Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,095 Members 40,364 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

2014 version vs 2012 - opinions

Tip us?

diggedy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 57
Default 2014 version vs 2012 - opinions

My 2012 note 10.1 is getting a bit long in the tooth now and as I use it for work and university I need something that doesnt lag like crazy when trying to open apps.
Im considering buying a 2014 edition as the pro versions are just stupidly overpriced but im wondering if anyone has made the upgrade and if they can give me a non biased opinion if there is a substantial difference. I know the screen is a lot better but for my uses that isnt important, its about the speed for me.

Is there enough difference in speed to justify the upgrade or is it pretty much the same?

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 4127
I had a N10.1-12 for over a year. Comparatively, it's slow, lacks functionality, it's big, and the 147 PPI display is downright painful. The only benefit of the older version I can think of are its forward facing speakers. In terms of "speed;" the difference isn't as pronounced as some people would like. That's because the N10.1-14 is pushing literally twice the amount of pixels as the N10.1-12 and that extra workload really tests the limits of the GPU. But even with that, especially after the 4.4 update, the N10.1-14 runs circles around its predecessor.

buhohitr
Old
Thanks Meter 1491
Yes I agreed with BarryH_GEG, Note 10.1 2014 is worth the upgrade, best screen on the market, faster processor, smoother with 4,4 specially, you could get one on Ebay for around 380$. I bought my on Ebay and no issue, very happy purchase.

planetf1
Old
Thanks Meter 68
I switched but only site an accident and replacement.

For me it was the screen that was the clearest difference. Yay being said the tablet feels perfectly snappy on 4.3 including using Chrone

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

It's 4 x the pixels... 2x in each dimension x y

lmclaurin
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr View Post
Yes I agreed with BarryH_GEG, Note 10.1 2014 is worth the upgrade, best screen on the market, faster processor, smoother with 4,4 specially, you could get one on Ebay for around 380$. I bought my on Ebay and no issue, very happy purchase.
Got one from cowboom grade 7 for 289.00

buhohitr
Old
Thanks Meter 1491
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmclaurin View Post
Got one from cowboom grade 7 for 289.00
That's was a steal!!! proud of you!

NIKKG
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I got a white grade 7 32gb for 270 shipped. should arrive next week, hope there is nothing wrong with it.