Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,397 Members 47,545 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Trying to change menu button to app switcher (Hyperdrive)q

Tip us?

Jaydawgx7
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Trying to change menu button to app switcher (Hyperdrive)q

I'm running the hyperdrive rom and would like to change the menu button to the recent apps button, and the longpress home to google now like S5. I found an xposed module that does this but only for the note 3. Anyone have a solution for this?

marxses
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydawgx7 View Post
I'm running the hyperdrive rom and would like to change the menu button to the recent apps button, and the longpress home to google now like S5. I found an xposed module that does this but only for the note 3. Anyone have a solution for this?
I can change the menu key to recent apps but not sure about longpress home.

Using a root File Explorer open generic.kl in system/user/keylayout with a text editor.

Go to key 139 and replace 'MENU' with 'APP_SWITCH'. Reboot and you're done.

For google now it should just be a matter of finding the appropriate key.
The Following User Says Thank You to marxses For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jaydawgx7
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by marxses View Post
I can change the menu key to recent apps but not sure about longpress home.

Using a root File Explorer open generic.kl in system/user/keylayout with a text editor.

Go to key 139 and replace 'MENU' with 'APP_SWITCH'. Reboot and you're done.

For google now it should just be a matter of finding the appropriate key.
Thanks for getting me in the right direction here. However, when I alter the generic.kl file at all, both capacitive buttons quit working after a reboot. I tried replacing the altered file with a backup i made, rebooted, and they still don't work. The only way to restore function of the buttons is to reflash the rom. Any idea as to why? This seemed like an easy change.... (also tried editing the file via notepad++ on the pc with the same result)

marxses
Old
(Last edited by marxses; 1st July 2014 at 12:09 AM.)
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Thanks for getting me in the right direction here. However, when I alter the generic.kl file at all, both capacitive buttons quit working after a reboot. I tried replacing the altered file with a backup i made, rebooted, and they still don't work. The only way to restore function of the buttons is to reflash the rom. Any idea as to why? This seemed like an easy change.... (also tried editing the file via notepad++ on the pc with the same result)
What file explorer are you using? ES explorer?

After editing and especially if you're pasting in a back up you need to make sure the files permissions are set to rw-r--r--

I personally used the text editor from Rom Tool Box Lite . Make sure there aren't any extra spaces and there should be no # in front of the key.

I just remapped and put them back to normal a few times and I'm not having any problems.

Let me know how you get on.

Jaydawgx7
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by marxses View Post
What file explorer are you using? ES explorer?

After editing and especially if you're pasting in a back up you need to make sure the files permissions are set to rw-r--r--

I personally used the text editor from Rom Tool Box Lite . Make sure there aren't any extra spaces and there should be no # in front of the key.

I just remapped and put them back to normal a few times and I'm not having any problems.

Let me know how you get on.
Thanks! I was using ES file Explorer... I don't know what happened amongst text editors, but the rom tool box text editor did the trick... I appreciate your time and patience. Now it's time to figure out how to change long press home to Google now... Thanks again

marxses
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Thanks! I was using ES file Explorer... I don't know what happened amongst text editors, but the rom tool box text editor did the trick... I appreciate your time and patience. Now it's time to figure out how to change long press home to Google now... Thanks again
All good, glad you got it sorted.

Another option is home2shortcut it uses double tap instead of long press, just tried it for kicks and it works really well, quite snappy