Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,152 Members 54,009 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

First impressions

Tip us?

planetf1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
Default First impressions

I just upgraded to the 2014 edition. Long story but tablet was lost and I got the cash to replace.

I ordered the tab 's too but didn't even open the box. Too scared I'd be emotionally swayed. I was too used to using the spen for note talking at work or home. Probably 5pc of my use but still..

So I haven't seen significant lags. Seems snappy. Screen is lovely. The 4x resolution makes a brilliant improvement to text and handwriting. Audio seems decent. Tablet feels a little more plasticky and lots smaller

One disappointment. I thought 4.4 was out. Not for btu it seems. That's crazy. Hate these slow region updates

Although microusb is standard I'm not conceived the firm factor is good. The connector is too small and liable to damage or working loose.

Its a lovely keeper though. Just ordered a poetic slim case. I had the elastic back one on previous model but the clip would always get in the way.

Undecided on screen protector. May skip to get best feel. Is the screen pretty tough?

Any news on the UK update (I broke previous one after months of flashing so may skip. It was on its way back with a refusal to repair when it got lost in the system... Hence replaced. Yikes . What luck)

planetf1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
A few more thoughts after playing some more
- Lack of 4.4 is really irking me. Ugh.
- Trying to take notes in landscape format led to me constantly hitting the hard home button. I never noticed that issue on the old note (soft button).
- After using lecture notes on my previous note quite a lot, the auto full brightness of s-note during not taking seems unnecessary - is there a way around this?

BclingergFJ
Old
Thanks Meter 10
On both my Note 8 & 10.1-14, upside down is my response to that button. I prefer the 2012 arrangement.

Via my Note 3