Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,888 Members 36,227 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] abysmal micro sd card performance (64GB Sandisk Extreme Plus)

Tip us?

raclimja
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Exclamation [Q] abysmal micro sd card performance (64GB Sandisk Extreme Plus)

I just purchased a 64GB Sandisk Extreme Plus MicroSD card (80MB/s Read and 50MB/s Write) and the performance on Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 WiFi SM-P600 is absolutely horrid.

I tested using A1 SD Bench and i got 34.44MB/s Read and 23.50MB/s Write which is significantly slower than what the MicroSD card is capable nor the built in storage which scores 140.96MB/s Read and 38.48MB/s write.

I am running a bone stock non-rooted 4.4.2 (build #KOT49H.P600UEUCND2).

So is the MicroSD slot on the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 WiFi SM-P600 bandwidth capped at 35MB/s Read and 25MB/s Write?

Paulx777
Old
Thanks Meter 7
From what I understand from recently looking into buying a new micro SD card for myself, that's pretty normal. I was searching through Amazon comparing the different 64GB micro SD cards and reading the reviews and came across a guy who wrote a review explaining why this is. It got way too technical for me so I can't recall exactly why. But he claimed that it's normal for any brand of micro SD to have read/write scores way below what the manufacturer prints on the package. Anyway, he seemed to really know what he was talking about and he recommended the 64GB Samsung Pro (I think that's the name of it, there's the Samsung Evo and then it's the one a step above that), hee claimed that was the best one to buy. From what I remember the SanDisk and the Samsung 64GB cards are pretty similarly priced as well. It makes sense, a Samsung Micro SD card working the best in a Samsung product I guess. Maybe try to return the SanDisk and give the Samsung a try?

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium HD app

blindmanpb
Old
Thanks Meter 7
The read/write speeds quoted on microSD cards usually state UP TO ##MB/s. Just like with gas mileage and battery life, actual results can vary widely based on specific usage.

The methods used by most benchmarking tools to measure speed will not be the same as the methods used by microSD card manufacturers.

raclimja
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Actually when I put the Sandisk extreme plus on my USB 3.0 card reader and benchmarked it on my computer using as ssd, atto and crystal disk mark it achieved 84-93MB/s read and 44-63MB/s write so there is question of the microsd card itself not being capable reaching those speeds.
Tags
microsd, note 10.1 2014, poor performance, slow, sm-p600