Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,957 Members 54,237 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q]Can I disable my phone app?

Tip us?

OffGridiot
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q]Can I disable my phone app?

Hello all,
I'm pretty new to all this Android stuff...and forum stuff, for that matter. Your patience is appreciated.
I have a SG Note 3.
I've been learning a bit about battery drain issues and how I can mitigate some of them by shutting down apps in different ways, and have recently been messing around a bit in the application manager and turning off some of the "bloatware" in there.

I live in quite a rural setting, on the fringes of cell reception. There are a couple of different reasons why I am interested to know if it's possible to turn off the phone app when I know that my phone will not have good reception (which causes it to constantly search harder for a signal, thus draining the battery PDQ) but I don't want to power down the device....For instance, when I'm out on my boat, or hiking/camping where there is little or no signal, and I want to use the GPS-related apps.

In the application manager, for some apps you have the choice to 'turn off', and for others the only option is to 'force stop'. The warning prompt that appears somehow seems more ominous for the 'force stop' option. Perhaps I'm just more cautious about 'forcing' any function because of my son having warned me years ago, with computer related issues, about how it's to be used as a last resort, and using it too often is potentially flirting with disaster.

I do NOT want to root my phone, as I don't trust my level of understanding with these types of thing. If it comes down to buying another battery or two and a charger for them and rotating them in and out of the phone, I suppose I may resort to such a PITA, but hopefully some better ideas come up here.

Thanks in advance,
Bruce

toastido
Old
Thanks Meter 521

DONATE TO ME
Disabling the phone app won't help. What you need to do is turn on airplane mode, then turn on the radios you want on individually (wifi, bt, etc). On stock at least, it'll leave the cellular connection off, and turn on the individual selections until you turn off airplane mode.

Sent from my leanKernel 3.4 powered stock 4.4.2 (NF4) SM-N900T
If I've helped you, hit the Thanks! button!

Devices:
2012 ASUS Nexus 7 - KitKat 4.4.4 Stock ROM - leanKernel(grouper) v4.0
T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3 - KitKat 4.4.2 Stock ROM(N900TUVUDNF4) - leanKernel(N900T) v3.8

Helpful Threads by Me:
The Following User Says Thank You to toastido For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]