Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,623 Members 50,115 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Messages app freezing after restoring messages from old phone

Tip us?

firemandan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Messages app freezing after restoring messages from old phone

So, basically the title. I had a Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx HD that was running 4.4 and used SMS Backup and Restore to backup my SMS so I could transfer them to my Galaxy Note 3. Ran the restore with no issues, but now that it's finished, anytime I open the Messages app it tells me how many converstaions I have, but nothing works. It doesn't actually show any of my threads. When I press back, the app takes a minute and then force closes. Pressing anywhere within the app will eventually cause a force close and not actually do anything. Anyone have any ideas? I would greatly appreciate any help!

MystaMagoo
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemandan View Post
So, basically the title. I had a Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx HD that was running 4.4 and used SMS Backup and Restore to backup my SMS so I could transfer them to my Galaxy Note 3. Ran the restore with no issues, but now that it's finished, anytime I open the Messages app it tells me how many converstaions I have, but nothing works. It doesn't actually show any of my threads. When I press back, the app takes a minute and then force closes. Pressing anywhere within the app will eventually cause a force close and not actually do anything. Anyone have any ideas? I would greatly appreciate any help!
try clearing it's cache and data
SG Note 3

Stock JB 4.3

firemandan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I've tried data and the issue persists.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app

vndnguyen
Old
Thanks Meter 696

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemandan View Post
I've tried data and the issue persists.

May be the problem is due to database inconsistency.

Instead of using SMS Backup and Restore, try to use another backup/restore method, e.g. Titanium Backup or MyBackup Pro?

Or try to backup/restore some only threads (instead of backup/restore all), to eliminate the problem.

firemandan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Yeah I would use titanium but I'm not rooting this phone yet. I just said screw it and started from a clean slate haha. Thanks for the advice guys.