OP KillerX1911

12th July 2014, 06:41 AM   |  #21  
Flag B.F.E.
Thanks Meter: 3,605

4,304 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepyncrawly

Disclaimer: I am completely unfamiliar with the Note II. I know the Galaxy S II best.

Which version of Windows are you using?

You probably do not have a driver issue. In the Windows "Uninstall or Change a program" dialog (windows 7), you should see "Samsung USB Driver for Mobile Phones." If you have that, then you have the correct driver. Never the less, you might try uninstalling the driver on your pc, rebooting and then reinstalling the driver. You can get the driver from this thread, or you can download it directly from the Samsung website.

Also, you should not have Kies running when using Odin. You don't have to uninstall it, but it should not be running, and you should kill any Kies processes that are running, if any. Or, just reboot the PC and don't open Kies.

You are connecting with Odin. Odin recognizes the phone. So probably, the issue is one of: the connection between the phone and the PC or a firmware issue on the phone itself. The error message you posted suggests that you might need to flash the firmware with a pit file. However, if it were me, I would exhaust all the troubleshooting steps involving a connection problem first, before flashing with a pit file.

Connection problem: Use a USB port connected to the motherboard. Use different USB cables. Use different USB ports. Even use a different PC. Also, try the flash more than once. Some have reported that after multiple tries, they were able to get a successful flash.

Edit: Just ran across this while doing some reading. Your phone is the 317M I think, so you'll have to pm Zen Arcade for the correct PIT. This is just in case you need it.

By the way, helping folks get their phone working under difficult circumstances is what I like doing best. I'll keep an eye on this thread, but I usually only get on the forum once or twice a day.

Well written creepy. ...
Glad to have you working these threads...
Thank you. ..g

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to gregsarg For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th July 2014, 07:07 PM   |  #22  
Recognized Contributor
Haddonfield, IL
Thanks Meter: 3,273

1,265 posts
Donate to Me
Original symptoms point to possible emmc failure, but since the phone is off warranty no harm in trying a few things.

Information so far:

1 - phone stuck at boot screen unexpectedly with no triggering change event noted (i.e. new app installed, or change to OS, etc)
2 - Power+Home+VolUp sends you to "failsafe" download mode, rather than recovery
3 - in Odin, status screen reports no pit partition

#1 alone given the timing, might suggest a botched OTA to 4.4.2. Adding in #2 and #3 tends to support the emmc failure scenario, however.

The i317m pit file is availble at this thread.

You can try flashing it along with a custom recovery like twrp or philz cwm. I recommend this approach first rather than a full stock firmware - faster and will get you at least a working recovery for futher testing, error reporting and ability to wipe.

I typically use Odin 3.07 so if you use 3.09 you'll need to adapt these instructions a bit:

1 - put the pit file in the pit section
2 - check the "re-partition" box
3 - put the recovery tar or tar.md5 file in the PDA section (do not put a zip file here).
4 - click start.
5 - copy the contents of the message /status section back here when done.

Hopefully it works and you can use the power+home+VolUp combo from a powered off state to boot the phone into recovery.

If this result doesn't happen, you can try again flashing a param.bin + tz.img package, but we'll need to track down one specific to the i317m and the version of Android that was running on the phone before the problem started. (A bit of a long shot, but I've seen it work in the past).

Assuming no reconfig attempt brings it back, the hardware options are:

A - logic board ($175) or emmc chip ($150) replacement
B - phone replacement ($200 to $250), or less if you go with a different phone

(For option A I looked at mobiletechvideos.com pricing)
The Following User Says Thank You to Zen Arcade For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th July 2014, 08:12 PM   |  #23  
OP Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 1

42 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade

Original symptoms point to possible emmc failure, but since the phone is off warranty no harm in trying a few things.

Information so far:

Ok so I hooked did PIT and CWM6 and when I tried to flash it just stays at this forever:

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> cwm6-recovery-i317.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/003> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..

And it gets stuck there...left it there for 10+ mins...nothing
19th July 2014, 09:02 PM   |  #24  
Recognized Contributor
Haddonfield, IL
Thanks Meter: 3,273

1,265 posts
Donate to Me
Not encouraging. Do you know which version of android is currently installed on the phone? With that I'll look for the files for the next attempt... Long shot though it may be.

21st July 2014, 01:55 AM   |  #25  
OP Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 1

42 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade

Not encouraging. Do you know which version of android is currently installed on the phone? With that I'll look for the files for the next attempt... Long shot though it may be.

He told me he doesn't know but it was before the newest update they came out with (its been about 2 months or more since its been like this)

Hmmm this is not looking very promising

What do you think my next steps are for this thing
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread