[Q] PCB solder bridge jumpers

OP LethalCorpse

27th July 2014, 07:06 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Parramatta
Thanks Meter: 0

32 posts
More
So last week I ****ed up. My house is a terrible black hole for AT&T, and I got tempted by the R1 Antenna socket on the back of my GT-N7105T. I cut a bit of wire to quarter wavelength for 1900MHz, and stuck it in there. I got 4 bars, but couldn't get data any more, presumably because my crappy antenna had terrible VSWR. As others have discovered, that's a switching socket that disconnects your internal antenna, and if you stick a piece of wire far enough in, you break the connection permanently.

So, I pulled it apart, removed the offending socket and bridged the link to make a permanent connection to my internal antenna. I'm back where I started signal-wise, but it's better than not having a phone.

While I was in there I noticed three tiny (0402 size) solder bridge jumpers on the main PCB marked H, E and A. On my device, the A jumper is shorted. Now this is a long shot, but it gives me a theory. My phone was bought in Australia, but last year I moved to Boston. The quad-band frequencies of the Australian GT-N7105T line up just fine with AT&T for phone and 3G/HSPA services, but the LTE service here is on a different band, and I've been living without LTE. Is it possible that the A stands for Australia, E for Europe and H (somehow) for nortH america? Could it be that those jumpers select frequency on the radio, rather than having a different radio module for each region? It makes sense from a design POV - I'm a hardware engineer, and if I could do it that way rather than having totally separate BOMs and SKUs, I would.

TLDR: Can I turn my Australian Note II into an American one by changing a solder bridge?
31st July 2014, 05:02 AM   |  #2  
OP Member
Flag Parramatta
Thanks Meter: 0

32 posts
More
Bump? Wrong forum?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread