th July 2014 at 02:59 PM.) Reason: Addendum
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciurius View Post
I have a N8010 with CWM and rooted stock.

To upgrade to the official Samsung KitKat, do I need to start from scratch?
As far as I know, when I perform the upgrade using Odin it will overwrite everything (system, recovery, cache etc) so I will need to reinstall CWM and reroot. I also understand thet the recovery will be overwritten by Samsung's upon every reboot, which is pain.

Or can I just flash the system, like I do with CyanogenMod and Omni?
Hey! Let's see if I can separate my answers:

1. Yes, all those things are overwritten, so you DO have to reinstall your recovery using Odin and then reroot if you want.
2. I just checked on what you said about the recovery and no, the recovery is not overwritten. I'm using Philz and it stays there no matter how many times I reboot. THE ROOT, however, is another story. I have found no way to leave it there permanently ...
3. From what I have seen (and unless you do that yourself) there are no deodexed official roms yet, so you would not be able to install the system alone. Or Mobile Odin, maybe? I haven't really used it on my N8010 so I can't say...

Hope that helps!

sciurius
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipDSX View Post
Hope that helps!
Thanks!

My main reason to investigate Samsung's KitKat for the N8010 was that I expected (hoped) they would still supply the TabletUI that Google removed from 4.3. According to the pictures I've seen there's no hope for the TabletUI on N8010, even with Samsung's KitKat. So for the time being I'll be a happy Omni user (which doesn't have the TabeltUI either, but at least allows for quick flashing without overwritinge everything, and for persistent root. And contains no bloatware.)

As for the persistent root, when you flash SuperSU using philz, and start SuperSU, you'll be offered the possibility to install a boot-time script that will restore root upon every reboot. Did you try that?