Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,758 Members 46,567 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is the Note 3 a good upgrade to the Note 1?

Tip us?

vma
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Is the Note 3 a good upgrade to the Note 1?

Hi,

Yesterday my precious Galaxy Note GT-N7000 was stolen.

I am considering to get myself a Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N9005).

The questions:

1) Is the Note 3 a good choice? I used my Note 1 over two years, mainly for these tasks:

- phone (duh)
- e-mails
- web browsing
- ebooks
- music
- movies
- taking pictures

Is the usability same or better, for these tasks?

2) I never rooted my N1, nor did I use custom ROM's. Why? Because I got scared with the EMMC Brick Bug.
Is the N3 fine to flash with custom ROM's? Any Brick Bug? What about the firmware counter? Can it be reset?

3) How is the screen? Is FullHD really an improvement over 1280x720? Or does it just waste battery and CPU?

4) Are there proven burn-in issues on the screen?

The main question, though, is: how does the N3 compare to much cheaper phones like the bq Aquaris 5" or the upcoming 6"? They cost less than half. I wonder if they are good enough, since the lower price means less worrying about such an expensive item.

I always was scared to **** to drop my N1 and often preferred to take a cheap phone with me, instead, when I had to go to rougher terrain.

Also, half the price would mean I could change phone twice as often - my N1 actually really sucked after 2 years: it was sooo sloooowwww. Everything I did, I had to wait for up to 3 seconds. Like opening the contacts - that even took longer!

I think Samsung killed the phone with all the bloatware and respective updates over the two years. Add the brick bug and my experience was not that good. However, my N1 was like new, had a great screen and once the app started, it was quick.

So what's your opinion?

Thanks,
vma
My gear:
  • Blue Angel
  • Universal #1
  • HP iPAQ Voice Messenger 514
  • Universal #2
  • VDA GPS
  • Athena x7500
  • iPhone 3GS 32GB
  • ZTE Blade
  • Nokia n900
  • Samsung Galaxy Note
My other hobby: Satellite TV

celderic
Old
Thanks Meter 180
1) I used the n7000 for about a week before i bought a new n9005, never looked back

2) to properly root your device with a custom recovery.. no the n9005 flash counter cannot be reset currently. Mine was 0x1 the day i bought it i needed a custom recovery.

3) I love the screen on here, the colours and resoloution look very nice.

4) the screen will probably burn over time.. most do, but 6 months of 75%+ brightness not a sign yet.

Got this n9005 in december lastyear, have not looked at another device since, i have it set up perfectly.. amazing battery life, 4g.. 32gb storage and sdcard.. 3gb of ram..a very good camera! Also i really like the speaker position. The usb 3 charging cable is much more sturdy too.

I hope this answers your question...but i am biased because this is a note 3 forum

Sent from my SM-N9005

antique_sonic
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by vma View Post
Hi,

Yesterday my precious Galaxy Note GT-N7000 was stolen.

I am considering to get myself a Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N9005).

The questions:

1) Is the Note 3 a good choice? I used my Note 1 over two years, mainly for these tasks:

- phone (duh)
- e-mails
- web browsing
- ebooks
- music
- movies
- taking pictures
are you kidding ?
N3 is much more better compare to N1. Though the bloatware still a lot (or perhaps a lot more compare to N1), but the hardware specs itself is much way better than N1. You should google the comparison of N1 and N3 to have a better view/understanding on hardware differences.

Quote:
2) I never rooted my N1, nor did I use custom ROM's. Why? Because I got scared with the EMMC Brick Bug.
Is the N3 fine to flash with custom ROM's? Any Brick Bug? What about the firmware counter? Can it be reset?
N3 doesn't have eMMC brick bug as compare to N1, and never face any SDS as in N2.
But, to be frank, before you root / flash any custom system, my advise to you is to check the multitouch issue (you can simply download multitouch tester from google play). Some device has this issue (I don't). And try to check the screen for dead pixels / any strange issue.
N3 counter is not the binary counter which is reversable. N3 and other Samsung devices come with KNOX flag, which is irreversible once it is tripped. It can be tripped if you try to flash anything related to system which is not digitally signed by samsung (ex. root, custom recovery, custom ROM). But there's towelroot now, which is reported can work for certain firmware. You may google more about this tools (as I don't bother with it, my device tripped already)

Quote:
3) How is the screen? Is FullHD really an improvement over 1280x720? Or does it just waste battery and CPU?
yep, you should try to play with it first before you buy. At least you will know the improvement.

Quote:
The main question, though, is: how does the N3 compare to much cheaper phones like the bq Aquaris 5" or the upcoming 6"? They cost less than half. I wonder if they are good enough, since the lower price means less worrying about such an expensive item.
I don't suggest to compare N3 with other cheaper phones, as the specs itself is really different a lot. But there are some other phones come up as competitors to N3 (e.g. HTC M8, Xperia Z2, LG G3, Oppo Find 7a, 1+ One).
Sorry, but I never heard Aquaris.

Quote:
I always was scared to **** to drop my N1 and often preferred to take a cheap phone with me, instead, when I had to go to rougher terrain.

Also, half the price would mean I could change phone twice as often - my N1 actually really sucked after 2 years: it was sooo sloooowwww. Everything I did, I had to wait for up to 3 seconds. Like opening the contacts - that even took longer!

I think Samsung killed the phone with all the bloatware and respective updates over the two years. Add the brick bug and my experience was not that good. However, my N1 was like new, had a great screen and once the app started, it was quick.

So what's your opinion?

Thanks,
vma
N3 price is way cheaper now compare to 1st launch. But indeed it is an expensive device. For me, I have no choice but to use, as I use the S-Pen for working as well.
But I never face any lagging at N3. I did face it with N2 (sometimes), and definitely N1.
~WJ~
Learn.... Learn.... & Learn
Learn till you die, and you will die a happy man

Q & A for XNote Galaxy S5 (All Questions about X-Note Galaxy S5 PORT) :
[Q&A]X-Note G900F S5 PORT

xclub_101
Old
Thanks Meter 311
Quote:

4) Are there proven burn-in issues on the screen?

So what's your opinion?

Thanks,
vma

1) yes, 3GB RAM, FHD and higher brightness helps; also clearly better camera.

2) Note 3 is OK on eMMC, you can flash a huge lot of things (unless you get a bootloader-locked version); there is a knox counter which you can still keep 0 with a little care (read about it, there is a lot to read - but absolute first thing is to stop all updates until you decide on it, both in firmware and security)

3) screen is an improvement

4) not that I know of, probably less than on note 1.

5,6) Aquaris is a 1GB RAM phone - NEVER again buy one! Most of the slowness is from RAM, that is also one reason why your note 1 was so slow. 2GB inexpensive phones are now available from China (or from companies like Aquaris which re-brand such cheap phones at a premium price) but build variability is higher (meaning more duds) and you never know what future software update you will get (if ever).
N9005 Universal Root De La Vega / Mobile Odin Pro, Knox 0x0, MJ7

vma
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far.

The bq Aquaris E6 I mentioned, will be available next month. The specs (in spanish) are: http://www.bqreaders.com/productos/a...html#techspecs

The price is half of what a N3 would cost me.

To clarify my questions:

1) Of course the N3 is better than the N1 and I am not even considering buying a cheap N1 or N2. What I meant is: is the N3 as good an experience in 2014 as the N1 was in 2012? Does it fully satisfy you guys? I do expect the best from a premium product like this.

2) I am glad that the eMMC bug is not present, however I am pissed off, as I discovered the multi touch issues. How bad is it really?

3) The burn-in: I am the kind of person who would never enjoy a plasma screen because while watching a movie, I would be paying more attention to constant parts of the image possibly burning in, instead of enjoying the movie. Here it is the same: I find in unacceptable to notice that the upper status bar left that part of the screen brighter or darker after a few months of usage.

4) What about heating up? I was disappointed by the N1, when I tried to play 3D games and the CPU heated up so much. I got concerned if it would melt, that's how hot it got. Any issues with the N3? I know it will actually speed down, if the heat gets to much, but will that reduce performance significantly?

5) I just noticed: there is only one or two (?) official Samsung case (or whatever you would call it). How do you guys protect the phone? I used to have a sleeve on my N1, but there doesn't seem to be one by Samsung anymore.

Please don't get offended, but I am struggeling between these options:

- Samsung N3 (that's what I really want, but at the price, it needs to last 2-3 years without any problem and after that period, it would still have to serve as a backup phone)
- Cheap chinese clone (would allow me to change phone sooner and would be less problematic if I drop/break or lose it)
- Apple iPhone 5S (the reason I am considering this: it apparently just works and has a great set of security, which is what I learned to value, when my N1 got stolen: I had data on the external SD (can be read by any PC), the PIN was active, but no "self-erase" function was available if the pin was entered 5 times wrong, etc.)

But the bottom line is: I have doubts about this multi touch issue and I wonder why so many people post that the screen should be checked for dead pixels.

I buy my phones from a big distributor and if the phone has problems it is a major pain to exchange it, especially if it is a "minor" problem in the eyes of the distributor.

Thanks for your opinions.

Cheers,
vma
My gear:
  • Blue Angel
  • Universal #1
  • HP iPAQ Voice Messenger 514
  • Universal #2
  • VDA GPS
  • Athena x7500
  • iPhone 3GS 32GB
  • ZTE Blade