Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,517 Members 37,397 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need Help Unbricking Galaxy Note 2 SGH-I317

Tip us?
 
SBM_from_LA
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Jul 2014
Question [Q] Need Help Unbricking Galaxy Note 2 SGH-I317

I ran into a problem when I tried to root my phone. I had experience rooting before with a Samsung tablet so I was surprised with this problem.

Phone Info:

AT&T Galaxy Note 2 SGH-I317 OTA updated to Android 4.4 before attempting the root


Things didn't go as planned and got hung up during rooting process... Now the phone is stuck with the message about Firmware update
interrupted. I'm not entirely sure how to proceed next and I was hoping to receive some advice from other users who are more experienced
in this area.

I remember reading somewhere that once a device has KitKat 4.4 installed.. you can't use a previous version to restore or something like that.

I hope to have someone respond back to me soon... and please, if you could, give me detailed/step-by-step instructions or advice so I can understand what you mean.. since I'm not an expert in this particular area.

Remember, before the soft-bricking, my phone was running Android 4.4 that was recently installed by AT&T.... so I need a method what works with that.

Yes, I am still able to get into Download Mode...
 
terpin32
Old
#2  
terpin32's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 119
Posts: 745
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBM_from_LA View Post
I ran into a problem when I tried to root my phone. I had experience rooting before with a Samsung tablet so I was surprised with this problem.

Phone Info:

AT&T Galaxy Note 2 SGH-I317 OTA updated to Android 4.4 before attempting the root


Things didn't go as planned and got hung up during rooting process... Now the phone is stuck with the message about Firmware update
interrupted. I'm not entirely sure how to proceed next and I was hoping to receive some advice from other users who are more experienced
in this area.

I remember reading somewhere that once a device has KitKat 4.4 installed.. you can't use a previous version to restore or something like that.

I hope to have someone respond back to me soon... and please, if you could, give me detailed/step-by-step instructions or advice so I can understand what you mean.. since I'm not an expert in this particular area.

Remember, before the soft-bricking, my phone was running Android 4.4 that was recently installed by AT&T.... so I need a method what works with that.

Yes, I am still able to get into Download Mode...
Try this method to get you back up and running

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2618447

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
SBM_from_LA
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Jul 2014
Default Thanks for the quick reply

Thanks for the recommendation... However, I did come across that posting but it didn't seem to apply to my particular problem.. I'm not running 4.3, but Android 4.4 on my phone... One thing I'm not sure about is... I tried flashing the original 4.1.2 to my phone (followed instructions from another site on resolving soft bricks) and that process failed... I'm not sure if I need to completely start all over with my phone or if 4.4 is still installed...




Quote:
Originally Posted by terpin32 View Post
Try this method to get you back up and running

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2618447

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
terpin32
Old
#4  
terpin32's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 119
Posts: 745
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBM_from_LA View Post
Thanks for the recommendation... However, I did come across that posting but it didn't seem to apply to my particular problem.. I'm not running 4.3, but Android 4.4 on my phone... One thing I'm not sure about is... I tried flashing the original 4.1.2 to my phone (followed instructions from another site on resolving soft bricks) and that process failed... I'm not sure if I need to completely start all over with my phone or if 4.4 is still installed...
You cant flash 4.1.2 you have to go to 4.1.1 first then go to 4.1.2 idk y just how it is

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

That link is just a way to get the phone back working mine did that after doing an update and the only thing i could do is download mode and i did that and it got me back up and running

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
SBM_from_LA
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Jul 2014
Talking Phone Is Working Now

I just wanted to thank you for the information you supplied to me. I followed the instructions exactly... after it PASSED in Odin, it did do the hang at the Samsung logo... and I was able to get back into Recovery Mode and do the Factory Reset and Reboot. I'm glad I came here.. I learned something new..

Once again... thank you
 
terpin32
Old
#6  
terpin32's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 119
Posts: 745
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBM_from_LA View Post
I just wanted to thank you for the information you supplied to me. I followed the instructions exactly... after it PASSED in Odin, it did do the hang at the Samsung logo... and I was able to get back into Recovery Mode and do the Factory Reset and Reboot. I'm glad I came here.. I learned something new..

Once again... thank you
Np man anytime

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to terpin32 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes