Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Defective and warranty Problems

OP joelmitchell8

22nd August 2014, 12:36 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Just watch these to see what appears to be a major manufacturer defect. And the seller, B&H, wants me to bring it in 30 days within sale, which I cannot do because I do not live in USA or NYC where I bought it. Samsung has only US warranty on it.

I have some Youtube video, but cant add the links due to XDA policy

It is basically flickering and monitor is out of control

Change ROM?
Wait for new stock ROM?
22nd August 2014, 01:38 PM   |  #2  
Flag islamabad

16 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelmitchell8

Just watch these to see what appears to be a major manufacturer defect. And the seller, B&H, wants me to bring it in 30 days within sale, which I cannot do because I do not live in USA or NYC where I bought it. Samsung has only US warranty on it.

I have some Youtube video, but cant add the links due to XDA policy

It is basically flickering and monitor is out of control

Change ROM?
Wait for new stock ROM?

If you dont have warranty and cannot change it either, then why not try changing the firmware. May be it will resolve the issue.

which android version are you on?
23rd August 2014, 06:50 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drag80

If you dont have warranty and cannot change it either, then why not try changing the firmware. May be it will resolve the issue.

which android version are you on?

The Device ships with 4.4.2 or updates to it. And this is what available Stock Roms are. Samsung tech support said there are no downgrades or upgrades, which sounds like robotic responses. The problem with custom roms is that I can only use ODIN. So I am planning to flash a new stock rom from sammobile, but the region is different. What is odd has to do with the left corner of the monitor being very dim, then sometimes it isn't. Sometimes the screen flickers continuously like a Strobe Light. Of course this strobing is before and after I adjust settings. In my opinion, Samsung has produced too many products with many in the mediocre category rather than all resources focusing on one to be superior.
Were I still in USA, I'd return it to the store of purchase for full refund. Now that I cannot, I have to ship it for service, but this is unlikely happening until 11 months from now.
23rd August 2014, 08:08 AM   |  #4  
Flag Cape Town

19 posts
More
Same issue
Quote:

The Device ships with 4.4.2 or updates to it. And this is what available Stock Roms are. Samsung tech support said there are no downgrades or upgrades, which sounds like robotic responses. The problem with custom roms is that I can only use ODIN. So I am planning to flash a new stock rom from sammobile, but the region is different. What is odd has to do with the left corner of the monitor being very dim, then sometimes it isn't. Sometimes the screen flickers continuously like a Strobe Light. Of course this strobing is before and after I adjust settings. In my opinion, Samsung has produced too many products with many in the mediocre category rather than all resources focusing on one to be superior.
Were I still in USA, I'd return it to the store of purchase for full refund. Now that I cannot, I have to ship it for service, but this is unlikely happening until 11 months from now.

Well I had the same issue about the screen flickering seems to me as a faulty back light as it's not the screen itself, reason for this being if you install a screen recording app and record the screen while flickering and you play the video back the video wont show any flickering, unfortunately changing firmware wont help this issue.

Im from South Africa and my tablet came out with andriod 4.3, put custom firmware on can't remember which one, issue still occurred, then I upgraded to android 4.4 (P605XXUCNG1_P605OXXCNG1_SEE) still didn't solved the issue, running custom rom 4.4 (xkat) now still having the issue, but hey maybe you lucky and custom firmware works for you.

GOOD LUCK
23rd August 2014, 09:55 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVirus1

Well I had the same issue about the screen flickering seems to me as a faulty back light as it's not the screen itself, reason for this being if you install a screen recording app and record the screen while flickering and you play the video back the video wont show any flickering, unfortunately changing firmware wont help this issue.

Im from South Africa and my tablet came out with andriod 4.3, put custom firmware on can't remember which one, issue still occurred, then I upgraded to android 4.4 (P605XXUCNG1_P605OXXCNG1_SEE) still didn't solved the issue, running custom rom 4.4 (xkat) now still having the issue, but hey maybe you lucky and custom firmware works for you.

GOOD LUCK

You are correct! Changing ROMS doesn't make a difference. Samsung said they have never heard of our problem. Please keep calling Samsung until you can get them to service it under the 1 year warranty. Did you purchase it locally or within your country? Mine has US warranty only, but I am in China working for next 11 months, so I can send it, rather expensive to do that and not sure if it would make it undamaged.
If you put stock rom, they warranty will still be valid. However, the issue never goes away.
25th August 2014, 05:33 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 3

4 posts
Cool Screen lighting issues
Hello , guys .

- the issue may be related to auto-brightness like on one of my devices tf701 ( deal with prop. settings ) , or brightness meter ( front camera )
- battery voltage management ( rare )
- and as you said the broken backlight of the screen .
i dont know anythong about other possibilities , actually maybe connectors issues.
25th August 2014, 08:56 AM   |  #7  
Flag Cape Town

19 posts
More
Quote:

You are correct! Changing ROMS doesn't make a difference. Samsung said they have never heard of our problem. Please keep calling Samsung until you can get them to service it under the 1 year warranty. Did you purchase it locally or within your country? Mine has US warranty only, but I am in China working for next 11 months, so I can send it, rather expensive to do that and not sure if it would make it undamaged.
If you put stock rom, they warranty will still be valid. However, the issue never goes away.

I purchase it locally and my warranty is voided (knox), but last night I found out something very interesting, while playing clash of clans last night my screen started flickering again. WHILE the screen was flickering my hand moved over the light sensor (the little circle next to your front camera) and guess what happened.....jip the flickering stopped IMMEDIATELY as I moved my hand away from the sensor the flickering started again. So I guess the fault is with the sensor cause its duty is to adjust the screen (back light brightness) acording to the light condition.

So today I will remove the auto brightness setting use the tablet and see what happens, will give feedback.
25th August 2014, 09:09 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:

I purchase it locally and my warranty is voided (knox), but last night I found out something very interesting, while playing clash of clans last night my screen started flickering again. WHILE the screen was flickering my hand moved over the light sensor (the little circle next to your front camera) and guess what happened.....jip the flickering stopped IMMEDIATELY as I moved my hand away from the sensor the flickering started again. So I guess the fault is with the sensor cause its duty is to adjust the screen (back light brightness) acording to the light condition.

So today I will remove the auto brightness setting use the tablet and see what happens, will give feedback.

I usually disable the auto brightness while attempting to get it working. The monitor no longer comes on now. I can fully charge it, hit start, hear noises and vibrations, but no monitor. All the flickering must have burnt it out.
26th August 2014, 01:59 PM   |  #9  
Flag Cape Town

19 posts
More
FEEDBACK
Quote:

I usually disable the auto brightness while attempting to get it working. The monitor no longer comes on now. I can fully charge it, hit start, hear noises and vibrations, but no monitor. All the flickering must have burnt it out.

FEEDBACK: So after disabling the auto brightness i haven't had a single flicker so far, but now I must manually adjust my brightness every time my light condition change . As for you screen displaying nothing after switching it on and hearing the "noise" welcome sound i presume. Hold your table at different angles and see if i can see something.
26th August 2014, 02:19 PM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:

FEEDBACK: So after disabling the auto brightness i haven't had a single flicker so far, but now I must manually adjust my brightness every time my light condition change . As for you screen displaying nothing after switching it on and hearing the "noise" welcome sound i presume. Hold your table at different angles and see if i can see something.

At certain angles the flashing does have more or less flashing, but this was before the screen turned black and stayed black.Now that the screen has burnt out, I had noticed a samsung screen attempting to go on when I push power. But basically it is a dead screen 26 days into owning the device, 5 hard resets later, hours with tech support, and nothing else to do. So I am taking a 3 hour bus ride to hand deliver it to the service center in Beijing, which is the closest center to my work where I will be until July.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread