Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[PSA][GUIDE] Bricked your Optus N9007 32GB by flashing a TGY-region ROM? Read this!

OP SiChip

4th September 2014, 06:22 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

15 posts
A little PSA for the N9007 model owners (Mainly Australian Optus and Virgin Mobile customers) out there.

If you are looking at your branded Note 3 N9007, and are thinking, "Hmm, that non-branded TGY-region ROM looks like a fine choice to de-brand my phone with", think again.

TGY-region ROM N9007ZHU3ANG2 WILL SOFTBRICK YOUR DEVICE! It is for the 16 GB variety of the N9007, and as such, has a different partition table. I suspect this is the case with all TGY-region ROMs too.

On top of that, you will NOT be able to flash back to the latest OPS (N9007DIUCNE6) ROM, as it has an older bootloader (NE6 as opposed to NG2) and will prevent you from flashing back to it.

If you have already befallen this trap and soft-bricked your device, then I will try to help you briefly in recovering your ~$800 smartphone.

This technique of unbricking your device WILL TRIP KNOX, but unless you're willing to wait for Optus to come out with a new stock ROM, then this is likely your only option to unbrick.

yiannig has successfully unbricked his Note 3, so it is definitely possible to recover from this.

1. You've got a soft-bricked N9007 32 GB, make sure it actually is an N9007 with 32 GB of storage. Read the box. This has only been tested on this model.

2. Download this BTU N9005 NG1 ROM and flash it with Odin. Version 3.07 is reported to work best on the Note 3. It will fail as soon as you start the flash. This is meant to happen. It will give us access to the stock recovery and will get past the Emergency Download Mode. I have no idea why it does this, but it does.

This next step WILL TRIP KNOX.
3. Download TWRP Recovery for the N9005. Flash this with Odin. Odin will reset your phone but after Odin says "Removed!!", unplug your phone and power it off by holding the power button. "PASS" won't actually come up until it times out after 2 minutes so ignore it, it works fine. Power it back on again by holding Volume Up + Home + Power. it will tell you recovery is not SEAndroid-enforcing, this is fine, and is the thing that trips KNOX.

4. Once the recovery has booted (It's really cool-looking and you can use the touch screen~) Go to wipe, and wipe system. It will see that there is no system partition and will create one from the PIT info, at least I think that's what it does. The thing is, it shows up as successful, so that's all that matters.

5. Download SweetROM or EchoeROM. Both are confirmed to flash correctly, SweetROM by me, EchoeROM by yiannig. Put it on a microSD card and put the card in your phone. Alternatively, put it on a USB drive and connect it to your phone with an OTG cable, then mount it using TWRP's mount tool.

6. Flash the ROM! After flashing, tap the button to wipe Dalvik and cache, just in case. Then, reboot your phone! The first boot will take a while probably, but your phone will very most likely work.

If you're worried about losing half your storage due to flashing the TGY-region ROM, don't fret, the PIT file comes off the phone and not from the actual ROM .tar.md5, so no re-partitioning will occur and you will have all 32 GB of storage.

Again, huuuuuge thanks to yiannig for helping, without him my N9007 would still be sitting in my bag while I used an old HTC One XL with a busted digitiser!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, your modem will likely be just fine, but if it is not, download the latest OPS-region ROM (N9007DIUCNE6), rename it so the .md5 is not on the end, extract it with WinRAR, get the modem.bin and flash that with Odin.

This technique *may* work for TGY-region 16GB N9007 users who have soft-beicked their device somehow, but I have no guarantees that it will work.
Last edited by SiChip; 4th September 2014 at 06:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SiChip For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
guide, n9007, n9007zhu3ang2, softbrick, unbrick
Previous Thread Next Thread