Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Monstruous cache size! More than 1 TB!!

OP powersimon

4th August 2014, 05:27 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 17

85 posts
Hi all,
I'm experiencing a strange behaviour of my Note 3 (SM-N9005 - stock KK 4.4.2 - XXUFNG2 - not rooted). As you can see in the attached image, the cache size is 1,47 TB!!! Going deeper into this, I found out that it is related to three apps, each with more or less 500 GB of cache.
Two of them are user apps (Office suite and Amazon apps shop) and if I uninstall them the amount of cache is reduced of 1 TB, as expected. The last one is a system app, Google Newsstand, and I obviously can't delete it.

If I clean the cache via usual apps the amount of cache cleaned is "right": about 10-30 MB, no mention of strange TB-sized cache.

Yesterday I did a wipe cache partition, with no results at all.

So the questions are:
- why the amount of the cache is so ridiculously high? Maybe the internal SD card is broken?
- why are there two different values for the cache amount (second image)?

Suggestions are welcome.

Bye, Simon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-04-13-57-54.png
Views:	141
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	2883709   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-04-17-13-05.png
Views:	132
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	2883710  
4th August 2014, 10:21 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 120

221 posts
It could be wrong reported cache that is attached to your account. Stop wonder if your device work normally. Have you tried to clean cache with internal setting (just press on cache then clean).
Last edited by goodoane; 4th August 2014 at 10:27 PM.
4th August 2014, 10:49 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

85 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoane

It could be wrong reported cache that is attached to your account. Stop wonder if your device work normally. Have you tried to clean cache with internal setting (just press on cache then clean).

Sure I did. The wiped amount of cache is about 10-30 MB, that huge gigasized cache remains completely untouched. Actually it seems to be invincible.

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005 utilizzando Tapatalk
5th August 2014, 05:36 AM   |  #4  
Flag Toronto, ON (Hong Kong S.A.R.)
Thanks Meter: 1,739

2,324 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by powersimon

Hi all,
I'm experiencing a strange behaviour of my Note 3 (SM-N9005 - stock KK 4.4.2 - XXUFNG2 - not rooted). As you can see in the attached image, the cache size is 1,47 TB!!! Going deeper into this, I found out that it is related to three apps, each with more or less 500 GB of cache.
Two of them are user apps (Office suite and Amazon apps shop) and if I uninstall them the amount of cache is reduced of 1 TB, as expected. The last one is a system app, Google Newsstand, and I obviously can't delete it.

If I clean the cache via usual apps the amount of cache cleaned is "right": about 10-30 MB, no mention of strange TB-sized cache.

Yesterday I did a wipe cache partition, with no results at all.

So the questions are:
- why the amount of the cache is so ridiculously high? Maybe the internal SD card is broken?
- why are there two different values for the cache amount (second image)?

Suggestions are welcome.

Bye, Simon

It's clearly incorrectly reported cache. No way in hell would our phones have 1TB of memory. If it did then daaaaaaamn.

If after you cleared the cache from Recovery, and used Clean Master to wipe the cache, and it still didn't work, flash stock.
Last edited by nicholaschum; 5th August 2014 at 05:38 AM.
5th August 2014, 01:19 PM   |  #5  
Flag Enschede, The Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 1,037

4,155 posts
More
Seeing as how the device only has a 32GB drive, logic clearly dictates this is just a glitch.

Ignore it. You have 12,44GB free.
5th August 2014, 02:06 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

85 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLea

Seeing as how the device only has a 32GB drive, logic clearly dictates this is just a glitch.

Ignore it. You have 12,44GB free.

Yes, this was obvious. I was asking if this issue could be related to a broken internal SD...
5th August 2014, 02:23 PM   |  #7  

4,155 posts
More
Quote:

Yes, this was obvious. I was asking if this issue could be related to a broken internal SD...

Doubtful. It displays the original size and free size accurately. Same SD.

Try emptying the cache through Recovery.

(Shut down the device, press and hold volume up, home and power, let go on the Samsung logo, navigate with volume keys to Wipe Cache Partition, hit the home key to confirm, wait and navigate to reboot now. DON'T click home whilst on Factory Reset/Wipe Data.)
5th August 2014, 03:20 PM   |  #8  
OP Member

85 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLea

Try emptying the cache through Recovery.
(Shut down the device, press and hold volume up, home and power, let go on the Samsung logo, navigate with volume keys to Wipe Cache Partition, hit the home key to confirm, wait and navigate to reboot now. DON'T click home whilst on Factory Reset/Wipe Data.)

Already done, as I wrote.
Strangely, nothing changed. Now I'm waiting to completely factory-restore the device.
6th August 2014, 12:23 AM   |  #9  

4,155 posts
More
Quote:

Already done, as I wrote.
Strangely, nothing changed. Now I'm waiting to completely factory-restore the device.

My mistake, thought you meant cleared the cache through settings.

If a reset doesn't work, you can always try reflashing the firmware.
6th August 2014, 12:53 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 92

356 posts
I have experienced this once! It was from changing ROM(Jackaway to Stock or was it the other way around). I was bothered by how I had lesser free space when I had the same apps at that time.

It seems that the emulated path created a copy of everything in my internal memory like the obbs and stuff which were huge. Accidentally discovered it when pressing the back again and again in Solid Explorer. What I did was deleted it there. I lost my files but I had backup so everything was good.

In conclusion, delete the duplicated files in emulated or internal somewhere. Just backup and then manually delete it. And to be even cleaner, factory reset. Hope it helps.

PS. Mine was bigger about 2GB+ lol. Also when restoring, remove the sd card. I hate it when some apps go to sd when restoring. Lol

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread