Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,814 Members 51,990 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What causes S-Lag?

Tip us?

sirobelec
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Default [Q] What causes S-Lag?

We all know what I'm talking about.

Have a Galaxy Nope 3 (N9005), stock ROM, go, for example, in Settings -> Connections, and scroll up and down. Chance is, you will see it stutter.

After flashing a multitude of ROMs, AOSP and TW based, I find the stock one most stable, so right now I'm stock, rooted and Wanam-ed.

What exactly causes the legendary S-Lag which causes a device with a quad core 2.3 gHz processor to stutter, and can it be removed without rendering the ROM unstable?

posedatull
Old
Thanks Meter 184
A bad rom or kernel causes it. Tested it out on MultiX 1.5 with kk-Xplorer 1.6 kernel and I dont have it. Then again, i tweaked my kernel and rom to my liking, if you just mass install everything, you will get lag.
Trust nothing, question everything
The Following User Says Thank You to posedatull For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bogdan1980
Old
Thanks Meter 527
Zero lag here, xxuend3, stock kernel, some apps, games disable from startup with android tuner.

Note 3 rooted knox 0, bootloader locked, my last Samsuck crap. I want freedom.
S2 oficial rom Xwlsn 4.1.2, Dorimanx 8.40/or latest beta
Optimus G

nicholaschum
Old
Thanks Meter 1,109

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirobelec View Post
We all know what I'm talking about.

Have a Galaxy Nope 3 (N9005), stock ROM, go, for example, in Settings -> Connections, and scroll up and down. Chance is, you will see it stutter.

After flashing a multitude of ROMs, AOSP and TW based, I find the stock one most stable, so right now I'm stock, rooted and Wanam-ed.

What exactly causes the legendary S-Lag which causes a device with a quad core 2.3 gHz processor to stutter, and can it be removed without rendering the ROM unstable?
Legendary S-Lag = TouchWiz.

On AOSP no ROMs lagged for me, and I tried practically all ROMs available. The worst case are RR's..

On TW based ROMs, a bad experience means a bad governor from your kernel, for your device. Meaning that your device has a specific governor it likes, and to adjust this use Trickster Mod Kernel Settings available on the Play Store. Also heat dispersion and the kernels ability to scale frequency under high amount of load may cause problems, as the higher heat (theoretically more load) hence stutter and graphical latency.

All clean, stock, custom ROMs play nice because they removed a lot of Samsung's default list of S-Apps, which does free up process load on the RAM and processor. As said before TouchWiz plays a big part in lag, however I'm not saying it's not good. The S5 ports all are great but that's because people actually spend the time recompiling broken/useless code from Samsung's source code. Alexndr is a good example - where he started from 0 to 100 recompiling literally all of Samsung's permissions.

This is why people like debloated ROMs.
ROM Problem? Try this or ask me on G+!
Root/TWRP/Kernel/ROM and KNOX 0x0 on N900W8? My guide.

Primary Phone: OnePlus One - A0001
Mahdi v2.7 14/09, ak v40b08, MR-TWRP 2.8.0

Secondary Phone: Note 3 - SM-N900W8
Temasek UO v133, Temasek v3.93, TWRP 2.7.2, NA2 BL, NB7 CP, 0x0

Tablet: Nexus 7 (2012)

OnePlus One ◆ Note 3 ◆ Xperia Tab P ◆ Nexus 7 ◆ Note II LTE ◆ S III LTE ◆ One X ◆ Note I ◆ Galaxy Nexus ◆ S II LTE ◆ S II

The Following User Says Thank You to nicholaschum For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]