FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Root my note

19 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By subram, Junior Member on 21st November 2014, 11:20 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,
I am not a programmer / developer but just wanted some expert opinion on how to root and what are the advantages. I have now ended my warranty so please can someone let me know:-

1. How to root safely without messing up KNOX
2. Can I bring the device to the same state if something goes wrong while rooting
3. Is there any substitute for firmware updates

Thanks,
Subbu

23rd November 2014, 04:29 PM |#2  
Flag Chicago, IL
Thanks Meter: 61

More
Rooting trips knox. You can try Towelroot, probably won't work. Flashing recovery will allow you to flash superuser/obtain root, or just flash a new Rom that's pre rooted.

Any samsung device can be Odined back to stock if needed, just not knox.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium HD app
23rd November 2014, 05:13 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 485

More
What version of the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1(2014) do you have? Towelroot won't work with the p600 or the p601. Also it is better to use Obin then a one click root. Read through this topic it explains the whole process.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2490805

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Free mobile app
23rd November 2014, 05:56 PM |#4  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 98

More
Towel root works for P605 up to latest software update as in the link below. The trick is to downgrade the boot.img using odin to a lower firmware e.g. NF2, root with towel root and then upgrade boot.img back to current firmware version. It keeps Knox 0x0. Try and keep your Knox 0x0 status in case it becomes important to you. Flashing custom recovery and kernels will trip knox, and using other rooting methods is likely to trip it also.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...pdate-t2936219

Good luck.
24th November 2014, 09:31 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Thanks for all your responses.
I am looking at orion's website and clear how to root now. Please can someone clarify these for me :-

1. We can root the note but need to remove KNOX (after rooting) as it will not work properly for rooted devices?
2. Is it possible to get the note to the current state if something goes wrong during rooting. If yes, how can we do this?
3. Is it possible to install latest firmwares either from dev community or official Samsung? If it's from the DEV community, then wil it be a simple task of updating firmwares like how we do for official Samsung or do we have to start the process of rooting / stock recovery etc. again?
24th November 2014, 05:16 PM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by subram

Thanks for all your responses.
I am looking at orion's website and clear how to root now. Please can someone clarify these for me :-

1. We can root the note but need to remove KNOX (after rooting) as it will not work properly for rooted devices?
2. Is it possible to get the note to the current state if something goes wrong during rooting. If yes, how can we do this?
3. Is it possible to install latest firmwares either from dev community or official Samsung? If it's from the DEV community, then wil it be a simple task of updating firmwares like how we do for official Samsung or do we have to start the process of rooting / stock recovery etc. again?

1. You are correct KNOX will not work and will give annoying and intrusive notification about your tablet being modified. But that is a small price to pay. Your warranty will be invalid after rooting, also a gift from KNOX, and it cannot be reset back to valid.
2. Yes, it is possible to reflash stock through Obin by downloading the firmware from Sammobile.com, not sure if I have the web address right, and flashing it like you do CF-Autoroot and twrp.
3. You cannot take ota updates because it will see the custom recovery and say your system has been modified. Again you can flash official updates from Samsung by using obin and Sammobile or for faster updates use a custom ROM which is actually probably better, but it depends on what you use your tablet for. If you want I can link you to some custom Roms that are stock based or CM based.

24th November 2014, 10:00 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Many thanks Orion. I have SM-P600. Basically, I want to root because I want to remove the official software and other bloatware.

1. Clear
2. By reflashing the stock, you mean setting the note 10.1 2014 to it's original state but through the 'odin-flash method'? So, if I do this, then will I be back to normal (including KNOX) and be able to download firmware updates? How do I do it through
3. What is the difference between sammobile formware and custom ROM?

Two more questions
1. Is it possible to download android 4.4.4 / Android L and install it in my device now than waiting for Samsung to officially release it?
2. Will it be possible to root, remove the unwanted software and then unroot to come back to normal again?
24th November 2014, 11:29 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Quote:

2. By reflashing the stock, you mean setting the note 10.1 2014 to it's original state but through the 'odin-flash method'? So, if I do this, then will I be back to normal (including KNOX) and be able to download firmware updates? How do I do it through

Not quite. Reflashing the stock ROM via Odin will return your device's software configuration to the way it was out of the box. No custom recovery, no root, etc. However, nothing can reset the KNOX counter. Once tripped, it's tripped for good. Reflashing a stock ROM will not allow you to receive OTA updates, you will have to download updates (from SamMobile or another site) and flash via Odin, or use Kies to update. Updating the firmware on your device through either method will cause you to lose root and custom recovery, but you may be able to re-root and reflash custom recovery.

Quote:

3. What is the difference between sammobile formware and custom ROM?

SamMobile only hosts Samsung official stock firmwares for devices.

And yes, you should be able to root, uninstall unwanted system apps, and then unroot. But again, you will be unable to accept OTA updates.
25th November 2014, 12:14 AM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
Understood about the fact that if I root, then I should forget about KNOX once and for all.
- Ok, how do I unroot? Is that straightforward.
- If sammobile releases a firmware update for SM-P600 (let's say android 4.4.4 for US), can I install that via KIES (without root) though I am in the UK?
- If I root, I can then install android L as soon as it is available in the DEV community?
25th November 2014, 02:15 AM |#10  

More
Quote:

Understood about the fact that if I root, then I should forget about KNOX once and for all.
- Ok, how do I unroot? Is that straightforward.
- If sammobile releases a firmware update for SM-P600 (let's say android 4.4.4 for US), can I install that via KIES (without root) though I am in the UK?
- If I root, I can then install android L as soon as it is available in the DEV community?

1. Yes I have never had to unroot any Samsung device but as far as I know it is just that simple.
2. As long as it is for the p600 then yes it is compatible you should be able to flash without root through Obin.
3. This is a developer to watch this is a CM based rom http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2938652.
This is a TouchWiz based ROM http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2793898. They will be updated quicker then Samsung firmware. Here is a complete list of Roms available for our devices. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2723420

Edit: Forgot another useful post http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2878586

26th November 2014, 06:57 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by siralsmooth

Rooting trips knox. You can try Towelroot, probably won't work. Flashing recovery will allow you to flash superuser/obtain root, or just flash a new Rom that's pre rooted.

Any samsung device can be Odined back to stock if needed, just not knox.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium HD app

Speaking of which, how does one go about restoring the P600 back to stock? I'm starting to miss some of the S Pen functionality.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)