Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,276 Members 44,492 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google Cardboard

Tip us?

scottmcgee
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I ordered a DodoCase version and it arrived today. I wasn't sure how it would work with my Note 3, but it works pretty well. The screen is almost exactly the size of the opening and so gives more viewing screen than smaller phones would.

I made three minor modifications to it. One was a cutout on the top to allow me to access the power button. Another, similar cutout (this time I only cut three sides and secured it loosely with tape) to relieve the pressure on the volume button and allow me to change the volume. The third was a minor enlargement of the camera hole to allow the camera lens full access. All three cuts are about 1/4 inch deep and the width of the needed buttons/camera, very minor, and very effective.

I haven't had a LOT of time to play with it yet, but it works very well. I look forward to comparing it to my wife's S5 when she gets home.

Oh, I had some double sided velcro around and found that strip of that will hold it to my head quite well too. So far I haven't decided how to attach the velcro, but it works just wrapped around the cardboard and my head.

All things considered, I am very pleased with the way it works with my Note 3!

droidzer1
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I decided I didn't want to use my Note 3 for this as it wasn't on the 'official' supported list. I picked up a Moto X used in nice shape and a very good price just to try this out. Got the cardboard kit today and tried it out. Very impressive but the phone does get quite warm in just a few minutes. Androsens was saying it was at 101 degrees F and battery was at 104 degrees F which is higher by far than it normally gets. The warmth was quite noticeable when I pulled the phone back out of the VR kit. I think battery use runs fairly high with this too. Overall I don't think I'd want to run it for long periods and definitely not with my Note 3 (although it might have enough more horsepower that it wouldn't warm up ? )

I saw one of the choices in the cardboard app is Youtube. Does anyone know if the youtubes showing in that are done special for the 3D or are they just normal Youtubes? I saw one that had been on CNN news this morning of a turtle chasing an RC car. It had some dimension to it but you couldn't pan around in that like you can with the other built in apps so I tend to think it's just a normal Youtube.
Long ago I bought a cell phone and was informed by Circuit City I was the first person to buy the very first Digital Cell phone in a test market area in California. I couldn't even use it for a couple days as they were not set up to activate until 6:00 AM on the coming Friday. I was on the land line phone at 5:59 AM that morning and was told I was the first person to activate a Digital Cell phone. They gave me my choice of any phone number I wanted. CA = Cellaholics Anonymous

droidzer1
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I just tried the carboard VR kit now with the Samsung Galaxy S3 and it sort of works except the magnet doesn't work to select items so you have to open the box and tap them to select. This phone also got very warm with just a few minutes use. My phones normally run in the low 80's F but running this they are hitting 99-104 degrees F. Be careful not to fry your phones ! It must max out the CPU speed and voltage to run the 3D stuff. Impressive to get a taste of VR but I'm not sure a most phones could take the heat for running long term. Also the Galaxy S3 doesn't play the Windy Day as this is specific for Motorola and the Moto X.
Long ago I bought a cell phone and was informed by Circuit City I was the first person to buy the very first Digital Cell phone in a test market area in California. I couldn't even use it for a couple days as they were not set up to activate until 6:00 AM on the coming Friday. I was on the land line phone at 5:59 AM that morning and was told I was the first person to activate a Digital Cell phone. They gave me my choice of any phone number I wanted. CA = Cellaholics Anonymous

iZack187
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Can't we just somehow disable all hardware buttons on the Note 3? Disable volume keys, disable power button?
I bought a DodoCase, the phone fits JUST JUST right, but of course all the buttons are pressed, lol. I have a rooted phone running custom roms along with xposed... I'm sure there is a setting somewhere to disable them?
AOSP Galaxy Note 3 (Model W8) - Waiting on a Pac-Man Release...