Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,547 Members 45,934 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 Downgrade from 4.4.2 back to 4.1.2

Tip us?

terrord8158
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 Downgrade from 4.4.2 back to 4.1.2

Greetings XDA Saviors,

Would you please save the a#* of a noob getting his Note 2 GT-N7100 back from Android KK 4.4.2 (N7100XXUFND3) to Android JB 4.1.2? Is it possible? if not any yet, did you make any sort of progress, workaround?

Now into the details:

I am indeed a noob but I can safely say that I master the basics of flashing a firmware through Odin and then flash the root (Wow, I am impressed! ).

So, this is what i did so far:

- I was enjoying life with my Note 2 Android JB 4.1.2 then I was tempted by the Marketing Assault to which I was exposed about updating to Android KK 4.4.2: more reliable, more stable, bug-free, better design, smarter system, and more eye-candy BS...

- Downloaded the Android KK 4.4.2 N7100XXUFND3 from Sammobile.com

- I plugged my GT-N7100 into Odin 3.07 in Download Mode (of course, Safety off: USB Debugging Mode - On);

- Loaded the N7100XXUFND3_N7100OXAFND3_N7100XXUFND3_HOME.tar.md 5 file into PDA slot, Checklist: Auto-Reboot + F. Reset Time

- FIRE!

- Process completed successfully, phone restarts and boot up NO PROBLEM SO FAR! Welcome to the new ERA of KK 4.4.2 (Oh Thank you Samsung!)

Since, I am someone who enjoys the LIBERTY OF OWNED PROPERTIES AND PERSONAL BELONGINGS

Now ROOT TIME!

- Reboot in Recovery mode Wipe Cache/Dalvik's. (Yup.. cleaning for the new KK Era)

- Put my GT-N7100 back into Odin 3.07 in Download Mode, Safety off - USB Debugging Mode ON

- Loaded CF-Auto-Root-t03g-t03gxx-gtn7100.tar.md5 in PDA slot, checklist: Auto-Reboot + F. Reset Time

- FIRE!

- Process completed successfully; phone boots up NO PROBLEM! SuperSU crash? No big deal: update to 1.94 PROBLEM SOLVED

- SuperSU asks to disable KNOX: "What is this KNOX thing anyway? looks like an antivirus or something. Ok, no problem..." - (KNOX: You GT-N7100 owner, you aint seen nothing yet.. Just YOU WAIT! I'LL F#[@ YOUR PHONE UP!)

- Logged in to my G and S accounts, adjust some basic settings: display, ringtone, APP UPDATES! the usual BS... Then, installed back my beloved Apps...

After like 4 - 5 days, I clearly noticed that MY N7100 became a slow-mover with a weak battery; app crashes; hangs/freezes. Really it's like a GT-I9300 Galaxy S3 of those old BAD days (meant no disrespect S3 owners was a great phone BEFORE OS UPDATE!).

I mean for MINOR changes in term of OS capabilities, there was a MAJOR trade-off in term of Battery/CPU/GPU. Hell NO! I know my around business and that was a RAW DEAL!

I thought: Oh no problem! I miss my old environment anyway I just loved it. Back to the origins! Time to take over the trade back again!

- Plugged my GT-N7100 back into Odin 3.07 in Download Mode; Safety's Off: USB Debugging Mode ON

- Loaded Android JB 4.1.2 N7100XXDME6_N7100OXXDME2_N7100XXDME4_HOME.tar.md5 into PDA Slot; Checklist: Auto-Reboot + F. Reset Time

- FIRE!

- FAIL! wait what? must be something not set correctly..

- Closed Odin, restarted GT-N7100, checked USB DEBUG, redownloaded N7100XXDME6_N7100OXXDME2_N7100XXDME4_HOME.tar.md5 from Sammobile.com and extract.

- Plugged my GT-N7100 back into Odin 3.07 in Download Mode; Safety's Off: USB Debugging Mode ON

- Loaded the redownloaded Android JB 4.1.2 N7100XXDME6_N7100OXXDME2_N7100XXDME4_HOME.tar.md5 into PDA Slot; Checklist: Auto-Reboot + F. Reset Time

NOW WAIT what is this thing on GT-N7100 Download Mode Display: KNOX VOID: 0X1 hum I never seen this before!! must be some BS that comes with Android KK doesnt look bad anyway

- OK, FIRE THE DOWNGRADE ANYWAY, Execute!

- FAIL!

No that's not normal: Open browser google: N7100 downgrade from 4.4.2 then knox void 0x1

RESULTS: I voided my GT-N7100 Warranty + No way you can download the ND3 bootmoader until Now! In other words, forget about going back to 4.1.2! (KNOX: "HAHAHAHAHA, now this is what I am talking about I knoxed the s#@\` out of that GT-N7100 Owner!!!!")

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOO!!!?!!!

wrena
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Samsung Knox has been in effect since 4.3. It locks up your phone so you can't downgrade to earlier stable versions. The downgrade protection bit is stored in the internal memory where a Jtag device might be able to access and modify it, but you'll be looking at spending some time and money to find the right device and figure out how it's done.

ayenzel
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Its sad that we can't downgrade once we have upgraded the boot loader. In my opinion, the best version of android by Samsung is 4.1.2 . No problem at all and stable. But since 4.3 I've faced many problem and my WiFi also broken up until now can't be fixed even I update to KitKat .

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

"DONT WALK, RUN!"

XSLdesire
Old
Thanks Meter 0
thanx

pchaokiat
Old
Thanks Meter 5
If you're on KitKat bootloader, then root & flash 4.1.2 with Mobile odin. You'll get 4.1.2 running on KitKat bootloader.
The Following User Says Thank You to pchaokiat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sms2000
Old
Thanks Meter 105
Default KNOX 1->0 apparently possible with a special hardware

There is forum for GSM gurus where you can obtain a special JTAG hardware and software which as far as I understood allows restoring the original state of internal memories for Note 2, 3 and some other devices.
About $400...

It's 100% proven that Samsung repair stores may drop KNOX flag without changing the motherboard,

What would be really helpful is to patch the Boot Loader so it omits the KNOX flag totally believing it's always 0.
The latest CPUTableau application is here:
https://github.com/sms2000/CPUTablea...CPUTableau.apk

Watch your CPU temperature and cores in the real time when gaming or watching movies.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sms2000 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

terrord8158
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchaokiat View Post
If you're on KitKat bootloader, then root & flash 4.1.2 with Mobile odin. You'll get 4.1.2 running on KitKat bootloader.
4.1.2 on 4.4.2 bl: can the phone charge the battery when it is off?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

YogiCrusher
Old
(Last edited by YogiCrusher; 22nd June 2014 at 12:54 PM.) Reason: edit
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sms2000 View Post
There is forum for GSM gurus where you can obtain a special JTAG hardware and software which as far as I understood allows restoring the original state of internal memories for Note 2, 3 and some other devices.
About $400...
yeah I have seen some guys posting about this on electronics forum in PL, apparently possible only with eMMC flasher...not sure what they used exactly (gpg? if so its rather 175$, not 400$), have to revisit and check details.

Quote:
It's 100% proven that Samsung repair stores may drop KNOX flag without changing the motherboard,
oh, that's interesting...any links?

Quote:
What would be really helpful is to patch the Boot Loader so it omits the KNOX flag totally believing it's always 0
naah, here it would have to be done differently, patch would have to kill the call to blow efuse, so for any conditions where knox gets triggered it would be doing nothing.

interesting info overall, thanks!

sms2000
Old
Thanks Meter 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCrusher View Post
its rather 175$, not 400$
They said the JTAG device costs about $340 and you need different modules for different devices. About $34 more for S3/Note2.
They also sell some chemical solutions to uncover the JTAG points, to cover it back with some goo etc.
I rounded it to $400...

Regarding possibility to drop KNOX.

People reported they sent the Note 2 with KNOX=0x1 for repair and received the same device (IMEI, MAC, serial) with 0x0,
As believed it's not a real eFuse. It's just some place in eMMC where we have no access. Only JTAG may write those places.
The latest CPUTableau application is here:
https://github.com/sms2000/CPUTablea...CPUTableau.apk

Watch your CPU temperature and cores in the real time when gaming or watching movies.

YogiCrusher
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sms2000 View Post
They said the JTAG device costs about $340 and you need different modules for different devices. About $34 more for S3/Note2.
They also sell some chemical solutions to uncover the JTAG points, to cover it back with some goo etc.
I rounded it to $400...

Regarding possibility to drop KNOX.

People reported they sent the Note 2 with KNOX=0x1 for repair and received the same device (IMEI, MAC, serial) with 0x0,
As believed it's not a real eFuse. It's just some place in eMMC where we have no access. Only JTAG may write those places.
Hey,

JTAG? on N7100?

anyway, lovely thread I just stumbled on...looks like n7100 owners will be reasonably happy:
http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f672...ox-s4-1775213/

[for N7100] "KNOX Warranty bit are stored inside of RPMB area in eMMC
Downgrade protection byte are stored in RPMB.
What this mean ? After replacing or WIPING eMMC and burning old bootloader on device with (KNOX Warranty: 0x01 ) You will get device with unknoxed boot and KNOX Warranty bit 0x0"

and it is emmc, so 100-200$ area seems...just to make sure: I am talking about N7100

Rgds,
/Y

The Following User Says Thank You to YogiCrusher For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]