[Q&A] [SGH-I317/M] CF-Auto-Root

Search This thread
Q

QA Bot

Q&A for [SGH-I317/M] CF-Auto-Root

Some developers prefer that questions remain separate from their main development thread to help keep things organized. Placing your question within this thread will increase its chances of being answered by a member of the community or by the developer. Thanks for understanding and for helping to keep XDA neat and tidy! :smile:

note2root

Oct 16, 2014
sgh-i317m root

I used the chainfire root zip with odin to root my note 2 canadian version sgh-i317m i wanna install a custom rom have downloaded one but not flashed it i was wondering how i can tell if my bootloader us unlocked dont wanna brick my device i have tried to look up on google and looked in playstore to see if there is an app to tell me wether its unlocked or not can anyone help me give mr a straight answer instead of the run around will the chainfire zip also unlock the bootloader or no and how can i tell ig it is unlocked

terpin32

Jul 30, 2012
I used the chainfire root zip with odin to root my note 2 canadian version sgh-i317m i wanna install a custom rom have downloaded one but not flashed it i was wondering how i can tell if my bootloader us unlocked dont wanna brick my device i have tried to look up on google and looked in playstore to see if there is an app to tell me wether its unlocked or not can anyone help me give mr a straight answer instead of the run around will the chainfire zip also unlock the bootloader or no and how can i tell ig it is unlocked

The note to is an basically unlocked just root using cf then flash a recovery in odin like you would to root the phone and you'll be fine if your wanting to try like a cyanogenmod rom you can go to they're website and it will show you step by step

note2root

Oct 16, 2014
The note to is an basically unlocked just root using cf then flash a recovery in odin like you would to root the phone and you'll be fine if your wanting to try like a cyanogenmod rom you can go to they're website and it will show you step by step[/
QUOTE]

Can i flash the rom from the device itself with the stock recovery
Forgot to mention im running 4.4.2 and my knox counter is 1 whatever that means

terpin32

Jul 30, 2012
No you can't with stock recovery if you go get goo manager from the play store and hit the menu button hit the install open recovery script that will flash trwp for you really easy

Attachments

• 1413461214842.jpg
    1413461214842.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 186

piratius

Oct 28, 2014
Success for Rooting Stock 4.4.2

Hey all!

Just wanted to post some updates/issues I had while trying to do the CF Autoroot/SuperSU, and what I did to make it work. I was running a bone-stock SGH-I317 with the Samsung OTA 4.4.2 Update, and getting everything to work properly was driving me nuts. Countless Google searches and XDA searches/browsing was not fruitful, unfortunately. Luckily, this isn't my first excursion into modifying Samsung/Android phones, or I would've given up in frustration a few days ago. I've rooted/modded my Captivate and my GSII, so I knew it was just something stupid somewhere that I had to fix.

I flashed the CF Autoroot with Odin, and it took with no problems. It would boot to the CF recovery (red android), do the root thing, and then reboot the phone, but every boot would generate "SuperSU has stopped" at the home screen. I tried using the SU-Update file trick, but when I did, it would report that the app was not installed. Also, flashing CWM/TWRP and attempting to boot into recovery was causing a really weird effect - the "Galaxy Note 2" splash screen was tearing and flickering sideways like the horizontal refresh was out of sync, or it would just hang at the Galaxy Note 2 Splash. Same effect if I unchecked the automatic reboot option in Odin and attempted manually. Either way, pulling the battery and restarting regularly would let it boot normally, but SuperSU was still crashing at boot.

Finally, I went in with ESFile Explorer, and found the original superSU.apk in \system\app . For whatever reason, the CF-autoroot was NOT installing the .apk automatically like it's supposed to! After going through and installing the original, followed by the update, it stopped crashing and let me have root access for stuff like TiBu and ROM Manager (which I just use to reboot into recovery, since it's easier than shutting down, then restarting with the button combo).

Then, once SuperSU was running and happy, it was time to get recovery working. Flashing philz recovery with automatic reboot was still resulting in a garbled recovery after shutting down - apparently due to the firmware/Samsung crap automatically recovering the stock recovery. Flashing philz CWM, then powering down the phone and manually booting into recovery (after fixing the SuperSU issue) finally let it get into recovery proper.

Once you've got root and recovery, the rest as they say, is history. Hoping this helps anyone else fighting Samsung's stock 4.4.2!

Last edited:

Eric R

Nov 2, 2014
This worked for me

Thanks, the original method from chainfire and your update# 3 worked perfectly for me. Only difference from your update #3 is I went straight to play store and updated supersu from there, then ran it, had it download the binaries in "normal" method. Then ran it, told it to kill Knox as you said, it hung for a loooooong time, so rebooted phone, relaunched supersu and killed knox again this time it killed it no problem. I was on sgh-i747 ATT stock 4.4.2

scytzoh

Apr 3, 2014
nothing is working for me

i have the sgh-i317m and have rooted it useing the chainfire thing. used the root checker its good but i have used several methods and versions ect to get a recovery onto my device to no avail. through odin with .tar md5 files. .zip files through the stock recovery. they all say they were succesful but it never stays i go into recovery right after and its just the stock recoveryback again. ive also tried the apps at the playstore to boot to recovery and they install it for you like the clockwork rommanager same thing.
i just tried open recovery-twrp2.6.0.0-toltecan.zip and got a message .......E:footer is wrong (twice) then E:signature verification failed....but then it say installation from sd was a sucsess reboots but then same thing...
i tried the suggestion above about the goo app i dont know what version the person above was talking about but i finnally found the way to install open recovery but when selected it says unable to find recovery for your device check back later..im lost i dont know what im doing wrong? im lost

jackson franzua

Dec 12, 2014
Genial!

Me funciono perfecto a pesar de que debes decir que después de haber terminado con el proceso deben ir a playstore y descargar supersu siempre y cuando no se haya instalado automáticamente.