Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,289 Members 36,735 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [RESOLVED] Bootloader / Kernel / Charging Issues

Tip us?
 
jparnell8839
Old
(Last edited by jparnell8839; 31st July 2014 at 04:12 AM.)
#1  
jparnell8839's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 361
Posts: 661
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tunnel Hill, GA

 
DONATE TO ME
Battery Low [Q] [RESOLVED] Bootloader / Kernel / Charging Issues

Ok, so I'm not new to Samsungs and I'm not new to modding, but the Note 2 is different from any experience I've ever had. I've had a SGS2, SGS Blaze 4G, two different SGS3's (i747 and i9300), and now the i317.

So, here's the issue. I got the phone off Swappa and it was pre-rooted with a custom recovery already. So it really wasn't much to upgrade to TWRP 2.7 and flash CM11. All's good for the next two weeks. Enter stage left: busted USB cable.

I come home from work yesterday to find my dog chewed my charger. I have more at work, doesn't help me at home (45 minute commute). Naturally, seeing as how I haven't charged in a couple days, it died.

Got to work this morning, plugged it into the charger aaaannnddd nada. No charge. I figure, "I remember reading about this in the DN3 thread!" So I borrow the battery out of my coworker's N2 and he charges mine while I use his to flash. And my hunt for bootloaders begins.

I've flashed:

GN2_N7105_(4.3_MK5_permissive_kernel).zip (as suggested in the DN3 thread): no dice.
cwm-i317-ucucne5-modem.zip: again, no dice.
A couple others, I did have about 50 tabs open on my browser, and I've lost track of what I actively have installed.

With each one of those, I checked my Build Info with Android System Info, and it reports my bootloader is I317UCAMA4

I've even tried flashing a couple kernels, including AGNi_pureSTOCK-v4.2.4_N7105_4.4.2_AROMA-signed.zip and cwm-i317-ucucne5-kernel.zip (which coincidentally makes android.process.media and com.android.dialer crash consistently), and still nothing. This is the problem with a device that has a bunch of variations: information overload.

So, I ask the community for help.

What I want: TWRP / CM11 to function optimally and to charge while powered off.
What I need: the proper kernel and bootloader, preferably in a recovery-flashable format, but I'm not too shy to Odin if necessary.

Thanks in advance for your help
Dont forget to click if I helped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanogen View Post
I mean this with the utmost respect: go eat a bowl of dicks.
 
jsdad
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 24
Join Date: May 2013
Default re: charging problems

I have two I317's. One has the 4.1.2 bootloader and one has the 4.4.2 bootloader.

4.1.2 bootloader- if I install a 4.4.2 rom, it turns the phone on if I plug in the charging cable. It won't stay off while charging. The charging works normally with 4.3 roms. I also tried this with the MJ4 (4.3?) bootloader.

4.4.2 bootloader- if I install a 4.3 rom and try to charge it with the phone turned off, it hangs on the empty battery charging symbol and cannot be turned on without a battery pull. The charging works normally with a 4.4.2 rom.

For my two phones and 4.4.2, the rom has to match the bootloader for charging to work properly.
 
jparnell8839
Old
#3  
jparnell8839's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 361
Posts: 661
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tunnel Hill, GA

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdad View Post
I have two I317's. One has the 4.1.2 bootloader and one has the 4.4.2 bootloader.

4.1.2 bootloader- if I install a 4.4.2 rom, it turns the phone on if I plug in the charging cable. It won't stay off while charging. The charging works normally with 4.3 roms. I also tried this with the MJ4 (4.3?) bootloader.

4.4.2 bootloader- if I install a 4.3 rom and try to charge it with the phone turned off, it hangs on the empty battery charging symbol and cannot be turned on without a battery pull. The charging works normally with a 4.4.2 rom.

For my two phones and 4.4.2, the rom has to match the bootloader for charging to work properly.
That makes sense. Would you mind linking me to a 4.4 bootloader? I've searched all up and down and no matter what I flash, my bootloader stays at UCAMA4.
Dont forget to click if I helped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanogen View Post
I mean this with the utmost respect: go eat a bowl of dicks.
 
terpin32
Old
#4  
terpin32's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 118
Posts: 720
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnell8839 View Post
That makes sense. Would you mind linking me to a 4.4 bootloader? I've searched all up and down and no matter what I flash, my bootloader stays at UCAMA4.
Here ya go

http://d-h.st/qDY

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to terpin32 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jsdad
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 24
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnell8839 View Post
That makes sense. Would you mind linking me to a 4.4 bootloader? I've searched all up and down and no matter what I flash, my bootloader stays at UCAMA4.
Just be warned...I don't think that you can revert back if you flash the 4.4.2 bootloader. You are stuck with it until something newer comes out.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsdad For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
terpin32
Old
#6  
terpin32's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 118
Posts: 720
Join Date: Jul 2012
Ive been on the newest and ive never had a reason to go back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
jparnell8839
Old
#7  
jparnell8839's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 361
Posts: 661
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tunnel Hill, GA

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by terpin32 View Post
Here ya go

http://d-h.st/qDY

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdad View Post
Just be warned...I don't think that you can revert back if you flash the 4.4.2 bootloader. You are stuck with it until something newer comes out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terpin32 View Post
Ive been on the newest and ive never had a reason to go back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I'm pretty much an avid CM'er. That's one requirement I make to buying a phone, unless I buy at launch (which doesn't happen very often). Does it have official CM support. But I do appreciate the heads up.
Dont forget to click if I helped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanogen View Post
I mean this with the utmost respect: go eat a bowl of dicks.
 
terpin32
Old
#8  
terpin32's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 118
Posts: 720
Join Date: Jul 2012
I switch from cm nighlies and a de-odexed tw rom but both work without any problems cm just doesn't have the features I like with tw that I miss from time to time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
jparnell8839
Old
#9  
jparnell8839's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 361
Posts: 661
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tunnel Hill, GA

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by terpin32 View Post
I switch from cm nighlies and a de-odexed tw rom but both work without any problems cm just doesn't have the features I like with tw that I miss from time to time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I get that. I played with stock deodexed for a while just to play with the spen features, but I can't stand the default apps on TW (dialer, messages, exchange email, etc)
Dont forget to click if I helped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanogen View Post
I mean this with the utmost respect: go eat a bowl of dicks.
 
terpin32
Old
#10  
terpin32's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 118
Posts: 720
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnell8839 View Post
I get that. I played with stock deodexed for a while just to play with the spen features, but I can't stand the default apps on TW (dialer, messages, exchange email, etc)
Try this rom it has no bloat its got like 10 apps that boot its like having cm like smoothness

This is the post

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2803363

This is the rom im running

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358557170

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Tags
4.4.4, bootloader, charging problem while the device is off, kernel
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes