Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,073 Members 45,947 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How To Tether Free on AT&T Android 4.4.2

Tip us?

06SilveradoZ71
Old
(Last edited by 06SilveradoZ71; 30th June 2014 at 07:43 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default How To Tether Free on AT&T Android 4.4.2

1. Go to Settings --> More --> Tab on Application Manager
2. Go to All tab (By scrolling Vertically)
3. Find AT&T Hot Spots and click it
4. When App info opens, click Turn off

Now AT&T Hotspot is turned off (The above steps just to ensure that AT&T hotspot is off

5. Download RootBrowser and the attached file and save to your phone. Know exactly where you saved it, so you can use it later on.

6. Browse to System/app and rename TetheringProvision.apk and TetheringProvision.odex . Rename the apk and odex to*.bak*(This way, you can rename them back in case the steps did not work for you)

7. After you finish replacing the files, go to your folder where you saved the attached file and copy it to system/app & change permissions to same as the other file you renamed

7. Reboot your phone.

8. Enjoy using foxfi app or any tether app

You cant use the phone settings hotspot but atleast you can tether free on 4.4.2 alot of people are still on unlimited plan so this helps alot

Download Here

Hit Thanks If I Helped

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 06SilveradoZ71 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dicksteele
Old
Thanks Meter 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SilveradoZ71 View Post
1. Go to Settings --> More --> Tab on Application Manager
2. Go to All tab (By scrolling Vertically)
3. Find AT&T Hot Spots and click it
4. When App info opens, click Turn off

Now AT&T Hotspot is turned off (The above steps just to ensure that AT&T hotspot is off

5. Download RootBrowser and the attached file and save to your phone. Know exactly where you saved it, so you can use it later on.

6. Browse to System/app and rename TetheringProvision.apk and TetheringProvision.odex . Rename the apk and odex to*.bak*(This way, you can rename them back in case the steps did not work for you)

7. After you finish replacing the files, go to your folder where you saved the attached file and copy it to system/app

7. Reboot your phone.

8. Enjoy using foxfi

Download Here

Just throwing a couple things out there.....

1. Have you tried this without changing file permissions after the copy?

2. The file is not foxfi.... Foxfi is a different app. This file is one of the stock files that has been modified. And this one does not look like it has been done completely, since it still pops up the notification that it is checking if the device is authorized to tether,

Yes it did work. Honestly I didn't test it without changing file permissions, because I already knew what they were and changed them before I rebooted.
"I suppose you could say that everyone has an El Guapo. For some, shyness may be an El Guapo. For others, lack of education may be an El Guapo. But for us, El Guapo is a large ugly man who wants to kill us!" But as sure as my name is Lucky Day, the people of Santa Poco can conquer their own personal El Guapo, who also happens to be *the actual* El Guapo! 3 Amigos

06SilveradoZ71
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicksteele View Post
Just throwing a couple things out there.....

1. Have you tried this without changing file permissions after the copy?

2. The file is not foxfi.... Foxfi is a different app. This file is one of the stock files that has been modified. And this one does not look like it has been done completely, since it still pops up the notification that it is checking if the device is authorized to tether,

Yes it did work. Honestly I didn't test it without changing file permissions, because I already knew what they were and changed them before I rebooted.
Did you like it works great

dicksteele
Old
Thanks Meter 1,264
Quote:
Did you like it works great

I'm not using it. I'm using one that was modified fully and does not have the notification pop up that it's checking for authorization.
"I suppose you could say that everyone has an El Guapo. For some, shyness may be an El Guapo. For others, lack of education may be an El Guapo. But for us, El Guapo is a large ugly man who wants to kill us!" But as sure as my name is Lucky Day, the people of Santa Poco can conquer their own personal El Guapo, who also happens to be *the actual* El Guapo! 3 Amigos

06SilveradoZ71
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
I'm not using it. I'm using one that was modified fully and does not have the notification pop up that it's checking for authorization.
Which one is that?

dicksteele
Old
Thanks Meter 1,264
Quote:
Which one is that?

I had it on my PC... It should be in General or Q&A Help forums.

Search for tether in those. Not going to be able to find it until later tonight

06SilveradoZ71
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
I had it on my PC... It should be in General or Q&A Help forums.

Search for tether in those. Not going to be able to find it until later tonight
Ill just use app called quarantine and disable tetheringprovision.apk & es file explorer to tether its fast & easy to turn off & on

sooby77
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I assume root neded?

M-Link,Int.
Old
(Last edited by M-Link,Int.; 26th July 2014 at 09:15 PM.) Reason: ---
Thanks Meter 8

DONATE TO ME
--Removed--

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
I assume root neded?
Yes you will, as the process requires a ROOT Explorer/Browser
My Thanks Meter Is Feeling Hungry.

If I've been helpful, please hit the thanks button... It won't kill you.

Shadow Lord
Old
(Last edited by Shadow Lord; 29th July 2014 at 01:44 AM.) Reason: Changed notification settings
Thanks Meter 0
Default What am I missing?

Hello All,

I just tried this and I am still unable to tether with AT&T. I have a Note II currently running 4.4.2. My OTA upgrade semi-bricked my phone (probably because I had a rooted 4.3 install). So I installed 4.4.2 using Zen's ODIN package. I then rerooted using CF-Autoroot and upgrade to SU 2.02 manually. According to Root checker I am rooted, I am also running 4.4.2 w/ the latest boot loader, modem, and kernel.

I first turned off ATT Hotspot as instructed. I then used Total Commander to rename the two existing files under System/app. I moved the APK in the OP into System/app and set permissions as before. I restarted my phone and tried FoxFi. It starts up and goes for a few seconds (which it did not on 4.3) It also seems to be transferring more data. However, once I try to connect my PC to the hotspot I get the "verifying" window and then the notice to call 611 to enable mobile hotspot.

Any ideas?

Thanks.