OP manxexile

15th August 2014, 12:54 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Market Harborough
Thanks Meter: 13

76 posts
More
SM-P600 series cracked screen repair.

I have a badly cracked screen on my SM-P600 and have ordered the complete LCD + digitizer to do the repair - having watched how difficult is was to clean a phone with LCD glued to the screen - and it also seems that there is nobody willing to take on the job in the UK.

The screen and all the internals extract from the front screen side of the unit leaving a "carapace" behind.

Bought LCD here -> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Screen...item3ce14e2f51

Tools used :- Old credit cards cut to suit (tools had not arrived) and watchmakers cross point screwdriver. Hair-dryer. Stanley knife (Utility knife)

I decided not to video my repair as it would have taken days - being in my 70s and not too clever with the eyes, meaning I have to keep changing spectacles for everything and I have a dreadful habit of removing an item or using a tool, putting it down and spending the next few minutes looking for it - you've guessed it - changing specs!

There is a perfectly good strip down on Utube here :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOzrRu8PB2Y many thanks to Gorepair.de for the video - and that's the easy part.

After removing all the gubbins you are left with the LCD + digitizer attached to a grey frame by means of thin double sided sticky tape. I heated the peripheral of the screen with the wife's hair dryer and very carefully removed the cracked screen. By doing this I was able to re-use the tape on the new screen after carefully examining it for any glass splinters etc.. I also placed greenhouse tape - thicker & wider than Sellotape - over the screen before dismantling so that I was not showered with glass splinters. Another tip is a piece of sellotape over the power & volume buttons to keep them in place - they may be held in by other means but it's belt & braces, no harm there.

Before replacing the screen in the frame remember to replace the HOME button as I found out the tape is indeed very sticky and it was a bugger separating screen from frame to insert the button which I had, of course, forgotten to put back in! Should have Sellotaped it in new screen immediately on removal from the damaged one! There is also a short golden coloured multi tape that needs to be fed though the frame.

Now it is just a matter of reversing the strip down procedure and Fred is your Aunt Fanny's best friend!

The unit did work afterward despite my repair. It took me about three & an half hours including changing specs and lookin for misplaced items, so I'm sure less than two hours for a good sighted person that is "compus mentis" :)

It is not as daunting as it may first seem!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread