Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,266 Members 40,857 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ditched Note for Surface Pro 3

Tip us?

red321red321
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default Ditched Note for Surface Pro 3

I have been a loyal user of Samsung galaxy products for a very long time, owning the s3, note 2, note 8, note 10.1, and note 10.1 2014. in general they have been excellent aside from very poor resale value. my favorite of all these devices used to be the 10.1 2014. it had a sharp screen and excellent battery life. then the kit kat update happened. all of a sudden my battery life went to hell and even after I rooted and such I could still not restore the device to where it had been. when I watch youtube or do anything intense the battery dies unbelievably fast,

I finally gave up and got a surface pro 3. so far I am very impressed. for my use the battery life is better than note. also fairly light and extremely powerful. onenote is far better than snote. microsofts onedrive integration is awesome.

I feel Samsung devices have gone downhill lately. I wanted to get an s4 but found the bloatware intolerable, especially annoying is my magazine. the fingerprint scanner and heart rate functionality also suck. ill also be replacing my note 2 with an lg g3 or iPhone 6.

dt33
Old
Thanks Meter 43
errrr..oki?

DeBoX
Old
Thanks Meter 24
ehm good for you, but your point being?

As I see it to each his own, congrats on a new gadget but no need to start a post just on that accord..... Just saying

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 4121
Kind of apples and oranges, no?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sprintuser1977
Old
Thanks Meter 373
Ummmmmmmmmmkkkkkkkkkkkkkk...........

Sent from my SM-P905 using XDA Premium HD app

Tangotango74
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I tried out the surface pro 3 and went back to note 10.1 2014. I just could not get lots of the apps I got so used to over time. Keyboard and concept was great, OS not as much , as a tablet os , it sucks to use your finger on desktop.

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Free mobile app

kcrudup
Old
Thanks Meter 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by red321red321 View Post
... but found the bloatware intolerable ....
Too bad that was all in your head. So-called "bloatware" takes up minimal resources in storage, and after a few minutes of having booted is no longer in your RAM nor uses any CPU cycles.
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 3G (GT-N8000) on AT&T
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 LTE (SM-P607T) on AT&T (and T-Mo/VZW)
HTC First on Net10/AT&T
(Save your "Thanks"; couldn't care less)

lanwarrior
Old
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrudup View Post
Too bad that was all in your head. So-called "bloatware" takes up minimal resources in storage, and after a few minutes of having booted is no longer in your RAM nor uses any CPU cycles.
Do you have Android OS keeping the device awake? Mine have this over a course of 10 hours since disconnected from power AND only have screen on time of 1.5 hours.

I already turned off bloatware from "Application Manager", no background app like weather or social media. So this bloatware does take CPU resources and keeping the tablet awake.

Galaxy Note 3 T-Mobile
Stock ROM - rooted
Official Jelly Bean 4.3

Note 10.1 (2014)
Stock ROM - Not rooted since KNOX tripping
Official KitKat 4.4.2

Retired
Nexus 5
Nexus 7 (2013)
Galaxy Note 8.0
Nexus 7 (2012)
AT&T Galaxy Note
AT&T Galaxy S4 Active

kcrudup
Old
Thanks Meter 709
You have some app killing your battery, not "bloatware". I don't remove anything and have very little "awake" time that's not "screen on" time. You should get "Bettery Battery Stats" from the Play Store (if you're rooted).
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 3G (GT-N8000) on AT&T
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 LTE (SM-P607T) on AT&T (and T-Mo/VZW)
HTC First on Net10/AT&T
(Save your "Thanks"; couldn't care less)

lanwarrior
Old
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrudup View Post
You have some app killing your battery, not "bloatware". I don't remove anything and have very little "awake" time that's not "screen on" time. You should get "Bettery Battery Stats" from the Play Store (if you're rooted).
This is a brand new device, just got it last Sunday. No 3rd party apps installed at all. Only setup Google account so I can update existing app and sync Gmail and calendar. If it is not "bloatware", then it is whatever apps that came with the tablet.

No Google Now crap, but GPS is turned on.

BBS won't show detailed info as I am not rooted.

EDIT: forgot to mention that I hard reset the device already.
Galaxy Note 3 T-Mobile
Stock ROM - rooted
Official Jelly Bean 4.3

Note 10.1 (2014)
Stock ROM - Not rooted since KNOX tripping
Official KitKat 4.4.2

Retired
Nexus 5
Nexus 7 (2013)
Galaxy Note 8.0
Nexus 7 (2012)
AT&T Galaxy Note