Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,468 Members 37,971 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

CAN i use at&t note ii with different carrier?

Tip us?

guyenxda000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default CAN i use at&t note ii with different carrier?

I have note ii from at&t which is also rooted. Can i use with different carrier as I am contemplating verizin wireless? Other day, i talked to girl in bestbuy and she has outright refused has no clue of what rooted phone is. Approached another guy, and pointed me to anohter person in another best buy location who can do some real technical advise but reminded me to talk to him in secrecy.

Another option seems to be sign up with Verizon buying real cheap 10$ phone and change the sim card.

Thanks,

xBkKx
Old
Thanks Meter 176
No, you can't. GSM networks only with this phone like T-Mobile. Verizon is a CDMA network
The Following User Says Thank You to xBkKx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DJ Scooby Doo
Old
Thanks Meter 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyenxda000 View Post
I have note ii from at&t which is also rooted. Can i use with different carrier as I am contemplating verizin wireless? Other day, i talked to girl in bestbuy and she has outright refused has no clue of what rooted phone is. Approached another guy, and pointed me to anohter person in another best buy location who can do some real technical advise but reminded me to talk to him in secrecy.

Another option seems to be sign up with Verizon buying real cheap 10$ phone and change the sim card.

Thanks,
As another member posted, with Verizon no. You can use it with T-Mobile, Simple Mobile, MetroPCS, Cricket, Red Pocket, Straight Talk, etc. Only GSM carriers support this phone. No CDMAs.
Device(s): (Current) AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note II (Unlocked), (Sold) HTC Sensation XE, (Sold) LG Optimus L9, (Sold for parts) Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989, (Sold) HTC Sensation (Unlocked), (Bricked) LG Optimus L9 (Factory Unlocked), (Traded) HTC MyTouch 4G (Unlocked)
ROM: (Note 2) Stock 4.3 (rooted), (Sensation XE) ViperS 5.1.0, (L9) Stock V20H (rooted), (Galaxy S2) Stock 4.2.1 (rooted), (Sensation) CM10.2 (4.3) with Sultan Kernel, (L9) Stock V20F (rooted), (MyTouch 4G) SyNthetic_aospX 1.0.0-MR1SG

slaydog
Old
Thanks Meter 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Scooby Doo View Post
As another member posted, with Verizon no. You can use it with T-Mobile, Simple Mobile, MetroPCS, Cricket, Red Pocket, Straight Talk, etc. Only GSM carriers support this phone. No CDMAs.
My work gives great discounts with Verizon; will somebody remind me why I hate CDMA networks?

DJ Scooby Doo
Old
Thanks Meter 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaydog View Post
My work gives great discounts with Verizon; will somebody remind me why I hate CDMA networks?
You what mate?
Device(s): (Current) AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note II (Unlocked), (Sold) HTC Sensation XE, (Sold) LG Optimus L9, (Sold for parts) Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989, (Sold) HTC Sensation (Unlocked), (Bricked) LG Optimus L9 (Factory Unlocked), (Traded) HTC MyTouch 4G (Unlocked)
ROM: (Note 2) Stock 4.3 (rooted), (Sensation XE) ViperS 5.1.0, (L9) Stock V20H (rooted), (Galaxy S2) Stock 4.2.1 (rooted), (Sensation) CM10.2 (4.3) with Sultan Kernel, (L9) Stock V20F (rooted), (MyTouch 4G) SyNthetic_aospX 1.0.0-MR1SG

nooton
Old
Thanks Meter 0
AT&T and Tmobile are GSM networks, mostly compatible.

You can use any AT&T phone (even locked) on AT&T or one of their MVNOs, basically resellers of their network. See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...work_operators

If you unlock it, you can also use it on Tmobile, or any of their MVNOs. But Tmobile HSPA+/LTE data networks may or may not match up too well with your AT&T phone, depends on the phone.

Sprint/Verizon use CDMA, a fundamentally incompatible technology from GSM, so it is a no-go.