Note 10.1 (2014) as a VGA Presentation/Lecturing tool

Search This thread

theorist16

Jun 6, 2009
I'm using the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) to give lectures (using the LectureNotes app to write during the lectures). I need to be able to connect it to typical VGA projector. Thought it might help others to know what accessories worked to do this:

• Samsung MHL to HDMI adapter (model ET-H10FAUWE)
  • HDMI to VGA + Audio Converter (made by Neet, bought on amazon)
  • Optional: MoKo Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition Case - Ultra Slim Lightweight Smart-shell Stand Case

The MHL to HDMI adapter is great. It did not come with a power supply but takes the same micro usb as the Note. It produces a beautiful image on an HDMI display (tested on both 720p and 1080p) and did not require any settings to make it work. In all cases it has worked without needing a power supply - presumably because it is drawing sufficient power from the hdmi port with the devices I have tried. If a power supply is connected it passes through to the Note (charging it if the power supply gives sufficient current). Connecting the adapter makes no impact on the speed of the device. Unfortunately none of our lecture theatres have hdmi connections.

The HDMI to VGA converter needs to be active (so needs power). The "Neet" one above had good reviews from people who had struggled to make this work with other devices. For me it worked straight out of the box. On a 1024 x 768 device it uses the full height of the display but not the full width: ileaves a narrow black band on the right. It is showing the full tablet image which is slightly distorted on the projector screen. The projector detected the display without problems.

For the case, I wanted one that works upside down in landscape mode so the return button is at the top left. This prevents accidentally closing the app while writing on the tablet. It also means the display cables run away from you. You need to switch off the auto brightness on the display because your hand will cover the front camera as you write and so the display will periodically dim - not that this makes any difference to the projector display but is just a distraction when writing.

The alternative method I tried to project the display was using a VNC server. I bought the VMLite VNC Server app. (The developer was very helpful and responsive.) By connecting this to a computer/laptop with a VGA connection, you can project the screen. However the VNC server significantly slowed down the tablet and made writing on the tablet less than pleasant. So I abandoned that in favour of the hardware method above.

Hope this helps someone - though your mileage may vary. (Sorry about the lack of links - not enough posts it seems so I had to strip them out).

Adelaida

Apr 3, 2014
No support of the device for Galaxy Note 10.1 2014

Hello, are you sure that it works for this model of tablet? I tested this microUSB-VGA adapter with the Galaxy Note 10.1 ed 2014 and with 2 Sansung smartphones: Galaxy SIII, SIV, and no VGA neither audio signal is produced.

DeBoX

Jul 26, 2010
It worked for me with the one l linked. Tested on note 2014 and s3 both needed ext power :(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

just_luc

Dec 31, 2011
Personally I would eliminate the MHL to hdmi adapter and replace that with the netgear PTV 3000. That paired with the OP's hdmi to vga converter would result in a nice wireless solution so you don't have to be physically tied to the projector.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

paraklas

Jul 19, 2007
Personally I would eliminate the MHL to hdmi adapter and replace that with the netgear PTV 3000. That paired with the OP's hdmi to vga converter would result in a nice wireless solution so you don't have to be physically tied to the projector.

Have you actually tried the PTV3000 with the 2014 Note? Cause I have and it doesn't work properly, specially when streaming video. For a simple powerpoint presentation it's ok, but nothing more

LindsayD

I recently bought a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 to use mostly as a business tool, so that I could run presentations and workshops in various locations. I did quite a lot of research about how to do this and finally selected the correct cable, an 11 pin MHL 2.0 micro USB to HDMI cable with a USB to power adapter. I was very disappointed to find out that I could not get the tablet to display on my Sony Bravia TV, but this setup works fine on other non Sony displays in the house such as the Panasonic one I have in my bedroom. Unfortunately this means I cannot reliably use my new tablet as intended in case I encounter a Sony TV or projector when I'm at a venue or on location. I wish I'd known this before I bought my tablet. A device such as a chromecast dongle isn't much use either since I don't always have a Wi-Fi connection.

I have noted that the OP is using an HDMI to VGA cable - does anybody know if this works on Sony displays or is the Sony/Samsung incompatibility universal?

methaq

Aug 28, 2011
Milwaukee
The PTV3000 miracast device does not require separate WiFi connection after the initial setup. This and the Samsung AllShare Cast dongle worked well for me.

Sent from my SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm using the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) to give lectures (using the LectureNotes app to write during the lectures). I need to be able to connect it to typical VGA projector. Thought it might help others to know what accessories worked to do this:

• Samsung MHL to HDMI adapter (model ET-H10FAUWE)
    • HDMI to VGA + Audio Converter (made by Neet, bought on amazon)
    • Optional: MoKo Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition Case - Ultra Slim Lightweight Smart-shell Stand Case

The MHL to HDMI adapter is great. It did not come with a power supply but takes the same micro usb as the Note. It produces a beautiful image on an HDMI display (tested on both 720p and 1080p) and did not require any settings to make it work. In all cases it has worked without needing a power supply - presumably because it is drawing sufficient power from the hdmi port with the devices I have tried. If a power supply is connected it passes through to the Note (charging it if the power supply gives sufficient current). Connecting the adapter makes no impact on the speed of the device. Unfortunately none of our lecture theatres have hdmi connections.

The HDMI to VGA converter needs to be active (so needs power). The "Neet" one above had good reviews from people who had struggled to make this work with other devices. For me it worked straight out of the box. On a 1024 x 768 device it uses the full height of the display but not the full width: ileaves a narrow black band on the right. It is showing the full tablet image which is slightly distorted on the projector screen. The projector detected the display without problems.

For the case, I wanted one that works upside down in landscape mode so the return button is at the top left. This prevents accidentally closing the app while writing on the tablet. It also means the display cables run away from you. You need to switch off the auto brightness on the display because your hand will cover the front camera as you write and so the display will periodically dim - not that this makes any difference to the projector display but is just a distraction when writing.

The alternative method I tried to project the display was using a VNC server. I bought the VMLite VNC Server app. (The developer was very helpful and responsive.) By connecting this to a computer/laptop with a VGA connection, you can project the screen. However the VNC server significantly slowed down the tablet and made writing on the tablet less than pleasant. So I abandoned that in favour of the hardware method above.

Hope this helps someone - though your mileage may vary. (Sorry about the lack of links - not enough posts it seems so I had to strip them out).
    Dumb question, but how do you supply the power?

Standard Micro USB charger, you can use the one that comes with your Note.
    you might also consider getting something like this, I tested it a few months back and it worked fine. Need external power , but besides that worked out of the box. Got recognized as a HDMI adapter.

http://dx.com/p/micro-usb-male-to-vga-female-audio-mhl-adapter-cable-for-samsung-htc-white-233333