Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Rooting Questions

OP dudeian

16th September 2014, 09:44 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Port Vila
Thanks Meter: 0
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2014
More
Hi guys,

I am new to the xda forums and I have been researching about rooting my note 10.1 2014 p600 (WIFI). I have three questions about rooting my device.

1. How would I update my tab with root? I heard you can't get OTA updates.

2. What is the best and safest way to root?

3. How do I get TWRP and is it good?

I haven't installed knox on it yet and I am a beginner to linux and have done research so I know what root is.
Last edited by dudeian; 16th September 2014 at 10:19 AM.
17th September 2014, 02:09 AM   |  #2  
buhohitr's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,629
 
5,448 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeian

Hi guys,

I am new to the xda forums and I have been researching about rooting my note 10.1 2014 p600 (WIFI). I have three questions about rooting my device.

1. How would I update my tab with root? I heard you can't get OTA updates.

2. What is the best and safest way to root?

3. How do I get TWRP and is it good?

I haven't installed knox on it yet and I am a beginner to linux and have done research so I know what root is.

Ok, First, for the p600 if you root, you will trip Knox which will void your warranty and there is no way around this and this is the only way to root your model (p600), If you don't care about warranty then continue...
1) Download this file https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ixx-smp600.zip then unzip, you will see this file CF-Auto-Root-lt03wifi-lt03wifixx-smp600.tar.md5.
2) Turn Off Tablet, Hold Volume Down + Power. Follow the instructions on the screen to get to download mode (Odin mode).

Rooting Instructions
1.Flash the CF-Auto-Root-lt03wifi-lt03wifixx-smp600.tar.md5 file with Odin v3.09 (put in AP slot, don't change any other settings, click start)
2.Let it do its trick! boot up then go to play store download and install supersu in order to update supersu to the latest binary.
3. Boot back into Odin mode and flash TWRP version 2.6.3.3 found here https://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/lt03wifiue/
That's all!
Last edited by buhohitr; 17th September 2014 at 02:13 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to buhohitr For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th September 2014, 11:28 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Port Vila
Thanks Meter: 0
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr

Ok, First, for the p600 if you root, you will trip Knox which will void your warranty and there is no way around this and this is the only way to root your model (p600), If you don't care about warranty then continue...
1) Download this file then unzip, you will see this file CF-Auto-Root-lt03wifi-lt03wifixx-smp600.tar.md5.
2) Turn Off Tablet, Hold Volume Down + Power. Follow the instructions on the screen to get to download mode (Odin mode).

Rooting Instructions
1.Flash the CF-Auto-Root-lt03wifi-lt03wifixx-smp600.tar.md5 file with Odin v3.09 (put in AP slot, don't change any other settings, click start)
2.Let it do its trick! boot up then go to play store download and install supersu in order to update supersu to the latest binary.
3. Boot back into Odin mode and flash TWRP version 2.6.3.3 found here
That's all!

Thanks! This is great help.
17th September 2014, 10:06 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Port Vila
Thanks Meter: 0
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr

Ok, First, for the p600 if you root, you will trip Knox which will void your warranty and there is no way around this and this is the only way to root your model (p600), If you don't care about warranty then continue...

Knox is just a shortcut to the install link, Does this mean it's not installed or is the shortcut just extras (I don't know how to post screenshots).
Last edited by dudeian; 17th September 2014 at 10:11 PM.
17th September 2014, 10:43 PM   |  #5  
buhohitr's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,629
 
5,448 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeian

Knox is just a shortcut to the install link, Does this mean it's not installed or is the shortcut just extras (I don't know how to post screenshots).

I don't understand what you are saying???
When I said tripped Knox void warranty is that your device detected that you installed unauthorized software which tripped the knox counter. You can see this by boot into download mode (Odin mode) and you should see a line like this:
Warranty bit: 1 (factory is 0x0)
I hope that what you're asking!
The Following User Says Thank You to buhohitr For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th September 2014, 07:39 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Flag Port Vila
Thanks Meter: 0
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr

I don't understand what you are saying???
When I said tripped Knox void warranty is that your device detected that you installed unauthorized software which tripped the knox counter. You can see this by boot into download mode (Odin mode) and you should see a line like this:
Warranty bit: 1 (factory is 0x0)
I hope that what you're asking!

Yup.
20th September 2014, 11:04 PM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
20 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
ok, now i'm getting confused.

my p600 is still on 4.3 jellybean. but from what i read, as long as did not update to kitkat firmware, i can still unroot and reverse the warranty bit bcoz they don't have knox yet. but it'll be too late if i updated to kikat right? btw, i used cf-auto-root.

just weeks ago i rooted my p600 and flashed stock recovery, so now my p600 thinks its stock official firmware, even say so in about device.
i haven't tried unrooting it yet to confirm that i can get warrenty back by flashing back whole stock firmware bcoz i don't want to redo all settings again. but thats the impression i'm geting.

anyhow if i can't really reverse that warranty thing i don't really care anyways. i warranty my stuff better than they do it, and since i think i can still get updates, it bothers me even less if its unreversible. but in the case if i'm right, and i can reverse that warranty bit. maybe one day i'd like to update to kitkat. then what? i'll have to have knox in my system and i can't reverse warranty counter anymore?

is there a way i can update to a custom kikat firmware (one day) and not have knox so i'll still be able to get warranty back?
i kind of realized the dilemma i have here since if i own the device for more than a yr, my warranty wouldn't matter anymore. am i just thinking too much and worrying myself?
20th September 2014, 11:57 PM   |  #8  
buhohitr's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,629
 
5,448 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazukiflame

ok, now i'm getting confused.

my p600 is still on 4.3 jellybean. but from what i read, as long as did not update to kitkat firmware, i can still unroot and reverse the warranty bit bcoz they don't have knox yet. but it'll be too late if i updated to kikat right? btw, i used cf-auto-root.

just weeks ago i rooted my p600 and flashed stock recovery, so now my p600 thinks its stock official firmware, even say so in about device.
i haven't tried unrooting it yet to confirm that i can get warrenty back by flashing back whole stock firmware bcoz i don't want to redo all settings again. but thats the impression i'm geting.

anyhow if i can't really reverse that warranty thing i don't really care anyways. i warranty my stuff better than they do it, and since i think i can still get updates, it bothers me even less if its unreversible. but in the case if i'm right, and i can reverse that warranty bit. maybe one day i'd like to update to kitkat. then what? i'll have to have knox in my system and i can't reverse warranty counter anymore?

is there a way i can update to a custom kikat firmware (one day) and not have knox so i'll still be able to get warranty back?
i kind of realized the dilemma i have here since if i own the device for more than a yr, my warranty wouldn't matter anymore. am i just thinking too much and worrying myself?

Yes you're confused!!. Knox has nothing to do with warranty bit, once this tripped, you can't undo doesn't matter you on 4.3 or 4.4.
1st November 2014, 05:49 AM   |  #9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
60 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
I'm a little confused on a few other issues. I have read over 40 pages on another thread here about rooting etc and I couldn't find the answer to a few questions. I've just successfully rooted using the most recent instructions (P600 - CF Auto root) but in earlier instructions (about a year ago) you had to also install the stock recovery file using Odin. Is that a necessary step? Is it needed for OTA updates? Since I've read that OTA updates will unroot and possibly prevent you from rooting at all, is it best to just forget about OTAs and flash up to date files from this site? Is it also prudent to turn off auto updating in the settings.

If I'm not installing custom roms and backed up using Titanium Pro do I really need to install TWRP? Any other benefits other than nandroid? Thanks
1st November 2014, 08:16 AM   |  #10  
buhohitr's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,629
 
5,448 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarr3

I'm a little confused on a few other issues. I have read over 40 pages on another thread here about rooting etc and I couldn't find the answer to a few questions. I've just successfully rooted using the most recent instructions (P600 - CF Auto root) but in earlier instructions (about a year ago) you had to also install the stock recovery file using Odin. Is that a necessary step? Is it needed for OTA updates? Since I've read that OTA updates will unroot and possibly prevent you from rooting at all, is it best to just forget about OTAs and flash up to date files from this site? Is it also prudent to turn off auto updating in the settings.

If I'm not installing custom roms and backed up using Titanium Pro do I really need to install TWRP? Any other benefits other than nandroid? Thanks

Once you rooted you can't use OTA update any more. So the easiest going forward is to flash TWRP and use it to flash pre-rooted rom from this site.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes