4.4.2 update and battery life fix

OP joebongo

26th July 2014, 08:42 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

476 posts
Hi,

I know this subject comes up in a variety of topics and it's really hard to sort the wood from the chaff.

So my "cool story bro" is that I had massively poor battery life following KitKat upgrade and have tried many of those battery saver/greenify apps with no resultant improvement.

I bit the bullet and did a factory reset after I had backed up everything with Kies.

End result is battery life is back to normal today.

Cheers,

Joe

26th July 2014, 09:31 PM   |  #2  
Flag Malang, Indonesia
Thanks Meter: 36

156 posts
Donate to Me
More
At first I was thinking you are cooling your battery with bra..
27th July 2014, 05:04 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 159

45 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebongo

Hi,

I know this subject comes up in a variety of topics and it's really hard to sort the wood from the chaff.

So my "cool story bro" is that I had massively poor battery life following KitKat upgrade and have tried many of those battery saver/greenify apps with no resultant improvement.

I bit the bullet and did a factory reset after I had backed up everything with Kies.

End result is battery life is back to normal today.

Cheers,

Joe

+1

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to dash REZA For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th July 2014, 01:19 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 24

523 posts
More
But kies doesn't backup app data.

I want to do a factory reset but can't backup app data. I've used helium before but half the app data backups were corrupted so I lost them.
28th July 2014, 04:50 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Hello, I've had the Note 3 for just under a week and this battery problem is insanely frustrating. Android System uses more than 30% of the battery. I've tried removing the battery, turning off location, wiping the cache and finally doing a factory reset today to no avail. Android System uses around 36% of the battery and AndroidOS uses 11%. I am on N9005 with Kitkat 4.4.2.
28th July 2014, 06:16 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

476 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by necron33

Hello, I've had the Note 3 for just under a week and this battery problem is insanely frustrating. Android System uses more than 30% of the battery. I've tried removing the battery, turning off location, wiping the cache and finally doing a factory reset today to no avail. Android System uses around 36% of the battery and AndroidOS uses 11%. I am on N9005 with Kitkat 4.4.2.

Hi,

I would uninstall all apps you don't desperately need and then do another factory reset. Have you put a lot on it?

Also was the phone new or 2nd hand? Could have a worn out battery in there.

Yours,

Joe
28th July 2014, 06:44 PM   |  #7  

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebongo

Hi,

I would uninstall all apps you don't desperately need and then do another factory reset. Have you put a lot on it?

Also was the phone new or 2nd hand? Could have a worn out battery in there.

Yours,

Joe

It's brand new. But I got it from another country and can not return it. And no I have nothing on it except a few images taken with the camera from the past few days and they're on dropbox.

I was going to wait a little before doing another factory reset. On this cycle it went down from 75% to 45% in 3h 20m with Android System using 27% of the battery, Android OS using 11% and the screen using 21% with 1h 49m screen time. Is that right for this phone, or is it discharging too fast?

Thanks.
28th July 2014, 08:15 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

476 posts
Quote:

It's brand new. But I got it from another country and can not return it. And no I have nothing on it except a few images taken with the camera from the past few days and they're on dropbox.

I was going to wait a little before doing another factory reset. On this cycle it went down from 75% to 45% in 3h 20m with Android System using 27% of the battery, Android OS using 11% and the screen using 21% with 1h 49m screen time. Is that right for this phone, or is it discharging too fast?

Thanks.

Depends on what you did with the screen time. Movies would drain it a fair chunk I'd guess. If it's new then surely the Samsung warranty can be used if it does turn out to be the worst case scenario of a bad one (which is very rare so I'd expect we can get this sorted with the help of the community here).
29th July 2014, 01:27 AM   |  #9  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 24

109 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks.

It is normal if u are running android 4.4.2. Android system takes about 20 to 30% of total battery life. You will get similar result although u use the best custom Rom and kernel.

Sent from N9005 Tweaked Rom & Colonex Kernel R22
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vodeblog For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th July 2014, 12:04 PM   |  #10  

3 posts
I have fixed the problem to a degree.. right now Android System takes 19% of battery and Android OS takes up 10%. What worked for me was disabling an app called "Universal Daemon(EUR)" and changed keep wifi on during sleep to never. The phone used to always hover at the 300 Mhz cpu frequency and never go into deep sleep, right now it does go into deep sleep. Tho I think I'm really unsatisifed with Touchwiz I guess I'll eventually root my phone and replace it with something that isn't as much of a resource hog.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread