OTA Update Today for AT&T Note 2

Search This thread

DroidTuner

Nov 14, 2014
I don't think so. I think it is a security update.
I'm rooted on stock rom so i just froze it using Titanium backup. Heard people installed the update and it froze there rooted phone.

Reactions: tacarat

dicksteele

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 4, 2010
California
Update the Software for the Samsung Galaxy Note II (i317)
Update summary

AT&T released a new software update for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (SGH-i317) via Firmware Over the Air (FOTA) over Wi-Fi on November 11, 2014.

Software Update Includes

Android OS Enhancements

User-Initiated Software Update

From the Home screen, press the Menu key.
Tap Settings.
Tap the More tab.
Tap About Device.
Tap Software update.
Tap Check for updates, and then follow the subsequent prompts.

Verifying the Update

Tap Settings.
Tap the More tab.
Tap About Device.
The following information displays:
Android version: 4.4.2
Baseband version: I317UCUCNJ1
Kernel version: 3.0.31-1728680 dpi@SWDD5922 #1 Wed Oct 1 22:38:36 KST 2014
Build number: KOT49H.I317UCUCNJ1
File size: 93.2MB

Reactions: gregsarg

keplenk

Aug 27, 2008
I already have TWRP installed (stock rooted - last build) and I'm just wondering if it is worth it go back to stock recovery and update - then reinstall TWRP all over again.

What do you think guys?

a042349

Feb 9, 2006
I already have TWRP installed (stock rooted - last build) and I'm just wondering if it is worth it go back to stock recovery and update - then reinstall TWRP all over again.

What do you think guys?

I wouldn't. I just posted this in the other thread about the OTA:

Same thing happened to me. Rooted but otherwise stock GN2. Got the update, rebooted and it got stuck at the boot logo. I tried everything. Flashed CWM, then tried a couple different ROM's. Then went to TWRP recovery, and tried the Team Elektron ROM, that got a little farther, boot logo with sound, but it still hung. Tried a modem update, and even the bootloader - nothing worked.

Luckily I had just bought mine ($300 on Amazon right now) so I just sent it back as defective and ordered a new one. Gonna be real careful of the ATT update and maybe even skip it and go right to a custom ROM.

Last edited:

kabinoff

Jan 18, 2011
same thing just happened to me. Got stuck on the "Launching Apps" screen. tried everything to recover. still have black tie protection on my phone from BB and decided to have them swap it under my plan.

New phone, up to date on 4.4.2 NJ1 but i would like to root now. Anyone successful yet?

Last edited:

melvinaury

Jan 11, 2009
Hatillo
same thing just happened to me. Got stuck on the "Launching Apps" screen. tried everything to recover. still have black tie protection on my phone from BB and decided to have them swap it under my plan.

New phone, up to date on 4.4.2 NJ1 but i would like to root now. Anyone successful yet?

Best way is to download a custom recovery and flash it in Odin. Then when boot hold on the home and up key to enter recovery. If the phone boot complete withou enter recovery, the recovery would be replaced with the factory recovery. When in recovery flash supersu zip and restart. The recovery will be replaced with the factory recovery, but you had root installed, enter supersu and reboot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Free mobile app

kabinoff

Jan 18, 2011
Best way is to download a custom recovery and flash it in Odin. Then when boot hold on the home and up key to enter recovery. If the phone boot complete withou enter recovery, the recovery would be replaced with the factory recovery. When in recovery flash supersu zip and restart. The recovery will be replaced with the factory recovery, but you had root installed, enter supersu and reboot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Free mobile app

actually flashed CF with Odin and it worked.

toshik1

Jul 9, 2011
St.Augustine FL
I don't understand one thing - official 4.4.2 OTA was released over a month ago, correct?
I have two Note 2 SGH-I317s AT&T branded with OEM 4.3 (no rooting or other non-OEM additions).
If I stick working AT&T SIM card and check for updates it says the device is up to date.
Moreover if I'd connect it to Kies it would also say that firmware is up to date!
Same thing on both phones - what am I missing?
I purchased them used - maybe the previous owners rooted them and this prevents them from updating?
One had a Knox at "1" since I for some stupid reason downgraded it to 4.1 via Odin (and then took it to AT&T service center where they flashed 4.3 back), another one has Knox at "0"...

Last edited:
I don't understand one thing - official 4.4.2 OTA was released over a month ago, correct?
I have two Note 2 SGH-I317s AT&T branded with OEM 4.3 (no rooting or other non-OEM additions).
If I stick working AT&T SIM card and check for updates it says the device is up to date.
Moreover if I'd connect it to Kies it would also say that firmware is up to date!
Same thing on both phones - what am I missing?
I purchased them used - maybe the previous owners rooted them and this prevents them from updating?
One had a Knox at "1" since I for some stupid reason downgraded it to 4.1 via Odin (and then took it to AT&T service center where they flashed 4.3 back), another one has Knox at "0"...
Is service activated on the AT&T SIM? That might be a factor.

Regardless, there are two 4.4.2 official releases for the I317 - NE5 and NJ1. If OTA won't work for you, check my sig for links to packages that provide another way to get the complete stock firmare on your phone - rooted or unrooted.

toshik1

Jul 9, 2011
St.Augustine FL
Is service activated on the AT&T SIM? That might be a factor.

Regardless, there are two 4.4.2 official releases for the I317 - NE5 and NJ1. If OTA won't work for you, check my sig for links to packages that provide another way to get the complete stock firmare on your phone - rooted or unrooted.

Yes the SIM card has normal active service on it.

Other reasons OTA won't work:

1 - Location (if you are not in an area where OTA updates are provided, then...
)
2 - AT&T Update apk disabled on phones (seems unlikely that this would be the case on two phones but a factory reset might clear this as it is set on the data side)
3 - Identity issues (could be any number of things related to IMEI, efs partition scrambling, etc - just spitballing)

As far as suggestions go, I'd say try a factory reset and clear cache from recovery. If that doesn't work, maybe go back to AT&T and see if they can figure it out - the phones are stock and it's their OTA process. If that doesn't work, you can pursue the path I suggested previously - same firmware update, minus the script that pushes stock recovery every time you boot. You will trip the knox flag though...only an issue for warranty repair really. Others here have intentially or unitentionally received the NJ1 OTA with the knox flag tripped on their phones.

Reactions: tacarat
I did a hard reset and finally took 423.13(!!!) Mb upgrade! Be careful what you wish for :)
Got 4.4.2 I317UCUCNE5
Glad to hear it. Wait a day (or disable network time and the set the time on the phone forward at least a day) and try again - you should get NJ1. (If that's what you want). ;) Approx. 93MB security and minor enhancement update.

toshik1

Jul 9, 2011
St.Augustine FL
Just to follow-up - it took the second update with T-Mobile SIM card even without waiting for 24 hours.
I guess in order to take the updates the phone's IMEI MUST re-register on AT&T network with the valid AT&T SIM card first.
It's now I317UCUCNJ1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't think so. I think it is a security update.
    I'm rooted on stock rom so i just froze it using Titanium backup. Heard people installed the update and it froze there rooted phone.
    Update the Software for the Samsung Galaxy Note II (i317)
    Update summary

AT&T released a new software update for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (SGH-i317) via Firmware Over the Air (FOTA) over Wi-Fi on November 11, 2014.

Software Update Includes

Android OS Enhancements

User-Initiated Software Update

Tap Settings.
    Tap the More tab.
    Tap About Device.
    Tap Software update.
    Tap Check for updates, and then follow the subsequent prompts.

Verifying the Update

Tap Settings.
    Tap the More tab.
    Tap About Device.
    The following information displays:
    Android version: 4.4.2
    Baseband version: I317UCUCNJ1
    Kernel version: 3.0.31-1728680 dpi@SWDD5922 #1 Wed Oct 1 22:38:36 KST 2014
    Build number: KOT49H.I317UCUCNJ1
    File size: 93.2MB
    Other reasons OTA won't work:

1 - Location (if you are not in an area where OTA updates are provided, then...
    )
    2 - AT&T Update apk disabled on phones (seems unlikely that this would be the case on two phones but a factory reset might clear this as it is set on the data side)
    3 - Identity issues (could be any number of things related to IMEI, efs partition scrambling, etc - just spitballing)

As far as suggestions go, I'd say try a factory reset and clear cache from recovery. If that doesn't work, maybe go back to AT&T and see if they can figure it out - the phones are stock and it's their OTA process. If that doesn't work, you can pursue the path I suggested previously - same firmware update, minus the script that pushes stock recovery every time you boot. You will trip the knox flag though...only an issue for warranty repair really. Others here have intentially or unitentionally received the NJ1 OTA with the knox flag tripped on their phones.