[Q] [Solved] Adding ASIX AX88179 chipset (1Gbit ethernet) support to Omega ROM

OP jeweller_by

28th August 2014, 10:34 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
More
I just bought external ethernet network card Edimax EU-4306. It is USB 3.0, 1GBit - so it's a very nice piece of hardware, and excellent accessory for my SM-N9005. This card is based on ASIX AX88179 chipset, and there are Android drivers for this chipset from the manufacturer, but the drivers are not included into firmware of my phone, so the device doesn't work.

My Galaxy Note 3 is rooted, runs Omega ROM v21, so I decided to compile the drivers myself. I downloaded Omega Kernel sources, and found, that there is no kernel modules support in the kernel by default. I recompiled the kernel with kernel modules support enabled, next compiled the drivers (no any problems during compilation), repacked original Omega's boot.img adding modified kernel, but due to unknown reason my phone doesn't boot.

I wanted to contact Omega ROM developers asking them adding the drivers into next release of Omega ROM, but due to absence of 10 posts on the forum I can't do that.

Can anyone please contact Omega developers for me or direct me to a good guide for installing cusom zImage kernels?
Last edited by jeweller_by; 29th August 2014 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Solved
29th August 2014, 07:20 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
More
The answer was easy: Android Image Kitchen v1.6 for Linux from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2073775

Using this tool I rebuilt original boot.img and flushed my new kernel with modules support. Next, I built the device drivers. My device is now working ok!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread