F2FS-enabled Kernel and Recovery for JellyBean ROMs

Search This thread

kcrudup

Mar 27, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
IF you are expert at ROMs and flashing you may find this helpful. I am really happy with the F2FS Filesystem on my OG Note; I've since bought the 2014 version, yet with F2FS the OG Note feels just as fast now. Samsung has put a lot of work into F2FS and reducing flash-based I/O waits is key for eliminating lag on Android.

I did the JB kernel first 'cause that's the source I had lying around. I'm going to build up a proper kernel source tree for KitKat for my 2014 Note in the next few days, then build one for the KitKat OG Note after that. The F2FS is from the tip of Linus' "master" branch, backported to the 3.0 kernel the OG Note uses.

I'm not going to do any newbie handholding- this is for experienced users- but the general way to use this is:

- Backup anything you'll want to save from your INTERNAL /sdcard, as it will be wiped
- Using an EXISTING TWRP (not the one here), make a backup of your /data (onto an external SD-Card)
- flash this recovery, then boot into it
- Wipe the /cache partition- it will reformat it as an F2FS partition
- "Advanced Wipe" the /data partition- use the "scary" wipe that says you'll lose EVERYTHING
- Do a /data (ONLY!) restore from the backup you'd just made from the previous (non-F2FS) recovery
- Wipe Dalvik Cache
- Shut down and go into Download (Odin) mode
- Flash the boot.img provided (it should work on any recent JB Samsung ROM)
- Reboot
- Restore any Internal /sdcard stuff you'd saved
- Enjoy speedy F2FS goodness (give it a minute after first-time booting so it can settle)

The boot.img is here.
The F2FS-enabled TWRP is here.

You know the rules- despite my testing and use, you may lose data, etc. etc. but if anyone uses this, be sure to let me know if it works for you, and especially if you have any issues with it. I'll put out the source to the kernel in time as well.

Airtioteclint

Nov 20, 2012
I've been thinking about going back to Jellybean, this might be the deciding factor.

Any chance on something for 4.4.4 aosp?

RETIEF

Sep 28, 2007
Moto G 5G
Moto G Stylus 5G
Not working on 8013

I followed the instructions, but when I install the recovery, get a boot loop every time. But it was worth a try. Thanks for all your hard work.
:crying:

IF you are expert at ROMs and flashing you may find this helpful. I am really happy with the F2FS Filesystem on my OG Note; I've since bought the 2014 version, yet with F2FS the OG Note feels just as fast now. Samsung has put a lot of work into F2FS and reducing flash-based I/O waits is key for eliminating lag on Android.

I did the JB kernel first 'cause that's the source I had lying around. I'm going to build up a proper kernel source tree for KitKat for my 2014 Note in the next few days, then build one for the KitKat OG Note after that. The F2FS is from the tip of Linus' "master" branch, backported to the 3.0 kernel the OG Note uses.

I'm not going to do any newbie handholding- this is for experienced users- but the general way to use this is:

- Backup anything you'll want to save from your INTERNAL /sdcard, as it will be wiped
- Using an EXISTING TWRP (not the one here), make a backup of your /data (onto an external SD-Card)
- "Advanced Wipe" the /data partition- use the "scary" wipe that says you'll lose EVERYTHING
- Do a /data (ONLY!) restore from the backup you'd just made from the previous (non-F2FS) recovery
- Wipe Dalvik Cache
- Reboot
- Enjoy speedy F2FS goodness (give it a minute after first-time booting so it can settle)

The boot.img is here.

You know the rules- despite my testing and use, you may lose data, etc. etc. but if anyone uses this, be sure to let me know if it works for you, and especially if you have any issues with it. I'll put out the source to the kernel in time as well.

Shagerty

Dec 31, 2012
Santa Cruz
This is cool, as just about everyone else said would be great to see KK support for the GT-N8000 KK ROMs ported to GT-N8013. THANK YOU either way AWESOME WORK!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

- Wipe Dalvik Cache
    - Reboot

The boot.img is here.

It's probably the overclocking. Let me make up a non-OC set soon.