Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,329 Members 39,301 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google Cardboard

Tip us?

SeenNotScene
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default Google Cardboard

I know it isn't compatible with my Note 3 due to size constraints, but I ordered one anyway - I think I have an S4 laying around somewhere. I'm wondering who has used it with their Note 3 and what their experience was.

ankur88
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenNotScene View Post
I know it isn't compatible with my Note 3 due to size constraints, but I ordered one anyway - I think I have an S4 laying around somewhere. I'm wondering who has used it with their Note 3 and what their experience was.
So what was your experience with this?
I'm wondering should i just buy one for my note 3 or make a bigger one,
The problem with bigger one is i don't know if the lens position and/or focal length need to be changed.

JimSmith94
Old
Thanks Meter 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur88 View Post
So what was your experience with this?
I'm wondering should i just buy one for my note 3 or make a bigger one,
The problem with bigger one is i don't know if the lens position and/or focal length need to be changed.
I'm kind of interested in this for my Note 3 too. Here's one for $8.99 if you want to try it: http://www.focalprice.com/MX0124X/Go...Dglass_MX0124X

nukeboyt
Old
Thanks Meter 2
My "unofficial" cardboard unit arrived today. I had to modify the front to accommodate the Note 3's extra width. It works ok, but the volume controls are constantly getting (accidentally) pushed when you hold your thumbs anywhere near where the phone is. Same can be said about the power button on the top.

The camera is completely covered by the cardboard itself, because the oval-shaped hole assumes a shorter phone.

I'm running Alliance Rom and the PhotoSphere app doesn't work (it FC's). Other than that, the only other comment I can make is that the phone gets pretty warm while it's running the VR stuff. Takes quite a bit of power, because the battery drops quickly too.

All in all, it is a fun little toy. I look forward to other applications being created. OBTW, a lot of the compatible apps from the play store, require a Bluetooth controller. to function. Lucily I have a Bluetooth mini keyboard that has a d-pad style controller. This combination works ok.
The Following User Says Thank You to nukeboyt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SladeZero
Old
Thanks Meter 24

DONATE TO ME
I think I will wait to try VR when I can Full Dive... the current versions just make me motion sick.

Posted here because I am interested in how it turns out for you guys.
~I'm not a flash-a-holic... I will never admit it.~

My Phones:
~Samsung Note 3: Stock 4.4.2 Made it Ra1n!
~Sony Xperia TL: Orange Stock 4.0.4 (Resurrected from Hard Brick, inactive)
~Samsung Captivate: AOKP ICS Milestone (retired again, third time)
~LG Shine: ~in Heaven~

My Phones:
~Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (7"): Stock 4.2.2 Rooted & Debloated

Kangal
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenNotScene View Post
Its weird that it doesn't fit.

Cause currently there's that (worst to best) that Android VR Headset dubbed "Gameface", followed by Samsung's attempts with Gear VR, then there's SONY's Project Morpheus and finally the "king" Oculus Rift.

Its weird because out of all those millions (billions?) of dollars spent in development, the Oculus Rift comes out on top... and that VR uses the NOTE 3's display.
Literally. They've cut out the N3's screen, and slapped it on goggles with a pair of lens.

I want to try out Cardboard but I'm worried the initial bad experience might deter me from VR experience for good (remember VirtualBoy?). I might hold out for O/R's consumer product.

We'll see in the future when it gets mainstream; I'd expect it to ship for ~$399 and use a SAMOLED+ screen of roughly 6inch size and 4K resolution.
(Following the OR development, they're converging towards the 6in size and want to get as high resolution as possible. 4K is possible, and will be cheap in the near future. 4K allows easier development for applications too. OLED is best, but too costly at the moment. SAMOLED+ panels seems to be the better in terms of refresh rates and battery life than IPS, despite costing a little more than IPS. IPS has better brightness too, but that's moot. Oculus Rift has always aimed at quality and affordability so I couldn't expect it cheaper than $249 and wouldn't expect it higher than $500. So $399 seems like a "sweet spot" for mass manufacturing. Unless Facebook ruins it).
Phase:
1) Nokia 5110 > 3315 > T610
2) LG U8360 + iPaq 2215 > O2 XDA II > iPaq rw6815 > Mitach Mio a702
3) N95 > HTC TyTN II > HTC TouchPro > iPhone 3G
4) DEXT > N900 > SGS > DZ + PlayBook
5) NOTE > NOTE 3

Classic Arsenal:
HTC Desire Z + GameGripper
Android 2.3.7 + MIUI DarkTheme + ItchyThumb

Current Arsenal:
Samsung NOTE 3, 4G, Black
vMOD, Apex, Kii, SwitchR
Matte Kickstand case, Glass Protector, Datel TurboFire2, Belkin Miracast
40GB's of Apps, PSX, N64, GBA, SNES, Sega Games

sireniankyle
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeboyt View Post
My "unofficial" cardboard unit arrived today. I had to modify the front to accommodate the Note 3's extra width. It works ok, but the volume controls are constantly getting (accidentally) pushed when you hold your thumbs anywhere near where the phone is. Same can be said about the power button on the top.

The camera is completely covered by the cardboard itself, because the oval-shaped hole assumes a shorter phone.

I'm running Alliance Rom and the PhotoSphere app doesn't work (it FC's). Other than that, the only other comment I can make is that the phone gets pretty warm while it's running the VR stuff. Takes quite a bit of power, because the battery drops quickly too.

All in all, it is a fun little toy. I look forward to other applications being created. OBTW, a lot of the compatible apps from the play store, require a Bluetooth controller. to function. Lucily I have a Bluetooth mini keyboard that has a d-pad style controller. This combination works ok.
So from what I understand, you can make it all work with relative ease. I may order this. I use an otterbox case, which adds to the bulk. Hopefully I don't have to buy a smaller phone just to enjoy VR.

ObscureNemesis
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Talking Unofficial Cardboard large

Ok, just noticed this on the UnofficialCardboard website

https://www.unofficialcardboard.com/...cut-kit-w-nfc/

Its seems they finally made one for larger phones. Not all the details are on the site yet(like what phones are compatible) but am very tempted to order one right away
The Following User Says Thank You to ObscureNemesis For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rlee008
Old
Thanks Meter 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureNemesis View Post

Its seems they finally made one for larger phones. Not all the details are on the site yet(like what phones are compatible) but am very tempted to order one right away
i ordered one of the large ones from unofficialcardboard. com yesterday. ill update once i receive it.

i purchased one of the VR kits from dodocase.com and i did fit my Note 3 in it but it produces blury, out of focus and ghosting images. i modded my case so that my power and volume buttons wouldn't be pressed during use by cutting slots on the flap for them. once i tried the VR headset with my brother's S5 i saw the difference... and it was a big difference! everything was perfectly focused and im hoping this bigger VR headset will provide the same with the Note 3
" Dee Dee Dee, Here's your sign!"

Current Device: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900T
Current ROM: Stock/ROOTED
Backup ROM: None
Kernel: Stock
Recovery: Stock B/L
Case(s): UAG Navigator (White) & UAG Outland (Orange) Highly recommended cases!
Watch: Samsung Gear 2 (Charcoal / Black) Rooted

stupifiery
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default ordered one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureNemesis View Post

So

I ordered the larger one for my note 3 which I keep in an otterbox I'll update with initial impressions