Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,633 Members 37,640 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cross ROM Flashing

Tip us?

lnx64
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Cross ROM Flashing

I am trying to find solid answers on this before I do it, but can't find any evidence it will work, and without issue. I just want to gain my T-Mobile wifi calling, and be able to use IPv6, but the ROM that my Note 3 came with, does not allow any of this (APN protocol is perma-greyed out and of course no wifi calling).

So here's what I have: Mexican N900W8

The ROM I want to flash: N900T for T-Mobile. Stock ROM.

Can I just simply use Odin and just flash it without rooting or anything since both are stock ROMs? Or do I still need to root it?

Also, if it will just flash right over, will my phone identify itself as a N900T and get over the air updates for T-Mobile, or will it ID itself as a N900W8 still, and possibly have future update problems?

Lastly, will all the other hardware work fine without issue? Wifi (most important obviously), NFC, etc?

Thanks.

I tried looking for this kind of cross flash but could not find anything whatsoever concrete that re-assures me this will work.

lnx64
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I would really like an answer for this.

Can I cross flash a stock ROM or not, and in this case N900T to N900W8 without any wifi issues?

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1403

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
I am trying to find solid answers on this before I do it, but can't find any evidence it will work, and without issue. I just want to gain my T-Mobile wifi calling, and be able to use IPv6, but the ROM that my Note 3 came with, does not allow any of this (APN protocol is perma-greyed out and of course no wifi calling).

Can I just simply use Odin and just flash it without rooting or anything since both are stock ROMs? Or do I still need to root it?

Also, if it will just flash right over, will my phone identify itself as a N900T and get over the air updates for T-Mobile, or will it ID itself as a N900W8 still, and possibly have future update problems?

Lastly, will all the other hardware work fine without issue? Wifi (most important obviously), NFC, etc?

Thanks.

I tried looking for this kind of cross flash but could not find anything whatsoever concrete that re-assures me this will work.
You can flash 900T ROMS on the W8, however, not via Odin. Has to be done via Custom Recovery and you still have to flash the W8 kernel for it to work. - Essentially yes, You have to root, but I don't think you can get your T-Mobile WiFi calling unless you have an actual N900T.
// LG G3 (D855) // Stock // Stock //

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal) > LG G3 (Titan Grey)

nicholaschum
Old
Thanks Meter 1061

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post

Thanks.

As radical said, you can flash it using custom recovery.

It will show up as N900T instead of N900W8, but you can change this using "build prop editor" from the Play Store.

You will not get any OTA from T-mobile, custom ROMs don't get official OTAs.
Problem with ROM? Try this or ask me on G+!
Root/TWRP/Kernel/ROM and KNOX 0x0 on N900W8? My guide.

Primary Phone: OnePlus One - A0001
Mahdi v2.7 18/08, ak v31, TWRP 2.7.1.1

Secondary Phone: Note 3 - SM-N900W8
Temasek UO v125, Temasek v3.91, TWRP 2.7.1, NA2 BL, NB7 CP, 0x0

Tablet: Nexus 7 (2012)

OnePlus One ◆ Note 3 ◆ Xperia Tab P ◆ Nexus 7 ◆ Note II LTE ◆ S III LTE ◆ One X ◆ Note I ◆ Galaxy Nexus ◆ S II LTE ◆ S II

lnx64
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I went and got a N900T then from T-Mobile. Have a N900W8 for sale now.