Unable to Format /data

Search This thread

xsnes

Jul 8, 2014
Hi all, this is my first post here. Unfortunately it is an issue, but I have been flashing roms for a while now.

So last night after flashing Ditto Note for my note 2 on att, I decided I didn't like it and wanted to revert back to my previous rom. However, when I am trying to format data in recovery it just hangs. I have tried both on CWM and TWRP... twrp says: "error too many open files"

And obviously this issue has caused many other issues for me such as being unable to flash anything else as anything else will just get stuck on the bootscreen.

I remember somewhere that there is a flashable zip that will specifically format everything for you, but I dont remember what this was called.

But any help would be great

Flashed stock 4.3 via Odin and it still doesn't boot past samsung screen

Last edited:

terpin32

Jul 30, 2012
Hi all, this is my first post here. Unfortunately it is an issue, but I have been flashing roms for a while now.

So last night after flashing Ditto Note for my note 2 on att, I decided I didn't like it and wanted to revert back to my previous rom. However, when I am trying to format data in recovery it just hangs. I have tried both on CWM and TWRP... twrp says: "error too many open files"

And obviously this issue has caused many other issues for me such as being unable to flash anything else as anything else will just get stuck on the bootscreen.

I remember somewhere that there is a flashable zip that will specifically format everything for you, but I dont remember what this was called.

But any help would be great

Flashed stock 4.3 via Odin and it still doesn't boot past samsung screen

Did you make a backup or anything you can try to just do to maybe fix the bad files that didn't wanna delete

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

xsnes

Jul 8, 2014
Yes I have tried doing a restore.
IN specifics this is the exact log I am getting from as soon as i start it up TWRP:

E:error opening '/data/data/com.google.android.marvin.talkback////////////////
//////////////////////
////////////////////
////////////////////
//////////////////
//////////////////
////////////////
//////////////////
////////
////
//
//

/
E: error: Too many open files

I tried deleting this folder from twrp file manager and the phone just reboots

terpin32

Jul 30, 2012
In twrp try just deleting just that file maybe if you haven't already

xsnes

Jul 8, 2014
I've tried TWRP and Aroma file manager now. Aroma file manager detected over 998 files in that folder until it froze... I've also tried moving the folder into my external SD card in which case there also happens to be 335 files until it froze as well.

How does a rom manage to install thousands of blank folders??

terpin32

Jul 30, 2012
Are you able to flash a rom or you stuck at the recovery?

xsnes

Jul 8, 2014
Are you able to flash a rom or you stuck at the recovery?

Yes. I have flashed and booted into a Rom a couple times while having this 'data wipe' issue. However i feel like it is the luck of the draw because sometimes it boots, other times it hangs at the samsung screen lol

Should I go ahead and try to install a rom?

Last edited:

xsnes

Jul 8, 2014
Can I just go through the data folder with file explorer and delete everything else there?

OR is there another super wipe style zip that I don't know about ?

Last edited:

terpin32

Jul 30, 2012
It probably won't let you

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

xsnes

Jul 8, 2014
solved

Issue has been solved. Wiped phone with a script? (i think) from a flashable zip contained from ANDROID HD rom for the note 2

for those that might need it: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2040941 (3rd post down)

This script does not use AROMA which has crashed for me everytime I tried to wipe with it. Really useful

Now currently running aosp rom cause I hate the new TW in 4.3 and 4.4 lol