Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,869 Members 39,382 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Few questions

Tip us?
 
HUYI
Old
(Last edited by HUYI; 8th July 2014 at 02:48 PM.)
#1  
HUYI's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 147
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default Few questions

I'm interested in buying a GN 2014 but there is a few concerns;

If i buy one now and there is 4.4.2 pre installed can i downgrade the tablet to 4.3? Micro sd card support is very important to me i don't want kit kat, also Does the tablet auto update because i want to stay on 4.3.

How easy is it to root the device? Do you think i can buy a GN 2014 now and get 4.3 out of the box? What are my chances?

If i can't downgrade them i will take it back and go back to my original plan and get a laptop.

Also please don't say stay on 4.4.2 because kit kat is the reason I'm going back to laptops in the first place so please don't tell me to update to kit kat i don't want it.
Mobile phones owned: Nokia 5110, Nokia 3210, Nokia 3310, Nokia 3410, Nokia 3510, Nokia 7610, Nokia 7650, Nokia N70, Nokia N73, Nokia Xpress Music 5800, Sony CMD J70, Sony Ericsson T618, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, Motorola V100, Samsung T100, Samsung Galaxy S2, Current: samsung galaxy Note 2

my, hasn't technology changed a lot compared to back in the day
 
parcou
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 48
Posts: 680
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: TN
Just bought mine and it came with 4.4.2 and I root & custom rom all my devices but wish I would have asked like you or had more options...

1. Downgrade...from what I have read and you keep reading no one has a lower firmware for the device that I can OBIN. With that I might could get off 442 and go to a 412 or something so I can get a custom recovery for a newer rom

2. Root...bless this guy with 442 Towelroot was the only thing I could find to root mine...but that's all I can do: https://towelroot.com/

3. Getting one out the box that is something other than 4.3 will just be luck...who knows

My cell is a Note 3 on Beans rom so I was looking to custom my 2014 Tablet and hope that some love from a dev will come to the 442... I did not read like you I just like the Note's so I bought it...I still would have but hurt that I have to stay stock.

Hope this helps and maybe some others will add to this...
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) (rooted only) by VZW
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (rooted Beans) by VZW
Samsung Gear (rooted NULL)
Samsung Gear 2


_________________________
(retired) Samsung Galaxy S3
(retired) HTC Thunderbolt
(retired) HTC Incredible 2
(retired) HTC Incredible
(retired) HTC TouchPro 2
(retired) HTC TouchPro
(retired) HTC 6800
...All Verizon Wireless
 
HUYI
Old
#3  
HUYI's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 147
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by parcou View Post
Just bought mine and it came with 4.4.2 and I root & custom rom all my devices but wish I would have asked like you or had more options...

1. Downgrade...from what I have read and you keep reading no one has a lower firmware for the device that I can OBIN. With that I might could get off 442 and go to a 412 or something so I can get a custom recovery for a newer rom

2. Root...bless this guy with 442 Towelroot was the only thing I could find to root mine...but that's all I can do: https://towelroot.com/

3. Getting one out the box that is something other than 4.3 will just be luck...who knows

My cell is a Note 3 on Beans rom so I was looking to custom my 2014 Tablet and hope that some love from a dev will come to the 442... I did not read like you I just like the Note's so I bought it...I still would have but hurt that I have to stay stock.

Hope this helps and maybe some others will add to this...
so there is a high chance i will get 4.4.2 then maybe it's a good idea that i stick to buying a laptop then, it's always good to be informed of what you are buying before making a decision, i could never blindly buy a product without looking for issues.

anyways thanks for the help and reply.
Mobile phones owned: Nokia 5110, Nokia 3210, Nokia 3310, Nokia 3410, Nokia 3510, Nokia 7610, Nokia 7650, Nokia N70, Nokia N73, Nokia Xpress Music 5800, Sony CMD J70, Sony Ericsson T618, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, Motorola V100, Samsung T100, Samsung Galaxy S2, Current: samsung galaxy Note 2

my, hasn't technology changed a lot compared to back in the day
 
iConstantinos
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 9
Join Date: Jun 2014
I got mine few days ago and it was in 4.3! I think that depends mostly from where are you gonna buy it.

By that l mean that l had mine from amazon imported from HK. I checked its date that was made and was in the January!

I think that if you plan to buy it from USA and looking from one that Verizon or T-mobile sells then you probably gonna meet Kit Kat because are considered to be the newest .

Anyway that's just a hypotheses.. As far auto-update is concerned mine (and generally I believe) it asks for permission !
The Following User Says Thank You to iConstantinos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
HUYI
Old
#5  
HUYI's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 147
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iConstantinos View Post
I got mine few days ago and it was in 4.3! I think that depends mostly from where are you gonna buy it.

By that l mean that l had mine from amazon imported from HK. I checked its date that was made and was in the January!

I think that if you plan to buy it from USA and looking from one that Verizon or T-mobile sells then you probably gonna meet Kit Kat because are considered to be the newest .

Anyway that's just a hypotheses.. As far auto-update is concerned mine (and generally I believe) it asks for permission !
Thanks for your reply but I'm more concerned about uk stock more than anything, i don't like the fact that some places have poor return policys if the box is opened that's why i need to be sure it's 4.3 out of the box.
Mobile phones owned: Nokia 5110, Nokia 3210, Nokia 3310, Nokia 3410, Nokia 3510, Nokia 7610, Nokia 7650, Nokia N70, Nokia N73, Nokia Xpress Music 5800, Sony CMD J70, Sony Ericsson T618, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, Motorola V100, Samsung T100, Samsung Galaxy S2, Current: samsung galaxy Note 2

my, hasn't technology changed a lot compared to back in the day
 
lanwarrior
Old
#6  
lanwarrior's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 131
Posts: 1,986
Join Date: Mar 2006
Keep in mind that TowelRoot only works with the 3G/LTE version, not Wifi. For Wifi, there is CF-Root, but that will trip KNOX. If you don't care about KNOX tripping, then you're OK.

I am (impatiently) waiting for root for the Wifi version that won't trip KNOX.
Galaxy Note 3 T-Mobile
Stock ROM - rooted
Official Jelly Bean 4.3

Note 10.1 (2014)
Stock ROM - Not rooted since KNOX tripping
Official KitKat 4.4.2

Retired
Nexus 5
Nexus 7 (2013)
Galaxy Note 8.0
Nexus 7 (2012)
AT&T Galaxy Note
AT&T Galaxy S4 Active
 
HUYI
Old
#7  
HUYI's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 147
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior View Post
Keep in mind that TowelRoot only works with the 3G/LTE version, not Wifi. For Wifi, there is CF-Root, but that will trip KNOX. If you don't care about KNOX tripping, then you're OK.

I am (impatiently) waiting for root for the Wifi version that won't trip KNOX.
Hmm, i was looking into towelroot too, I've heard that tripping knox won't void warrenty but i know that won't be the case because Samsung wouldn't waste time putting knox on tablets in the first place if they want to keep an eye on things.
Mobile phones owned: Nokia 5110, Nokia 3210, Nokia 3310, Nokia 3410, Nokia 3510, Nokia 7610, Nokia 7650, Nokia N70, Nokia N73, Nokia Xpress Music 5800, Sony CMD J70, Sony Ericsson T618, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, Motorola V100, Samsung T100, Samsung Galaxy S2, Current: samsung galaxy Note 2

my, hasn't technology changed a lot compared to back in the day
 
planetf1
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 68
Posts: 607
Join Date: Jan 2010
I had a p600 from John Lewis on Friday and it was 4.3. No 4.4 update for btu yet. Frustrating for me, good for you...!
 
HUYI
Old
#9  
HUYI's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 147
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetf1 View Post
I had a p600 from John Lewis on Friday and it was 4.3. No 4.4 update for btu yet. Frustrating for me, good for you...!
thanks for telling me, i've decided to get the laptop anyway, if anything changes at the last minute i know where to order from lol
Mobile phones owned: Nokia 5110, Nokia 3210, Nokia 3310, Nokia 3410, Nokia 3510, Nokia 7610, Nokia 7650, Nokia N70, Nokia N73, Nokia Xpress Music 5800, Sony CMD J70, Sony Ericsson T618, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, Motorola V100, Samsung T100, Samsung Galaxy S2, Current: samsung galaxy Note 2

my, hasn't technology changed a lot compared to back in the day

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...