Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

Google Confirms “Android Lollipop Day” for November 3rd

A little over a week ago, Google announced the latest iteration of … more

Get Your XDA 2015 Custom Avatar and Signature Images Here

As stated in our motto, XDA Developer is for developers, by developers. The … more

Pin Your Photos on Android Lollipop with Photo Pinner

In the last few weeks,we have been talking quite a bit about Android 5.0 Lollipop. This … more

ATT Galaxy Note 2 I317UCUBMJ4 encryption without unroot and using hotspot

OP Aeon Fluks

17th July 2014, 10:04 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

1 posts
Sharing my experience with the leaked I317UCUBMJ4 Firmware for AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note II. I compiled all info here from my reseach. Most of the information is available on the internet. I have not built, uploaded, modified or developed any of these apps. Just sharing with the community what worked for me. pieces of these of info also available in fragments in xda developers and other web sites. Some parts of the processes requires you to install paid apps that has worked for me. If you know similar free or paid apps that can do the same job feel free to use them. I am basically showing here what worked for me.

First Goal: Downloading the ROM and Rooting the device.

Attention: This update will flash your boot loader, Recovery, system, data, basically everything in your note 2 ( will void your warranty too) and install stock I317UCUBMJ4 except the external sd card. Also Samsung KNOX will be part of your system. Good news is it can be removed easily with Super su app.

Step 1: Download and install the the file named : I317UCUBMJ4_OneClick.zip
This rom has an executable ODIN built-in so it is a no brainer. Just put your phone to download mode (while your phone is turned off, press home+ volume down and power button) and install the necessary drivers to your pc

mega.co.nz/#!alo3HAZC!L8nSwjeElTwJP2hTcsWQu2cjh8hQCpuNaccpX2_ _ph4

MD5: 170372B98BD00151856EF5E22A1DA4E3
SH1: 32487EF4D9A80DBD0A7FF9EC6B1D991736EF0DBE
CRC32 : 5D2A5F9F

Step 2: Follow the instructions in this page for rooting your device:

wccftech.com/root-galaxy-note-2-on-android-4-3-ucubmk6

Step 3: Login to your play store account and download rom toolbox pro and update super su binaries. Super su will ask you whether you want normal or twrp/cwm for update just choose normal. It will also ask you whether you want to remove the Samsung KNOX. just disable it. If super su hangs while disabling knox or updating binaries just quit the app and re-do the process. Restart your phone.

Second Goal: Encrypting your device without unrooting it and changing your encryption password without changing your screen lock password.

Note: Android doesnt allow you to encrypt your device without unrooing it so here is the trick to achieve it.

Step 2: Download and install xposed installer (and update it from the inside of the app), busy box free, and wanam xposed from play store.

Step 3: Launch wanam exposed, tap security hacks, check "Fake system Status" This step will fake the android encryption module that rom is "not rooted", Hit back button on your phone and reboot your phone.

Step 4: Go to system settings tap "More" tab, tap security, tap encrypt device and fiollow the instructions word by word.

Step 5: At this point I am assuming that you have followed the encryption instructions and encryped your device successfully. Reboot your device and you will realize that android doesn't give you the option to change the encryption and lock screen password individually. So it automatically sets your lockscreen password as your encryption password. If you change your lockscreen password your encryption changes and becomes the same paswword.

Step six: Launch rom toolbox pro or your terminal app (I used rom toolbox pro so I don't know whether other apps would work or not) Scroll down and tap terminal emulator. type "su" without the quotes and hit enter. type "vdc cryptfs changepw newpass" without the quotes and hit enter.The word "newpass" SHOULD BE REPLACED with whatever your encryption password is. Reboot phone and test your password. Make sure you remember your password exactly, otherwise it'll be impossible to access your phone, so pay attention to what you are typing as password or else you'll have to factory reset and redo from start. So be calm and take your time with this critical step.

Now you'll see the lock screen and encryption password are different. Purpose of this goal is to help the user to encrypt their phone with a long password and use a shorter one for the lock screen since you probably don't want to type 20 characters to unlock your screen each time.

Goal Three: Enabling the hotspot:

This ROM has a broken tethering hotspot app so You don't need steps just install WIFI Tether Router from play store. Leave all settings untouched (except changing the user name and password of course) it'll do all automatically.

Extra info: As a personal choice I installed TWRM recovery by using rom toolbox pro, like I stated before this flash also installs stock recovery. So, Launch it, tap on rom installer, slide screen right and tap on flash recovery. TWRP is all the way on the top and install it (my personal choice)
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeon Fluks For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st July 2014, 02:07 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
I was excited to see this post, thanks for doing some ground work.

I tried with a ucucne5 firmware from here and followed your instructions but it didn't work. Ill try with an MJ4 firmware next if i can.

thanks again for post

PS your link to mega for the MJ4 firmware doesnt work, has a space in it.
Last edited by scr33t; 31st July 2014 at 02:13 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread