Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,340 Members 43,529 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

** note 2 - n7100 - bootloader guide **

Tip us?

deviluper
Old
(Last edited by deviluper; 12th May 2014 at 09:04 AM.) Reason: !
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71

DONATE TO ME
Info 2 ** note 2 - n7100 - bootloader guide **

Introduction to the thread
I have the intt. note 2 - n7100 and i had not updated it for a very long time due to laziness of mine and i was still with the stock 4.1.2 stock, rooted , twrp and superSU installed. I recently decided to update my phone to either 4.3/4.4.2 , so i researched a bit and came to know about the bootloader confusion among several note 2 users. i also found out all the information was scattered and consumed a lot of time to grasp all the information . So i decided to make this thread to help other user and save their time.

What is a bootlader?
It is the first piece of code that is excuted and it boots the O.S into the ram.

How to identify ur bootloader version?
One can find bootloader version with this "INFO APP" https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.app.info , u will find it under the "OPERATING SYSTEM" option.

How does samsung no the bootloader version?
They are named alphabetically . So nd3 is the newest followed by mj 5 and oldest being the lk6 . Also this is only a random order there are many in between version which have been released , but i am giving a general view

NOW COMES THE IMPORATANT STUFF

There are two types of bootloader for note 2
1-Non-knoxed bootlader- these are bootlader earlier to version mj5 including the mj5 version
2 -Knoxed bootlader- these are the one released after mj5
]

what is knox all about?
It is according to samsung the "latest security feature which protect ur device. basically a normal user should only know that it to keep check on those who modify their device .
the knox has a number counter which gets from default 0*0 to 0*1 if any ony tries to modify their device by either rooting or flashing custom stuff like rom or any custom recovery.

FOR USER UNDER WARRANTY/ OR WHO CARE FOR WARRANTY - should see that they do not upgrade to newer than mj5 otherwise they will have a knoxed bootlader and it will increse the counter if u try to modify it and so ur warranty will be void.

a)Recommended for Touchwis based
- 4.1.2 - whatever stock b.l version u are having is fine
4.3.x - mj5 (to avoid wifi issues plz flash mj5 anything lower than that will cause wifi issues)
4.4.x - mj5 (but u wont be able to charge ur phone will its swithched off){if u want to charge ur phone while its switched off u . have to flash latest nd3 b.l but that will void ur warranty}
b)Recommended for AOKP, CM ,PACMAN , paranoid ..........
4.1.2 , 4.3.x ,4.4.x - mj5 will work with all rom of all verion

FOR USER WHOSE WARRANTY PERIOD IS OVER / OR WHO DO NOT CARE FOR WARRANTY - u can flash any bootloader upto the latest which being the nd3 one.

a)Recommended for touchwis based
- 4.1.2 - whatever stock b.l version u are having is fine
4.3.x - mj5 (to avoid wifi issues plz flash mj5 anything lower than that will cause wifi issues)
4.4.x - nd3(if u upgrade to nd3 u wont be able to downgrade to 4.1.2 rom , but u can still install 4.3 based rom)
b)Recommended for AOKP, CM ,PACMAN, paranoid ..........
4.1.2 , 4.3.x ,4.4.x - mj5 will work with all rom of all version

Rcommended recovery - twrp/philz
Always update ur recovery to latest to avoid any issues

plz read all information above carefully i am not in anyway responsible for any damage to ur device. try at ur own risk.

press that thanks button if i helped u with this guide
The Following 51 Users Say Thank You to deviluper For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

deviluper
Old
(Last edited by deviluper; 11th May 2014 at 04:22 PM.) Reason: modification in post
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up Useful links

Useful links-
1- mj5 bootldoader -
http://d-h.st/Wvp

2- How to flash bootlader
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=741

3-Latest nd3 bootlader
http://d-h.st/TQq

press that thanks button if i helped u finding the links
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to deviluper For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

victorharsh
Old
Thanks Meter 106
Info 2 Suggestion

Nice thread....

You can also add each bootloader in detailed manner like its

PROS and CONS...

Issues....

Why you use...this and that?

any ways...thanks
Device:

1.LG Optimus 2X New BootLoader
2.Note II (GT-N7100) (Playing with different ROMs (Thanks to all Note 2-Custom ROM Developers))

Quote:
By profession,i am a manual tester

deviluper
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71

DONATE TO ME
Lightbulb reserved

reserved!
The Following User Says Thank You to deviluper For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dreamertr
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Thank you for that enlightning work. It helps me very much to realize what the whole stuff and the logic of bootloader means. Thanx again...

Sent from my SM-N9000Q using Tapatalk

dalanik
Old
Thanks Meter 196
Nice guide for noobs. Or a simple version: Just flash the MJ5

flaviofire
Old
Thanks Meter 0
thank you

deviluper
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71

DONATE TO ME
Post Make things simple but not simpler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalanik View Post
Nice guide for noobs. Or a simple version: Just flash the MJ5
No not in all cases mj5 fits ,bcoz if one's
  • warranty-already-void OR/ dosent-care-for-warranty
    and
  • is willing to flash android 4.4.2
must go with the nd3 bootloader b,coz it being the latest and greatest and will not have any issues of charging while switched off.

In every other case the mj5 fits

singhpratik87
Old
Thanks Meter 1,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by deviluper View Post
Just go to settings>device info and look for build no. the last 2 alphabet and the followed no. tells u about the bootloader version. it could be lk6 or mj5 or nd3 or any thing else.
That's not the right info,one cannot know what bootloader they are on from about device menu.The build # you mentioned is the Firmware of the OS they are on.For bootloader info one needs to download phone info app samsung from playstore and in there one can check their bootloader version under "bootloader".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to singhpratik87 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

McLaren__F1
Old
(Last edited by McLaren__F1; 12th May 2014 at 05:21 AM.)
Thanks Meter 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by deviluper View Post
Just go to settings>device info and look for build no. the last 2 alphabet and the followed no. tells u about the bootloader version. it could be lk6 or mj5 or nd3 or any thing else.
This information is wrong?

the last 2 numbers of the build number is not the bootloader.

Im on MJ5 bootloader and the build number is "ND3".

edit: looks like singhpratik87 beat me to it

Samsung Galaxy Note II GT-N7100
SanDisk Ultra UHS-I 32GB

The Following User Says Thank You to McLaren__F1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]