Materialized LeanDroid Fights Your Poor Battery Life

Battery life has always been one of the biggest problems facing most Android devices. … more

Bump! Workaround for the LG G3 Locked Bootloader – XDA TV

The LG G3 is a power house device. It’s been a favorite of many people. … more

Enable Call Recording on Xperia Z2 and Z3

Call recording, while not legal in every part of the world, is quite handy in certain situations. … more

Google Play Store Payments Available in China

Google has taken a big step to make its services accessible globally. Since the introduction of … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Poor bluetooth audio quality when connected to Gear

OP oddbehreif

31st August 2014, 09:44 PM   |  #1  
oddbehreif's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 48
 
138 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Hey there,


I'm no audiophile - but this has been bugging me ever since I unboxed my Galaxy Gear and paired it with my Note 3.

I listen to music a lot on my phone using my bluetooth headphones. I noticed that whenever my Gear is connected, bluetooth audio quality suffers a lot - it feels like the bitrate is cut in half or something (shouldn't be necessary, I know BT 4.0 has much more bandwidth than SBC encoded music requires). Highs crackle and feel tinny, and the lows become shallow.

Is there a way to remedy this? I'd hate to have to disconnect my Gear everytime I want to listen to music, which is what I've been doing for the last eight and a half months. Custom ROMs don't help, and it doesn't seem to matter either whether my Gear runs Tizen or Android.

Thanks in advance, I'm psyched to try anything anyone has to offer.

-odd


PS. Even if you can't offer a solution, if you've noticed the same thing please reply to this thread so I know I'm not insane or anything. Thanks
Last edited by oddbehreif; 1st September 2014 at 08:41 AM.
3rd September 2014, 11:11 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
131 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbehreif

Hey there,


I'm no audiophile - but this has been bugging me ever since I unboxed my Galaxy Gear and paired it with my Note 3.

I listen to music a lot on my phone using my bluetooth headphones. I noticed that whenever my Gear is connected, bluetooth audio quality suffers a lot - it feels like the bitrate is cut in half or something (shouldn't be necessary, I know BT 4.0 has much more bandwidth than SBC encoded music requires). Highs crackle and feel tinny, and the lows become shallow.

Is there a way to remedy this? I'd hate to have to disconnect my Gear everytime I want to listen to music, which is what I've been doing for the last eight and a half months. Custom ROMs don't help, and it doesn't seem to matter either whether my Gear runs Tizen or Android.

Thanks in advance, I'm psyched to try anything anyone has to offer.

-odd


PS. Even if you can't offer a solution, if you've noticed the same thing please reply to this thread so I know I'm not insane or anything. Thanks

Same thing on my Xperia Z2.. Try Google bluedroid android Bluetooth stack..
6th September 2014, 05:56 AM   |  #3  
oddbehreif's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 48
 
138 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shareonline

Same thing on my Xperia Z2.. Try Google bluedroid android Bluetooth stack..

Thanks for the suggestion.

CSR diagnostics revealed that bitpool was indeed dropped from 52 to 35 whenever Gear was connected, however this problem counts as solved because I actually managed to enable the hidden aptX support in my headphones, so low bitpool is no longer an issue.

In short: Stop using SBC and the problem will go away.
24th September 2014, 11:09 PM   |  #4  
MaLiXs's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Montreal QC
Thanks Meter: 230
 
745 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
More
I don't know how you do that. I got the same issue with my gear and galaxy s5 paired with my sol republic track air. those headphone are supposed to use aptx but my music still suffer a lot when connected to Gear

Sent from my Galaxy S5
Last edited by MaLiXs; 24th September 2014 at 11:32 PM.
7th October 2014, 04:44 AM   |  #5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
63 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Thumbs down
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLiXs

I don't know how you do that. I got the same issue with my gear and galaxy s5 paired with my sol republic track air. those headphone are supposed to use aptx but my music still suffer a lot when connected to Gear

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Yes, same thing here. This really grinds my gear(s).

But seriously, I am quite angry about this.
7th October 2014, 04:46 AM   |  #6  
MaLiXs's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Montreal QC
Thanks Meter: 230
 
745 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rytymu

Yes, same thing here. This really grinds my gear(s).

But seriously, I am quite angry about this.

I got the gear as a gift and I didnt use it anymore ... my music is more important that a watch ....
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gear a2dp poor quality
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes