Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,480 Members 53,774 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung throwing the towel on knox

Tip us?
 
pitchdarkice
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 72
Join Date: Dec 2011
Default Samsung throwing the towel on knox

According to the article it appears samsung is throwing the towel on Knox. It does make sense given Google's direction and lack of adoption.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobegan/...aga-continues/
 
BarryH_GEG
Old
#2  
BarryH_GEG's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4,175
Posts: 8,693
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spokane, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchdarkice View Post
According to the article it appears samsung is throwing the towel on Knox. It does make sense given Google's direction and lack of adoption.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobegan/...aga-continues/
Getting tech news from Fortune is like getting sports news from Better Homes & Gardens. Samsung and Google's cross-licensing deal probably plays in to the following. Just like the death of Samsung Hub and the neutering of M-UX.

Pichai (Google's Head of Android Development) specifically noted that the future Android 5.0's security layer involves Samsung's "contribution" of Knox, a feature that company unveiled last spring as part of its "SAFE" (Samsung for Enterprise) initiative.

Knox principally erects a "container" or sandbox around corporate apps and data to prevent any unauthorized mingling with a users' private, unsecured email, apps and other personal data.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/...g-samsung-knox
 
lanwarrior
Old
#3  
lanwarrior's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 137
Posts: 2,047
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG View Post
Getting tech news from Fortune is like getting sports news from Better Homes & Gardens. Samsung and Google's cross-licensing deal probably plays in to the following. Just like the death of Samsung Hub and the neutering of M-UX.

Pichai (Google's Head of Android Development) specifically noted that the future Android 5.0's security layer involves Samsung's "contribution" of Knox, a feature that company unveiled last spring as part of its "SAFE" (Samsung for Enterprise) initiative.

Knox principally erects a "container" or sandbox around corporate apps and data to prevent any unauthorized mingling with a users' private, unsecured email, apps and other personal data.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/...g-samsung-knox
Based on the link you provided, it looks like the KNOX-like security feature will come baked in Android OS? That sucks if it is true.. harder for us to root without tripping something else that warrants (no pun intended) manufacturer to deny warranty work.
Galaxy Note 3 T-Mobile
Stock ROM - rooted
Official Jelly Bean 4.3

Note 10.1 (2014)
Stock ROM - Not rooted since KNOX tripping
Official KitKat 4.4.2

Retired
Nexus 5
Nexus 7 (2013)
Galaxy Note 8.0
Nexus 7 (2012)
AT&T Galaxy Note
AT&T Galaxy S4 Active
 
valexi
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 119
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kuopio
This will be good, if Google makes some "rules" for this security feature.

For example if KNOX or "Googlebit" is triggered it could be reset if you are back to locked bootloader and doing a factory reset. That way you can tell that your device is secure again.
 
shayind4
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 76
Posts: 404
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by valexi View Post
This will be good, if Google makes some "rules" for this security feature.

For example if KNOX or "Googlebit" is triggered it could be reset if you are back to locked bootloader and doing a factory reset. That way you can tell that your device is secure again.
I think you are right. Having the Knox container and security will probably be useful in the future given the rate and sophistication of hacking nowadays.
 
bbs2web
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 21
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Johannesburg
Default Knox reset

I feel I should be able to restore stock firmware to subsequently reset Knox to then do a hardware fault warranty claim. Whilst I've taken the risk triggering Knox when installing Cyanogenmod, the tablet had usability problems on stock, which is why I did this in the first place...

ie: On Cyanogenmod my WiFi is stable, video plays smoothly, no weird jitter in Google Chrome address bar and I have an Exchange email client (KitKat) which doesn't hide some of my folders.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes