Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] P605 S Pen in Portrait Mode lags a lot

OP Razorless

11th July 2014, 02:10 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 14

216 posts
I'm using the 4.4.2 Stock firmware rooted and I noticed the following:

Whenever I'm drawing/writing somethig in S Note or Sketchbook while the Tablet is in portrait (vertical) mode the S Pen is lagging big time. There is a huge delay between the Pen and the ink. Drawing with my finger works normally. Also other apps like papyrus work just fine in portrait.

Is this a general issue, could someone confirm this? Could this maybe only affect the LTE Snapdragon versions?
Last edited by Razorless; 12th July 2014 at 01:21 PM.
18th July 2014, 09:34 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1

12 posts
Personally, i haven't noticed anything like that in mine :/

maybe its due to the rooted firmware ?!?!?
19th July 2014, 09:11 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

216 posts
You are on stock kitkat? Also, do you have the wifi or LTE version? Because they use different SOCs.
19th July 2014, 11:35 AM   |  #4  

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorless

You are on stock kitkat? Also, do you have the wifi or LTE version? Because they use different SOCs.

Stock , LTE version. So far haven' t noticed any difference in portrait mode :/
19th July 2014, 01:06 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

216 posts
That's interesting. Did you update via the OTA updater or Odin?

Let give a more precise description of this weird phenomenon:
While using S Note or Sketchbook in Portrait I can draw smoothly when I immediatly bring the pen in contact with the screen, so long as I draw a continuous line.
However, as soon as I let go and the pen cursor floats around for about a few seconds, pen input and cursor start lagging.
If I remove the pen from the display (cursor no longer visable) and put it back on (direct without delay) than I can draw smoothly until I start a new line.
20th July 2014, 12:34 AM   |  #6  

12 posts
OTA updated . Made some more tests in my own and thoroughly noticed that you were right about the lag in portrait mode but not so close to what you described . For writting i use mostly Lecture Notes which is quicker indeed compared to S Note and then l saw the lag in portrait mode , but when saying lag i mean that takes 1/4 second to respond compared to landscape mode which is frustrating .

Also I must add that i noticed that when using S note in multi - window mode suddenly all the lag dissapears in portrait mode !
20th July 2014, 08:55 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

216 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iConstantinos

Also I must add that i noticed that when using S note in multi - window mode suddenly all the lag dissapears in portrait mode !

That's right, as soon as the app uses the entire screen, it lags. Seems to be a bug inside S Note / Sketchbook. However, lecture Notes is ineed a lot better.
I originally bought this for the handwriting recognition, but sadly S Notes lags other features (like vertical seemless scroll) so I'll be using Lecture Notes. S Notes will probably not be updated though. At least not on current devices, maybe on the next Note.

Curse you Samsung for fragmentation!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread