Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] running kitkat 4.4.3 CM11, but no tap to pay on google wallet?

OP pcrussell50

4th July 2014, 01:11 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
santa barbara, ca
Thanks Meter: 12

105 posts
More
i thought google was allowing google wallet "tap and pay" on all NFC-enabled devices running kitkat. well, my note 2 (at&t of course), is rooted, running CM11 kitkat, with google wallet installed, and i can't seem to find any evidence at all that "tap and pay" available anywhere in the google wallet app.

little help?

-peter
Last edited by pcrussell50; 4th July 2014 at 01:15 AM.
4th July 2014, 06:48 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 11

77 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcrussell50

i thought google was allowing google wallet "tap and pay" on all NFC-enabled devices running kitkat. well, my note 2 (at&t of course), is rooted, running CM11 kitkat, with google wallet installed, and i can't seem to find any evidence at all that "tap and pay" available anywhere in the google wallet app.

little help?

-peter

It works on ota 4.4.2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
4th July 2014, 08:04 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
santa barbara, ca

105 posts
More
just flashed 4.4.4 (liquid smooth) to my sgh-i317 and? nada... no tap and pay for google wallet. anyone know how to get this working?

-peter
6th July 2014, 03:41 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
santa barbara, ca

105 posts
More
I'm a bit stunned that xda developers has so little knowledge about this...

So now I unrooted and went back to total stock, with at&t's latest 4.4.2. And tap and pay is up and working.

Back to my question...

I thought tap and pay was supposed to work with all kit Kat phones. Yet it doesn't seem to work with aosp kit kat roms, (at least the ones I've tried). Is that right?

-Peter
6th July 2014, 04:57 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Haddonfield, IL
Thanks Meter: 3,325

1,285 posts
Donate to Me
1. Do these roms have an option in settings or notify bar to turn NFC on? Does the NFC icon then show up on the status bar?

2. Have you installed Google Wallet app from Play store and configured to enable tap & pay?

If you answered yes to all questions and tap & pay still doesn't work, check out this guide:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2448712

It's for 4.3 but there may be some things in there to try .... ymmv

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
6th July 2014, 07:24 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
santa barbara, ca

105 posts
More
Your questions in order:
1) CM11 had a "turn on tap and pay", setting. It did nothing. I frankly forgot to check of Liquid Smooth had it. It was a VERY nice 4.4.4 AOSP rom. For sure, Google Wallet tap and pay was not only not working, it was not even available. There was no NFC logo that appeared.

2) yes, I've only ever installed GW from the play store. And what I finally found out when I got tap and pay working on the stock unrooted att 4.4.2 rom was that Google wallet did not even offer the option to set up tap and pay in the 4.4.4 aosp roms. In fact, it was not even showing as grayed out. It was not even mentioned at all. If you were not a savvy smart phone type, you'd never even know gw ever offered tap amd pay or that such a thing even existed. But now with this new stock rom, it just shows up in gw and was easy peasy to configure.

Thanks for pitching in. It has partly renewed my faith in xda. Googljng outside xda I have seen slivers of evidence that aosp roms need patches to do hce, or at least the 4.3 ones do.

-Peter
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread