16th December 2014, 04:35 PM   |  #261  
Flag Tremont, Pennsylvania
Thanks Meter: 217

578 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicksteele

Giggity Giggity Giggity

Yes, that has how I have always felt about flashing my phones. Thank you for the great, but usually unrewarded work!! I'm going to miss all the devs from the Note 2 forums when I go full time to the OnePlus One.
The Following User Says Thank You to mattern1974 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th January 2015, 03:26 PM   |  #262  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,107

2,511 posts
Donate to Me
My wife's phone is running this stock, rooted with TWRP recovery. She tells me it has been trying to take an ota update, but the update is failing. For a while, she would find it rebooted into recovery in the morning. Now it's stopped doing that, but gives a screen saying that the update failed. I'm assuming that I can freeze the update to eliminate this pesky issue for her, but I know so little about the note II, and I can't seem to find the answer in the forums here. Can I do this with this setup, and can someone please point me to some guidance? Thanks
13th January 2015, 01:48 AM   |  #263  
OP Recognized Contributor
Haddonfield, IL
Thanks Meter: 3,355

1,305 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepyncrawly

My wife's phone is running this stock, rooted with TWRP recovery. She tells me it has been trying to take an ota update, but the update is failing. For a while, she would find it rebooted into recovery in the morning. Now it's stopped doing that, but gives a screen saying that the update failed. I'm assuming that I can freeze the update to eliminate this pesky issue for her, but I know so little about the note II, and I can't seem to find the answer in the forums here. Can I do this with this setup, and can someone please point me to some guidance? Thanks

Using Titanium Backup or similar app freeze AT&T Software Update

(Shameless plug - you could also update the phone to the NJ1 firmware via my NJ1 thread)
Last edited by Zen Arcade; 13th January 2015 at 01:52 AM.
13th January 2015, 02:59 PM   |  #264  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,107

2,511 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade

Using Titanium Backup or similar app freeze AT&T Software Update

It had to be simple.
Quote:

(Shameless plug - you could also update the phone to the NJ1 firmware via my NJ1 thread)

Yeah, I actually went ahead and updated it yesterday. I'll probably freeze the software update also, though. Her phone was trying to update for about two months before I got around to fixing it. She didn't complain about it very much. Thanks, Zen.
16th January 2015, 09:33 PM   |  #265  
Flag Missouri
Thanks Meter: 1

49 posts
More
I've got the deodexed version installed and it runs beautifully, I'm incredibly happy with it. Everything seems to work perfectly so far.

Except one thing - the touch-button backlighting. No matter what option I choose in the settings, the backlight turns off after about 2 seconds.

Did I goof something up?

I used TWRP (don't remember off the top of my head which version, but it's a late one. I'm at work at the moment, I can't check) and am currently on NE5 bootloader and, I think, AGNi kernel.
(Baseband Version
i317UCUCNE5

Kernel Version
3.0.101-India-v4.2.4-OC-LTE-KitKat
AGNi@PSN-pureSTOCK #1

Build number
KOT49H.i317UCUCNE5)
17th January 2015, 06:49 PM   |  #266  
Haddonfield, IL

1,305 posts
Donate to Me
My guess is it's a kernel thing. If you are risk tolerant you can try this:

1. Copy the following packages to your phone's sdcard:

(A) the custom kernel from my NJ1 thread (see my sig for link)
(B) the stock kernel from this thread
(C) the AGNi stock kernel from the N7105 thread - link here (I used the kernel from July, ymmv with any of the latest ones):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2602053

2. Flash (A) - this will fix any SELinux file context issues (allowing the stock kernel to work) and give you a mostly stock kernel. You can then boot and see if you can set the touch light timeouts. If that works and your want a custom kernel with init.d and bootanimation support, you're done.

3. If that worked, but you'd rather be on the NE5 stock kernel, flash (B). Test to see if the timeouts still work (they should).

4. If neither worked, flash (C) and you'll be back to where you were at the start.
Last edited by Zen Arcade; 17th January 2015 at 06:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zen Arcade For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th January 2015, 05:07 PM   |  #267  
Flag Missouri

49 posts
More
I'm looking at your NJ1 thread at the moment and thinking deep thoughts. A couple questions:

I've been on this ROM for maybe a week, probably less, and wouldn't have a problem with simply flashing a newer ROM. Is the NJ1 newer than the NE5? Is there much of an advantage or disadvantage of one over the other?
Will simply flashing the NJ1 package accomplish the same task?

I hope you'll forgive my noobishness. I've been a long-time member of the site, but I haven't really been around since the Windows Mobile 6.1 era, so "rusty" doesn't even begin to describe me at the moment, heh.
20th January 2015, 01:07 AM   |  #268  
Haddonfield, IL

1,305 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsleepwalker

I'm looking at your NJ1 thread at the moment and thinking deep thoughts. A couple questions:

I've been on this ROM for maybe a week, probably less, and wouldn't have a problem with simply flashing a newer ROM. Is the NJ1 newer than the NE5? Is there much of an advantage or disadvantage of one over the other?
Will simply flashing the NJ1 package accomplish the same task?

I hope you'll forgive my noobishness. I've been a long-time member of the site, but I haven't really been around since the Windows Mobile 6.1 era, so "rusty" doesn't even begin to describe me at the moment, heh.

NJ1 is newer, and has some security enhancements and minor improvements over NE5. The packages I put together for NJ1 have some improvements over NE5 - support for SELinux file contexts, found and fixed a few minor issues. Overall it's still 4.4.2 and still looks the same.

I can confirm that the backlight timeout changes work on NJ1with the stock or custom stock kernel as that's what I'm running - you get your choice of 1.5s, 6s, on, or off.
Last edited by Zen Arcade; 20th January 2015 at 01:17 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zen Arcade For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th January 2015, 05:02 PM   |  #269  
Flag Missouri

49 posts
More
(I'm assuming your gender - if I'm wrong, please forgive me.)

You are the MAN. Thank you!

The Following User Says Thank You to djsleepwalker For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ucucne5 i317 att note2 4.4.2
Previous Thread Next Thread