Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,812 Members 49,007 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Poor bluetooth audio quality when connected to Gear

Tip us?

oddbehreif
Old
(Last edited by oddbehreif; 1st September 2014 at 07:41 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Default [Q] Poor bluetooth audio quality when connected to Gear

Hey there,

I'm no audiophile - but this has been bugging me ever since I unboxed my Galaxy Gear and paired it with my Note 3.

I listen to music a lot on my phone using my bluetooth headphones. I noticed that whenever my Gear is connected, bluetooth audio quality suffers a lot - it feels like the bitrate is cut in half or something (shouldn't be necessary, I know BT 4.0 has much more bandwidth than SBC encoded music requires). Highs crackle and feel tinny, and the lows become shallow.

Is there a way to remedy this? I'd hate to have to disconnect my Gear everytime I want to listen to music, which is what I've been doing for the last eight and a half months. Custom ROMs don't help, and it doesn't seem to matter either whether my Gear runs Tizen or Android.

Thanks in advance, I'm psyched to try anything anyone has to offer.

-odd

PS. Even if you can't offer a solution, if you've noticed the same thing please reply to this thread so I know I'm not insane or anything. Thanks

shareonline
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbehreif View Post
Hey there,

I'm no audiophile - but this has been bugging me ever since I unboxed my Galaxy Gear and paired it with my Note 3.

I listen to music a lot on my phone using my bluetooth headphones. I noticed that whenever my Gear is connected, bluetooth audio quality suffers a lot - it feels like the bitrate is cut in half or something (shouldn't be necessary, I know BT 4.0 has much more bandwidth than SBC encoded music requires). Highs crackle and feel tinny, and the lows become shallow.

Is there a way to remedy this? I'd hate to have to disconnect my Gear everytime I want to listen to music, which is what I've been doing for the last eight and a half months. Custom ROMs don't help, and it doesn't seem to matter either whether my Gear runs Tizen or Android.

Thanks in advance, I'm psyched to try anything anyone has to offer.

-odd

PS. Even if you can't offer a solution, if you've noticed the same thing please reply to this thread so I know I'm not insane or anything. Thanks
Same thing on my Xperia Z2.. Try Google bluedroid android Bluetooth stack..

oddbehreif
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by shareonline View Post
Same thing on my Xperia Z2.. Try Google bluedroid android Bluetooth stack..
Thanks for the suggestion.

CSR diagnostics revealed that bitpool was indeed dropped from 52 to 35 whenever Gear was connected, however this problem counts as solved because I actually managed to enable the hidden aptX support in my headphones, so low bitpool is no longer an issue.

In short: Stop using SBC and the problem will go away.
Tags
gear a2dp poor quality