Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,351 Members 41,279 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Turning note into a Linux laptop: a step by step guide

Tip us?

robertchow
Old
(Last edited by robertchow; 1st July 2014 at 03:53 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Turning note into a Linux laptop: a step by step guide

Turning note into a Linux laptop: a step by step guide

The main advantage of the method here is that you can run android app and linux program side by side. Moreover, S-pen can act as mouse

Device: p600
ROM: P600UEUBMK1

(Following method may be applicable if your device is rooted and has other selinux permissive ROM installed)

1 Root and flash selinux permissive kernel
a. for root method, see
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2490805

b. Flash selinux permissive kernel, for instructions, see
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2590311

Please read the instructions completely.

c. Install SElinuxModeChanger

Install SElinuxModeChanger from Google Play (app is free and without ads) and change selinux mode to permissive.
Reboot note, if SELINUX status is Permissive in the Setting--about device, you can move on to next step.

2 Install Linux distro using Linux Deploy

Install Linux Deploy from Google Play (app is free and without ads), Start Linux Deploy and push the Download Button, and then in the Deploy option, you have the following choices:

a. Distribution
I have tried Debian and Ubuntu, both have been successful installed.

b. Distribution suite
For Debian , choose Jessie.
For Ubuntu, choose Trusty.

c. Architeture
Choose armhf.

d. Mirror URL
For Debian, http://202.141.160.110/debian
202.141.160.110 is the IP address of debian.ustc.edu.cn (one of the Debian mirrors in China)
You can choose other mirrors from
https://www.debian.org/mirror/list
but remember to convert the web address into IP address

For Ubuntu, http://18.7.29.125/ubuntu-ports/
18.7.29.125 is the IP address of mirrors.mit.edu

The above mirrors are chosen because they are stable and fast for users in China.

e. Installation type
File(default option)

f. Installation path
For Debian, /storage/emulated/0/debian.img
For Ubuntu, /storage/emulated/0/ubuntu.img

In fact , You can choose whatever file name you like. I chose the above names, because I actually installed both Debian and Ubuntu on my device.

g. Image size
Automatic calculation (default option)

h. File system
Auto (default option)

i. User name
Android (default option)

j. DNS server
Automatic detection (default option)

k. Localization
en_US.UTF-8 (default option)

l. Desktop environment
Xfce

m. Select components
Just check all components

After the Deploy options have been set, choose Install under Action options.

The installation time taken depends on the mirror chosen and how stable the internet connection is.

When you see “end: Install”
Push the Stop Button, and then Start Button.
If no information about failure of starting SSH and VNC services are shown, then the installation is successful.

3 Configure startup environment using Linux Deploy
Push the Download Button, ensure that both SSH and GUI are checked under STARTUP option.
for Graphic subsystem, choose VNC
for GUI setting, Display is set to 0, Depth 24, DPI 270, Width 2560, Height 1600.
check Custom mounts
For Mount points, add /mnt/extSdCard/ so that you can access external sdcard under linux environment.
or add /mnt/0/ to access internal sdcard.

Back to the main page, push Stop and then Start Button to see if external sdcard and internal sdcard can be mounted.

4 Set up ssh and vnc client

a. Install JuiceSSH from Google Play (app is free and without ads),
Launch JuiceSSH, under Connections, choose New Connection,
In basic settings, Type is set to SSH, Address is set to 127.0.0.1 (IP of local host), and Identity is android.
Back to the main page, connect to 127.0.0.1, when prompting for password, enter changeme. You are now login into Debian or Ubuntu.

b. Install bVNC from Google Play (there are free and pro versions, free version is fine)
In the Connect Type, choose Basic VNC.
In the VNC Connections Settings, Address is set to 127.0.0.1, port 5900, and password changeme.
Push the connect button, You are now login into Debian or Ubuntu desktop.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robertchow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

excalibar001
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Can you please upload a video of Linux running on your note, if you can please. Never thought Linux would run on note. It would really transform this tablet into a powerful productivity tool.

robertchow
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibar001 View Post
Can you please upload a video of Linux running on your note, if you can please. Never thought Linux would run on note. It would really transform this tablet into a powerful productivity tool.

I have no experience of making and uploading video .

some screenshots are attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_01.png
Views:	329
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	2827284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_02.png
Views:	333
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	2827285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_03.png
Views:	346
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	2827286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_04.png
Views:	320
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	2827287  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robertchow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ps000000
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Does this guide is for P600 only ?
Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) P601 3G & Google Nexus 5 D821 LTE

My history
Android - Galaxy S2 (i9100T) , Dell Streak 5 , Tab 7 Plus (P6200L) , Galaxy Nexus (Maguro), Note 2 (N7100) , Galaxy S4 (i9505), Galaxy Mega 6.3 (i9205) , Galaxy Note3 (N9005) , Xperia Z Ultra (C6833)
iOS - iPhone 4 - 16GB , iPhone 4S - 16GB , iPhone 5 - 16GB , iPad 3 - WiFi - 16GB
Windows Phone - Lumia 920

My PC - i5-2500K + Asus HD7970TOP + water cooling
My Lap - Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 - i7 2760QM + HD 6770M

Stevethegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 106
It's impractical at best. I mean I appreciate the time it took for you to write this, but linux through chroot is not very useful, it cannot be. It's like trying to run linux on a p3 machine, which is painful to see especially since our machines have the raw power of a fast core 2 duo (if cross platform benchs are to be believed).

What we need is a custom bootloader which would enable dual boot of Linux and android and then a proper linux kernel including driver support for all our tablets main components. Native linux. I've always dreamt of an ultra portable do-it-all machine and my note is almost that, with *almost* being the imperative word.

Note 2012 has it, raspberry f....ING pi has it even though it includes 1/10th of the firepower of our note, we don't, and I miss it oh so much for certain apps. The pen via hovering can act like a proper ultra portable mouse (tapping -> left click, pressing the key + tapping -> right click) + a floating keyboard (like Sammy 's official one) and we're golden. Alas without a proper kernel and a proper bootloader we're nothing.

Appreciate the effort, I really do, but linux deploy is mostly a toy :/
I'll await for the day that native linux comes.

ziotom2
Old
Thanks Meter 39
does it work with framebuffer option (instead of vnc)?
SM-N9005 SD 64 gb samsung - XXUDMJ6 - ODEX - root CF -

robertchow
Old
(Last edited by robertchow; 2nd July 2014 at 04:25 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevethegreat View Post
It's impractical at best. I mean I appreciate the time it took for you to write this, but linux through chroot is not very useful, it cannot be. It's like trying to run linux on a p3 machine, which is painful to see especially since our machines have the raw power of a fast core 2 duo (if cross platform benchs are to be believed).

What we need is a custom bootloader which would enable dual boot of Linux and android and then a proper linux kernel including driver support for all our tablets main components. Native linux. I've always dreamt of an ultra portable do-it-all machine and my note is almost that, with *almost* being the imperative word.

Note 2012 has it, raspberry f....ING pi has it even though it includes 1/10th of the firepower of our note, we don't, and I miss it oh so much for certain apps. The pen via hovering can act like a proper ultra portable mouse (tapping -> left click, pressing the key + tapping -> right click) + a floating keyboard (like Sammy 's official one) and we're golden. Alas without a proper kernel and a proper bootloader we're nothing.

Appreciate the effort, I really do, but linux deploy is mostly a toy :/
I'll await for the day that native linux comes.
Linux through chroot is sufficient for the following purposes:

1 have a taste of different linux distro

2 learning programming in R, python, and octave.

3 editing and compiling no so large latex files

4 learning and practicing the universal editor emacs ( I use it with R,python and octave) if equipped with a physical keyboard.

In sum, note 10.1 with linux through ssh and vnc is perfect for educational purpose.
For developer, at least, they can learn how their linux program looks like in a 10 inch screen with 2560*1600 resolution.

ionflux
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziotom2 View Post
does it work with framebuffer option (instead of vnc)?
I have the same question for op or anyone in the know. Can you start gui without vnc?

robertchow
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
I have tried framebuffer on several devices, including note , without success.
Are there any prerequisite to use it?