Oppo Releases ColorOS for the Find 5… Poorly

Almost every OEM has taken the liberty of creating its own incarnation of the Android OS. … more

XDA LG Development Challenge Winners

Almost 3months ago, we set out with LGto findtwo amazing apps that developers could put together … more

Wearable Apps w/ Andreas Göransson – XDA:DevCon 2014

XDA:DevCon 2014 in Manchester, UK featured quite a few interesting topics as … more

Browse Your Files with Ease using MK Explorer

Google has made quite an effort in perfecting the powerful and multi-faceted OS that we know as … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Help!] Vibration suddenly stopped working, completely

OP soumen.sam

7th August 2014, 03:02 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13

151 posts
Hi all,

Its very weird for me, my phones vibration suddenly stopped working, completely. I tried all restart the phone, pull the battery out and start after 5mins but nothing helped.

If itís a hardware issue then Iím worried as I didnít expect this from a so expensive phone.

I will try factory reset later as Iíve to take all backups but if there any other suggestion please advice. As doing all restore will take time. thanks
7th August 2014, 03:06 PM   |  #2  
Flag Toronto, ON (Hong Kong S.A.R.)
Thanks Meter: 1,768

2,371 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by soumen.sam

Hi all,

Its very weird for me, my phones vibration suddenly stopped working, completely. I tried all restart the phone, pull the battery out and start after 5mins but nothing helped.

If itís a hardware issue then Iím worried as I didnít expect this from a so expensive phone.

I will try factory reset later as Iíve to take all backups but if there any other suggestion please advice. As doing all restore will take time. thanks

Try flashing stock, or close to stock like Alexndr's ROMs. If they work on that, then it's a problem with your ROM..
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholaschum For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th August 2014, 03:33 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

151 posts
I just checked with the *#7353# -- Self Test Mode (2nd Hidden Menu) code. it nothing happens for the vibration test, just the option going blue. Can any one try this and post what it does in other devices as i dont have any more note 3 here.

I think the vibration motor is gone.
8th August 2014, 08:06 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

151 posts
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaschum

Try flashing stock, or close to stock like Alexndr's ROMs. If they work on that, then it's a problem with your ROM..

No other feedback in it. As the self test didn’t turn the vib on so I doubt it’s was hardware problem not a software issue, I googled and check the vib motor location in the phone and give some moderated tap/knock by my finger at the back of the phone and amazingly it started working again.

This is what didn’t expect from a $700 phone. Anyway the issue has been fixed temporarily don’t know what will happen in future.
Last edited by soumen.sam; 8th August 2014 at 11:48 AM.
16th August 2014, 09:08 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

151 posts
I need an advice, if any one of you help. Now the thing is, when the vibration stopped, by tapping from behind it started working but after a day it again goes off and never turned on by any thing, I did the same thing many time but this doesnít help.

After few days I put it on vib mode while listening song and chatting on hangout, I put it in vib mode as new message wont pause the song. But suddenly the vib started again. It worked for that day but next morning it gone again, and then I put it on vib mode and started sending fake msg over hangout many time and it started again after few attempt.

So here I wanted to know itís a hardware issue or software end issue? as I'm really confused. Thanks
16th August 2014, 02:51 PM   |  #6  

2,371 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

by tapping from behind it started working

If it's software, no matter what, nothing can detect a tap from behind.

So it has to be hardware.
18th August 2014, 09:54 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

151 posts
I think this could be a software end issue too, as now if its not working its not starting but hitting from behind, but if I restart its working again. it was off for a day then while I was listening song on vib mode it suddenly started by itself. since then its going off anyway and coming after restart. and it started after the last small OTA update.
20th August 2014, 03:45 AM   |  #8  

2,371 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I think this could be a software end issue too, as now if its not working its not starting but hitting from behind, but if I restart its working again. it was off for a day then while I was listening song on vib mode it suddenly started by itself. since then its going off anyway and coming after restart. and it started after the last small OTA update.

Please use the reply button so I know you actually replied to the thread.

No matter what you do, hitting from behind as a fix means it's hardware. The fact that when you reboot is because it repowers the chip on the board, and when it does it probably allows for some grace working time.
20th August 2014, 07:12 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

151 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaschum

Please use the reply button so I know you actually replied to the thread.

No matter what you do, hitting from behind as a fix means it's hardware. The fact that when you reboot is because it repowers the chip on the board, and when it does it probably allows for some grace working time.

My Bad, I usually do so but somehow missed that.

Yes I doubt it’s a hardware issue but before repairing or replacing the vibration parts I wanted to try fix it by software end if this is a software issue. I still have the warranty period left for 6month or so but the thing is here in India Samsung doesn’t replace the complete faulty device like they or apple does in US. The always repair or replace the faulty parts. And I’m not comfortable to use a repaired phone.

What I was trying to do is I wanted to reinstall the stock latest firmware by Kies 3. I really don’t want to use any custom rom, neither rooting as Stock is quite good for me and fulfill my all requirement what I need for my work. But the thing is with Kies 3 1stly it always showing “N-900 Device not supported” when I was trying “firmware upgrade and initialization” but somehow I manage to let it work but at the end it showing “you are already have latest firmware” and it stopped.

I googled it as saw all those have this same issue, factory reset didn’t solve this, neither hard reset. I wanted to know is there any way to reinstall the same stock official updated firmware easily by Kies 3? I don’t wanted to do it by odin and a downloaded pack from sammobile, I am looking for a fast and easy official way. the reason I don’t want to use by odin is it will require lots of learning to learn the whole thing to avoid messing up with it, and I really don’t have time for this.

Also another question is: when I went to download mode for the 1st time I see its says “Knox warranty 0x” what does that mean? Warranty void or its still under it. I saw people have 0x0 or 0x1 but didn’t see any one having 0x only. Please advice, thanks

Edit: also now the vibration coming and going off by itself, like yesterday night it was not working but when I wakeup it was working, and no restart meanwhile. BUT I observed most of the time its turning off when I’m charging the phone or at the end of charging or before pulling the charging cable off. When charging starts it was vibrating and during charging it working same, but after I pull the cable, it stopped.
Last edited by soumen.sam; 20th August 2014 at 08:51 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread